Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MotoAmerica finally gets it.
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
MotoAmerica finally gets it.
Wayne finally realized they needed a real CEO. It's all about marketing. Smart guy. He knows his limitations.

COSTA MESA, CA (January 4, 2018) – MotoAmerica has hired entertainment and media marketing executive Alec Marshall, formerly of Apple (AAPL), Roku (ROKU), and Avid (AVID), to help the series execute a vision of motorsports for new audiences and a new millennium as the California-based motorcycle racing organization’s Chief Marketing Officer.

“We’ve created one of the most exciting racing series in motorsports history, and we’re thrilled to bring Alec Marshall in to help shape it for new audiences and a whole new sports landscape,” said three-time 500cc World Champion and MotoAmerica President Wayne Rainey. “Alec has a history of bringing new media stories to market, and MotoAmerica is poised to be right at the front of this shift in sports.”
01-05-2018 05:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
RE: MotoAmerica finally gets it.
I have been watching MOTO AMERICA since their start and I think that every year it is getting better.
Love to see Wayne doing great things for racing in the USA.
01-05-2018 05:37 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-05-2018 05:37 PM)Houtman Wrote:  I have been watching MOTO AMERICA since their start and I think that every year it is getting better.
Love to see Wayne doing great things for racing in the USA.
Absolutely. They focused so much on the technical side of things for the first few years; now it's time to focus on selling the sport to the public. Read this recently:

Thinking Outside the (Pit) Box
01-05-2018 05:48 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
For road race fans I would recommend having BEIN Sport , they show all Moto GP , SBK and Moto America races.
The UK Superbike races can also been seen on of the NBC channels, they are really exciting races as well.
01-06-2018 05:21 AM
F800GT Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
A lot of exciting things happening in MotoAmerica 2018 indeed !!

- Garrett Gerloff moves to SBK category

- Creation of the Stock 1000 category where there will be a lot of fights

- JD Beach and Debise will rub each other the wrong way
01-06-2018 12:11 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-06-2018 12:11 PM)F800GT Wrote:  A lot of exciting things happening in MotoAmerica 2018 indeed !!

- Garrett Gerloff moves to SBK category

- Creation of the Stock 1000 category where there will be a lot of fights

- JD Beach and Debise will rub each other the wrong way
Great stuff, thanks.Hello
01-06-2018 04:25 PM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
Don't know as much about racing as a lot of you guys and only started to check it out in the last few years. So, feel free to discount my comments.

However, the Superbike classes have sort of bored me a bit. I wanted it to be great and see really competitive motorsport.
But, the same 3 or 4 guys were in contention each week and they just ran away from the rest of the pack. Usually only two brands are competitive per circuit. In World SBK it was Kawasaki and Ducati. MotoAmerica was Suzuki and Yamaha. So, if you're a Honda fan you just got used being an also ran. Stock 1000 might be a good way to judge who makes the best superbike, but maybe not so fun to watch since it'll mostly be the newest bike with the latest cool bits that wins.

It's hard to match the product that MotoGP puts out there and works-style racing is certainly hugely expensive. But somehow they've managed to make it really competitive. 2017 was tight and in 2016 they had something like 8 different guys win races.

Just my $.02 and sorry to be the downer.
01-06-2018 08:24 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-06-2018 08:24 PM)DAC Wrote:  Don't know as much about racing as a lot of you guys and only started to check it out in the last few years. So, feel free to discount my comments.

However, the Superbike classes have sort of bored me a bit. I wanted it to be great and see really competitive motorsport.
But, the same 3 or 4 guys were in contention each week and they just ran away from the rest of the pack. Usually only two brands are competitive per circuit. In World SBK it was Kawasaki and Ducati. MotoAmerica was Suzuki and Yamaha. So, if you're a Honda fan you just got used being an also ran. Stock 1000 might be a good way to judge who makes the best superbike, but maybe not so fun to watch since it'll mostly be the newest bike with the latest cool bits that wins.

It's hard to match the product that MotoGP puts out there and works-style racing is certainly hugely expensive. But somehow they've managed to make it really competitive. 2017 was tight and in 2016 they had something like 8 different guys win races.

Just my $.02 and sorry to be the downer.
Nah, I have felt that WSBK looks a lot like a bad track day. MotoAmerica also. The premier class in MGP is just so far ahead of everyone else in terms of skill. It's not really the equipment as the WSBK bikes have way more tech allowed, at least last time I checked. Although the starting point, a street bike, is not really a purpose built racing machine.

What is quite surprising is how the Kawasaki dominates the class thus far; the chassis is quite a bit more flexible than the others, especially the Aprilia. But that works in WSBK. My 2015 is very "plush" to be honest, compared to any other open-class super bike. Tuned flex for sure.
01-07-2018 12:03 AM
SCCBrider Offline
Running Like a Top

South Carolina
(01-06-2018 05:21 AM)Houtman Wrote:  For road race fans I would recommend having BEIN Sport , they show all Moto GP , SBK and Moto America races.
The UK Superbike races can also been seen on of the NBC channels, they are really exciting races as well.

I've never heard of this. where would I watch it at? TV, Internet, what?
01-07-2018 06:03 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
BEin sports is a Spanish paid subscriber channel on Direct TV sattelite

I pay $15 a month for the channel just to watch MotoGP for 8 months of the year lol

I don't even watch the Moto 2, Moto 3, WSBK or Moto America Races. Not a big fan of those series.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-07-2018 07:16 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>