Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Part 2 of Dec southern Utah Lake Powell Ride
Vic Offline
1st Service Completed

Indiana, USA
RE: Part 2 of Dec southern Utah Lake Powell Ride
Nice! Good to see south west country. And such blue sky.

2014 CB1100 Standard
01-07-2018 06:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
noroomtomove Offline
Running Like a Top

Australia Victoria
Thanks for the write up and photos, beaut trip.
Regards NRTM
01-08-2018 01:31 AM
CBhooligan Offline
Break-In Period

Azusa,CA
(01-05-2018 05:08 PM)Frulk Wrote:  Finally have some time to finish the second half of this ride report:

So, I rode the 68 miles south to the ferry with each 5 miles or so getting a degree of warmth, gassed up at Bullfrog and then rode a few more miles to the ferry port. Got there and it was low 40's and sunny.
The fee for motorcycles is $15 and the ride across is approx. 25 minutes.

All that with pics is covered in the first half of the trip.

I'm now heading south and east on a road for 78 miles that will bring me out at a junction where I have the option to go east towards Natural Bridges or west towards Hite Marina and the northern terminus of 100 mile long Lake Powell.

One last look at the lake and where I came from.

This is pretty much your standard vista for about 10 miles after the ferry with the road rolling and twisting through undulating countryside punctuated everywhere with red rock.

Eventually you drop down off a small plateau into this area where the road begins to meander through a small, low canyon that begins to constrict on both sides.

You roll through this terrain for a number of miles and again come to a descent, this time of several hundred feet as you drop off another plateau. This happens right here. the road twists and turns and heaves as there is a lot of geological action going here. I've see it under repair many times due to slides.

This picture shows the drop involved in the previous section of road as I came off the very top of the ridge in the distance.

Looking back from where I came from. On this 78 mile stretch of road from the ferry dock to the junction of 95 I saw ZERO cars.

Bears Ears Buttes, as in THE Bears Ears Monument that has been all over the news.

I came to the junction of 95 and had to make a couple of decisions. It was around 2:30 and I had limited riding time left during daylight. t was noticeably colder here and I knew I had to still ride through Fry Canyon on the way back. I really wanted to head to Mexican Hat and ride the Moki Dugway switchbacks on the way there and back. As I sat there at the intersection contemplating my options I noticed a strip of white frost in the shadows on 95. That was enough. I decided to head west to Lake Powell where I anticipated the temps would hold close to mid 40's until I climbed out of the canyon and got closer to the Henry Mt's.

Looking somewhat north at Cheese Box Butte. A few miles to the west on 95 in Fry Canyon.

Looking west from that same spot towards Lake Powell

A mile or two from the Hite Marina looking west. I know this area very well having hiked, camped, ridden, kayaked etc. here for many years.

Turn off to Hite with the bluffs of Glenn Canyon National Recreation area overlooking it in the distance, and behind it all the Henry Mt's (whose east side I would be passing in about an hour).

The boat ramp at Hite Marina. This ramp is almost 3/10ths of a mile long and notice it is still out of the water by a couple of hundred yards. I should also point out that the water at this time of the year is the highest I've seen it in a decade. Hard choices are coming for our part of the west, and probably sooner than later.

That same ramp in the previous picture but from the other side looking down from a scenic pull out that's about 700 feet above the
lake.

One last picture as I was heading north to my campsite after having ridden a hair over 400 miles in 2 days.

I left a lot out but the pictures speak for themselves. It was a superlative ride I'll probably do again around late February with my daughter. I might let her ride the Guzzi V7R as tank range is an issue with her Sportster.
Great photos! Love CB touring.
01-19-2018 06:19 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>