• 0 Votes - 0 Average
W650
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
W650
As a owner of a 2013 cb1100 I’m a fan of the modern retro.. but I need a little
Advice on another different bike.

One of the bikes I wish I had gotten when it came out was one of the 1st, the kawi w650, but life, marriage divorce, etc intervened. . So since it’s come out, it’s always been on my radar as something to look at for in he used market, but it’s commanded a rather high price (like used 2013 cb1100 $)..

At least till now.. There is now one for sale locally (35 mins away) for $1900 bucks.. it was involved in a tip over, but fixed via insurance (#1), and it’s been in a shed for over a year so it’s not running but it’s not seized (#2). The paint looks good, and the metal needs a good polish, but it looks solid..

I’m in if it won’t take much to get it back on the road.. figure it needs a carb clean, fluid flush (oil/clutch/brake), plus new pad and tires.. It would not be the first rehab I’ve done, but those where on Honda’s where not much needed to be replaced..

Thoughts anyone?

Seller wants in gone, has gotten a lot of interest but nobody with $ so far.. I need another bike like a hole in the head, but I’d probably get off my butt and sell the 03 wide glide, which would recoup the purchase price and any parts..

Thx in adv
Jason

[u]'13 cb1100[/u] came with black grab rails, headlight & side covers, hagofuku front/rear fenders, and cats eye blinkers.[u]Added by me[/u]: Staintune Slip-on, Moriwaki sliders, Sport Trunk Seat, Lucas black taillight
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2018 05:45 AM by The ferret.)
01-03-2018 11:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
RE: W650
Many years ago I was in Powell's books here in Portland. They always have a pretty interesting selection of "Transportation" books. That particular day I ran across a factory service manual for the W650. I carried it around with me in the store for a while, then put it back on the shelf. Then I repeated that process one more time. I really wanted to buy that book because in the back of my mind I thought that I might own one of these bikes one day. Gorgeous bikes — definitely one of my all-time favorite "modern retros". Never did end up with one but the last time I was checking out the market for these bikes they were far and few between and there definitely weren't any good deals to be found.

Good luck!

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-04-2018 12:32 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
A few minutes ago I saw this post from LongRanger about another bike:

(01-03-2018 09:29 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  It's refreshing to hear someone proclaim their choice of bike based on how it looks. We often get caught up with spec sheets, power-to-weight ratios, hp, number of cylinders, blah blah blah. To me, what's most important is how the bike makes us feel, however we choose to define that.

If you like the W650—and I think it and it’s successor, the W850 are beautiful—and there’s nothing wrong with the one you’re looking at, buy it. I’ve not heard bad things about them.

PM Wisedrum, one of our members who has the W850 (I think) and really enjoys it.

Good luck.
01-04-2018 05:06 AM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
My riding buddy has two of them and loves them , they have been VERY reliable and are still collectable bikes.
Of course they might become less collectable with al the new retro bikes coming out.
01-04-2018 05:09 AM
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
I rode one of those when they first came to the US in the early 2000s. Terrific bike for the backroads; seems to me that Kawasaki built a better Triumph Bonneville (and I had two of those, a 1970 and a 1981).

For the price, I'd be all over that one!
01-04-2018 05:40 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
(01-04-2018 05:40 AM)cookiemech Wrote:  I rode one of those when they first came to the US in the early 2000s. Terrific bike for the backroads; seems to me that Kawasaki built a better Triumph Bonneville (and I had two of those, a 1970 and a 1981).

For the price, I'd be all over that one!

So would I Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
01-04-2018 05:57 AM
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
Wisedrum has one. A W800 not an 850. That would be too much of a good thing.Tongue I don't mind but often had admitted how much I like this bike and will not become tired to do so in the future. It's beavel shaft, ' King Wave' in Germany, makes a today extraordinary motorcycle out of it and will always create food for collectors or special but reliable motorbike lovers.

Wisedrum
01-04-2018 06:59 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
$1900 is a steal assuming the bike is unmolested and you can get it back on the road for less than $1000. I'm beginning to see them around here, in excellent condition, for $3500-$4000, so the prices are coming down a bit. Like you, I've kicked myself for not buying a new one when they first came out in 2000. It's the reason I jumped on a DLX as soon as I found one for sale.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
01-04-2018 08:37 AM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
When I was doing garage queen restorations, I learned that buying a non-runner for anything more than salvage value is a risk.

Fortunately, I learned that lesson cheap from a friend of mine (he learned the hard way). He bought a non-running KZ900 for a great price. Previous owner said it only needed the usual carb cleaning, new rubber, etc... That was all fine until my buddy replaced/cleaned everything up and started the bike for the first time. That's when the hidden crack in the crankcase made itself known. The bike was (expensive) junk and the previous owner was off the hook, as virtually all used vehicle sales are "as-is".

Not trying to pee on your Cheerios, just saying that you have to be really careful about buying a non-runner. There are things that can't be checked if the the bike can't be started and run.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
01-04-2018 06:51 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
I for one say follow your dreams . so far i have bought non runners and done very well even though they were all old Honda's . pretty easy to put it on the center stand and work it through while feeling the gears , feeling the clutch , feeling the compression , listening to any noise , testing the brakes and checking for spark. I would find flaw in this for a better price myself even if satisfied.
but always be mindful of hidden problems when bringing home anything used and when you mention life, marriage divorce. that gave me a flash back from marrying a possessed bipolar redhead and was lucky to trade her off to a sailor who moved her to Chula Vista California , but I guess that might be TMI and another application - my bad

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
01-04-2018 07:17 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,755

Full Statistics