Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2018 Bonnie Speedmaster
kvdv Offline
1st Service Completed

U.S.
2018 Bonnie Speedmaster
This isn't the first time we'll have discussed this bike. I must admit I'm being pulled in like a tractor beam, my friends. I almost can't believe how perfectly Triumph has captured here my decades-long dream of what a proper motorcycle should look like. Unless I discover something about it I absolutely can't live with, my 2014 DLX may be up for sale soon to make room. I may have to figure out how to tour with less luggage, but that might not be a bad thing. I'll keep y'all posted as to how this turns out...

01-03-2018 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: 2018 Bonnie Speedmaster
I dunno, kvdv, for me it’s pretty, but it can’t quite knock the DLX off the perch in the beauty competition. However, I won’t be buying one, so it doesn’t really matter.

Good luck. We’ll look forward to hearing lots more about it.
01-03-2018 04:54 PM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
I am in no way a cruiser guy, never have been, can't say that i ever will, but that's a good looking moto.
01-03-2018 05:32 PM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
Good looking bike. The company builds quality products.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
01-03-2018 06:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
That kind of look is a bit on the chunky side for me, but I can understand the appeal. It's got that late 50's/early 60's (?) kind of vibe to it that's been popular with a lot of folks lately. I would add that Triumph executed this look nicely.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-03-2018 06:57 PM
kvdv Offline
1st Service Completed

U.S.
(01-03-2018 05:32 PM)Bheezy27403 Wrote:  I am in no way a cruiser guy, never have been, can't say that i ever will, but that's a good looking moto.
I hear what you're saying. The "cruiser thing" has me second guessing myself a little. On the other hand, I actually did ride a cruiser when I first started riding again after a 15 year hiatus (2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900), and I will say that other than the terrible seat, I enjoyed that bike immensely. My least favorite bike ever, strictly from a fit and comfort standpoint, was a 2007 FJR. An engineering marvel yes, but way too much for me. Was always on the verge of dropping it, which I did twice. Went from that to my beloved 2007 Bonnie T100, my favorite bike ever and which seemed custom made just for me and looked great (which matters more to me than perhaps it should). I respect the heck out the DLX I have, always imagined it as a T100 on steroids, but I have always been a little less in love with it than the T100, and it's nowhere near as easy to ride as either the Bonnie or the old Vulcan was. Now Triumph is tempting me with that British styling I love mixed with a build that should be nearly effortless to ride - low seat, low center of gravity, good stuff.
I have the privilege of being able to rip around on my wife's 2015 Scout now and then (Holy God does that thing just about rip your arms out of their sockets!!), and I have to say that even though I'm fully aware of the advantages the upright riding position on CB1100 or T100, the cruiser-style forward controls don't bother me. I think the only things I'm concerned about with this new Speedmaster are: seat comfort (can always have it rebuilt for me at Rich's...he worked magic on the DLX seat!), cornering clearance (but I'm ok with slowing down a bit, too old to be in a hurry anymore!), and maybe luggage space (but I've consistently packed way more than I need on trips anyway). We shall see. Whatever happens, I'll always keep checking in here; this is the best forum group ever. Oh yeah..one other concern...Triumph hasn't announced the pricing yet either. If it's way too high, that might change things a bit Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2018 07:48 PM by The ferret.)
01-03-2018 07:43 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
When I look at this bike the first word that comes to mind is "Bobber" (not cruiser) That look is big with quite a few of the hipsters these days, which usually tends to mean a recreation of something that appeals to us older guys, lol. I totally get it kvdv — you should definitely go for what you like, that's how so many of us ended up with the CB1100. If this bike presses more of your buttons than the CB1100 does then that's the bike you should get. I hope it works out for you.

01-03-2018 09:19 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
It's refreshing to hear someone proclaim their choice of bike based on how it looks. We often get caught up with spec sheets, power-to-weight ratios, hp, number of cylinders, blah blah blah. To me, what's most important is how the bike makes us feel, however we choose to define that. Good on you, kvdv. Looks like a blast!

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
01-03-2018 09:29 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(01-03-2018 09:29 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  It's refreshing to hear someone proclaim their choice of bike based on how it looks. We often get caught up with spec sheets, power-to-weight ratios, hp, number of cylinders, blah blah blah. To me, what's most important is how the bike makes us feel, however we choose to define that.

Exactly! This is totally why I ended up with the CB1100. Ideally, buying a motorcycle should be fueled by the emotions the bike brings out in you.

kvdv, if you're even halfway as excited about the Speedmaster as I was about the CB1100 when it first came out, then I'm predicting great things for you and this bike.

01-03-2018 09:40 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Pretty sure that my wife is going to like this bike when she sees it at the bike show next month. Could be just the bike for her - the ergos look better for her than her CTX and it can be set up nicely for touring. We'll see what February brings.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-03-2018 09:42 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>