Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The true beauty of this motorcycle. (another LONG read)
noroomtomove Offline
Running Like a Top

Australia Victoria
RE: The true beauty of this motorcycle. (another LONG read)
On standby for Saturday CB1100 test ride review.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 09:33 PM by noroomtomove.)
01-13-2018 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Weather report for tomorrow just changed from totally sunny and 0% chance of rain to A.M. clouds/P.M. sun, with a 10% chance of rain. It's going to be cold and damp at the beginning of the ride.

Yeah, whatever. I'm finally going to get to ride a freaking CB1100!
01-13-2018 09:37 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
We don't worry about rain until the chances get up to 40%

Anxiously awaitng 2 ride reports.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-14-2018 06:05 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(01-13-2018 08:30 PM)VLJ Wrote:  A more telling poll would simply ask: Would you prefer the CB1100 to have limiters, or not have limiters?

We've already established that the 112-mph limit doesn't have much of a negative effect in the real world. The point is that it's annoying, simply on principle. You can't legally ride a CB1000R, VFR, or CBR600 over the posted speed limits either, yet they don't have limiters, and if Honda suddenly slapped limiters on them some people would be annoyed by that decision. Conversely, absolutely no one would ever be annoyed if Honda didn't slap limiters on them, or on the CB1100 either. The topic would never even come up.

I've never had my 2013 over 95mph and that behind a guy in a Mini who was obviously late for something. I feel no need to go any faster but the very idea of a speed limiter irks me. I really don't understand why Honda limited the bike in this way.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
01-14-2018 06:28 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Here’s the search results using “limiter” as a title only

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/search.php?...order=desc

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 06:58 AM by EmptySea.)
01-14-2018 06:57 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
(01-14-2018 06:05 AM)The ferret Wrote:  We don't worry about rain until the chances get up to 40%

Anxiously awaitng 2 ride reports.

It's not so much the slight chance of rain that will put a damper on the quality of the ride. Rather, it's the near-freezing, low-lying Tule fog. Man, that stuff is miserable. If it's anything like a couple of recent mornings here, visibility will be next to nill, the roads will be wet, and it'll be cold as well. We will definitely need to tip-toe, as every turn essentially becomes a blind corner.

I'm also curious to see what egleaves says after riding my bike. I've set the suspension up to be as soft and plush as it can go, figuring it would be better that way for a guy who is used to a CB1100. To me it's now borderline too soft, in that it allows a touch of float when encountering bumps during high-speed sweepers. The flipside is it rides more smoothly over stutter bumps. Also, for someone who is used to the CB's relaxed throttle response, setting the XSR's suspension for a softer ride should help to alleviate some of the immediacy of the throttle response. I figure I'll have him ride in Standard mode, or maybe even 'B' (rain) mode, not the hyper-explosive 'A' mode, which seems to be a bit too responsive for people who are used to softer throttles.

The other thing is I learned that he's much taller than I am, and quite a bit heavier. Even though the stock seat already gives way more legroom than his CB1100 offers, I'm going to swap seats to the taller, thicker, softer "Comfort" seat, which will give him even more legroom. I can barely tip-toe with that seat, but he should find it to be very nice. I'm sure it's still not quite as comfy as his CB's seat, but with all that extra legroom he should be fine.

I want to see what he thinks of the motor, the much lighter handling, and the overall comfort. If nothing else, a morning like this ought to make him appreciate the heated grips. All in all, I won't be surprised if he finds this bar-risers-equipped XSR to be just as smooth and comfortable as his big CB.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 08:13 AM by The ferret.)
01-14-2018 08:06 AM
egleaves Offline
1st Service Completed

Sacramento, CA
"Quite a bit heavier" huh? I'll be sure to have a light breakfast today. Wink

I took a ride up to Colfax yesterday and the weather changed from overcast to sunny once we got above Auburn. It looks the same again today...cruddy in the valley and a bit sunny in the hills.

2014 CB1100 Standard
01-14-2018 09:11 AM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
Eating popcorn emoji
01-14-2018 10:52 AM
2017EX Offline
Running Like a Top

U.S.A.
Great thread Guth, as well as input from everyone else. With almost 50 years of riding motorcycles under my belt, I get it. Before I pulled the trigger on my CB1100 EX, I did extensive homework, including reading every aspect of development listed here: http://world.honda.com/CB1100/engineer-talk/ . For years I had speculated among my riding friends, about whether or not Honda bringing back a modern version of the CB750 Four would be a winner or not ( I always thought it would be ). In scouring all the info contained in that link, I think Honda made it very clear that a major goal of the bike was for the rider to enjoy the simple pleasure of the ride. Mission accomplished in my humble opinion.

It seems to me that sometimes advances in the "latest and greatest" is a step backwards, but then without knowledge of what came before it, there would be nothing to use as a comparison to make that judgment. What I am talking about here is not necessarily on the technical side of so called advances, but rather the experience. How could anyone that had never ridden a CB750 Four back in the day possibly understand and compare it to modern offerings? I was disappointed for many years that the simple naked bike of the past was really not available, and that crotch rockets more suited for the track were all the rage.

In terms of riding enjoyment, riding position is a major consideration, based on experience with different riding positions. The forward crouch on a crotch rocket may offer good control, but I dont think I would want that position for commuting, a quick leisure ride, or a road trip, for comforts sake. The feet forward position I found with my Harley, is not one that gave me a feeling of natural control and balance either. In fairness, not all the Harleys are feet forward, but a large segment are. Once I got on my CB1100, seated upright, that natural feeling of balance and control came back to me. Over the years, even many of the pseudo retro bikes had a seating position semi slouched backwards, because the styling was emulating the Harley V twin.

As to the neutral indicator light, most of my early bikes didnt have it, so we got used to easing the clutch out slightly in neutral as a conformation we were actually in neutral before doing anything else, and it was just the way we were taught. The rev limiter doesnt bother me either. Back in the day we were taught that a two stroke would just top out, but a four stroke would keep running until it broke. I can remember getting my CB750 out on the freeway to see what it would do. At 95 mph I had to back off because even in a crouch, I was holding on for dear life, and thought getting blown off the bike was a real possibility. I was in my 20s at the time, and now at age 65, the CB1100 has more power than I will ever need, can do everything I want, and does it extremely well with pure enjoyment.

I would venture to guess that CB1100 fans, and perhaps the majority of the membership here, are older riders with many years of riding, and experience over those years with many different bikes. As the saying goes, there is no substitute for experience. That holds true here, because anyone that has never ridden an upright seating position classic naked bike, has no basis for comparison and no way of knowing what they are missing. I have heard some of the younger "nay sayer" riders describe the CB1100 as an "old mans bike". I always ask if they have ever ridden one, and to date have not found a single CB1100 skeptic that actually has ridden one. I just grin, and say that what the CB1100 really is, is a smooth, pure, enjoy the ride bike.
01-14-2018 11:11 AM
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
I don't care for what people will take the CB for.
What is old? A personal feel, a social category?
Something like this and even more or less than this.

As for power the CB feels like a racebike in comparison to my newly bought Enfield. No wonder. Bu it doesn't want or need to be driven this way. That's the difference and shows how well Honda did the job to create such a nice machine, that also feels so good and satisfying been driven smoothly.

Wisedrum
01-14-2018 03:00 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In th . . .Gone in 60 — 02:26 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Good story, Ferret. I had something sim . . .peterbaron — 02:10 PM