Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Part 2 of Dec southern Utah Lake Powell Ride
Frulk Offline
High Mileage

Utah
Part 2 of Dec southern Utah Lake Powell Ride
Finally have some time to finish the second half of this ride report:

So, I rode the 68 miles south to the ferry with each 5 miles or so getting a degree of warmth, gassed up at Bullfrog and then rode a few more miles to the ferry port. Got there and it was low 40's and sunny.
The fee for motorcycles is $15 and the ride across is approx. 25 minutes.

All that with pics is covered in the first half of the trip.

I'm now heading south and east on a road for 78 miles that will bring me out at a junction where I have the option to go east towards Natural Bridges or west towards Hite Marina and the northern terminus of 100 mile long Lake Powell.

One last look at the lake and where I came from.

This is pretty much your standard vista for about 10 miles after the ferry with the road rolling and twisting through undulating countryside punctuated everywhere with red rock.

Eventually you drop down off a small plateau into this area where the road begins to meander through a small, low canyon that begins to constrict on both sides.

You roll through this terrain for a number of miles and again come to a descent, this time of several hundred feet as you drop off another plateau. This happens right here. the road twists and turns and heaves as there is a lot of geological action going here. I've see it under repair many times due to slides.

This picture shows the drop involved in the previous section of road as I came off the very top of the ridge in the distance.

Looking back from where I came from. On this 78 mile stretch of road from the ferry dock to the junction of 95 I saw ZERO cars.

Bears Ears Buttes, as in THE Bears Ears Monument that has been all over the news.

I came to the junction of 95 and had to make a couple of decisions. It was around 2:30 and I had limited riding time left during daylight. t was noticeably colder here and I knew I had to still ride through Fry Canyon on the way back. I really wanted to head to Mexican Hat and ride the Moki Dugway switchbacks on the way there and back. As I sat there at the intersection contemplating my options I noticed a strip of white frost in the shadows on 95. That was enough. I decided to head west to Lake Powell where I anticipated the temps would hold close to mid 40's until I climbed out of the canyon and got closer to the Henry Mt's.

Looking somewhat north at Cheese Box Butte. A few miles to the west on 95 in Fry Canyon.

Looking west from that same spot towards Lake Powell

A mile or two from the Hite Marina looking west. I know this area very well having hiked, camped, ridden, kayaked etc. here for many years.

Turn off to Hite with the bluffs of Glenn Canyon National Recreation area overlooking it in the distance, and behind it all the Henry Mt's (whose east side I would be passing in about an hour).

The boat ramp at Hite Marina. This ramp is almost 3/10ths of a mile long and notice it is still out of the water by a couple of hundred yards. I should also point out that the water at this time of the year is the highest I've seen it in a decade. Hard choices are coming for our part of the west, and probably sooner than later.

That same ramp in the previous picture but from the other side looking down from a scenic pull out that's about 700 feet above the
lake.

One last picture as I was heading north to my campsite after having ridden a hair over 400 miles in 2 days.

I left a lot out but the pictures speak for themselves. It was a superlative ride I'll probably do again around late February with my daughter. I might let her ride the Guzzi V7R as tank range is an issue with her Sportster.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2018 05:21 PM by Frulk.)
01-05-2018 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aussieflyer Offline
Running Like a Top

Melbourne Australia
RE: Part 2 of Dec southern Utah Lake Powell Ride
Hey Frulk thanks for the pictures and your write up of the trip. The scenery looks amazing, reminds me of the old Roadrunner / Coyote cartoons, a touring holiday through that country is now on my bucket list.
01-05-2018 05:15 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
Very Pretty and i love that copper look of everything.
also thought of Roadrunners from when i drove a Semi and seeing a few coyotes . thanks for sharing

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
01-05-2018 05:43 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Beautiful stuff Frulk.

My wife and I will be visiting near that area in Sept. She wants to go back to Bryce and Zion amd I want to ride Grand Escalante Staircase Rt 12 and see Capitol Reef. Your pictures only raise anticipation and make Sept seem a long time away.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-05-2018 06:02 PM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
WOW, amazing country Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
01-06-2018 04:05 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(01-06-2018 04:05 AM)Rocky Wrote:  WOW, amazing country Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

+1
01-06-2018 04:35 AM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
That snow on the sides of the road like that, the shadowy road in front...that always makes me slow waaayyyy down for fear of an icy patch.

(01-05-2018 05:08 PM)Frulk Wrote:  ...
İmage ...

I lived in AZ for 9 years before moving to OR. I miss the desert SW and the red rocks, the views....ah, the views! No boring forests that block the views : )

Looks like it was a wonderful trip, thanks for posting.
01-06-2018 08:56 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Great second half of your report. Looking forward to the third half. Smile

I really enjoyed this report.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-06-2018 04:35 PM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
Great pictures again Frulk.

By the way - I like your choice in riding gloves, I have the same ones (and will never run out as I got a 6 pack of them ar Costco).
01-06-2018 07:52 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
It looks magnificent country, Frulk. Something completely different to ride through. Thanks for sharing the photographs.
01-07-2018 05:57 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Yea M but there's two different factors . . .misterprofessionality — 01:14 PM
I'm a bit different, i went in for a 2nd . . .m in sc — 01:01 PM
I am liking the drama of this thread, Mr . . .GoldOxide — 12:50 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on bac . . .GoldOxide — 12:47 PM
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,518
» Latest member: JoshuaER
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,764

Full Statistics

>