Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New EX on the Way!
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
RE: New EX on the Way!
mickey, yep, now I recall where I've seen those RLETs before: on Schwinn bicycles, just like people here are saying. lol

I'm sitting here looking at the pic you provided of the old CBs. That aqua one is so beautiful, and the red is a stunner. I noticed something about them, though, which prompted me to go look up pictures of your '14 Deluxe, and it became clear to me. Your bike has a lot of black pieces in and around the cockpit. The headlight shell and the instrument cluster are black, so the RLETs tend to go better with them. On the new '17 EX everything black was replaced with chrome, so now the RLETs don't complete the look. They don't match. Rather, they stick out like a sore thumb.

So, okay, on your bike and those old classics, I can see going with the RLETs, but not on the new one, and I still don't understand why Honda didn't see fit to include them as standard on yours, the '13, or the '14 Standard.
01-14-2018 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
well my particular dlx has the color matched headlight bucket and chrome covers for back of the inst covers.

also fork gaiters

old school baby!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-14-2018 08:12 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Love the fork gaiters.
01-14-2018 08:38 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Yeah, that 2014 DLX "ferret edition" is quite a looker.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-14-2018 10:01 PM
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
Oh, I'll install fork gaiters (not just for the looks, but to protect the tubes; I did so on both of my K75s).

Do RLETS deteriorate rapidly, or did owners remove them? I swear I've never noticed them on CBs of the 1970s.
01-15-2018 02:29 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
The right fork gaiters (either factory Triumph or Factory KAwasaki) and real oem RLETs will last for decades.

Every CB Honda produced from about late 60s to early 80s came with RLET's. Can't believe you never noticed them, they were on literally millions of CB Hondas.

Defender of the Realm
01-15-2018 05:06 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
My dealer used to have a 305 Dream on the floor for display and it had the original RLETS on it.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
01-15-2018 05:30 AM
DaSwami Offline
Running Like a Top

Northwest Montana (again!)
You are selling the Moto Guzzi? Pray tell why?

You will notice the difference when you twist the throttle, the torquey "snap" of the Goose will be replaced with a silky smooth acceleration that you won't feel near as much, but your tach and speedo will tell you differently.
01-20-2018 08:18 AM
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
(01-20-2018 08:18 AM)DaSwami Wrote:  You are selling the Moto Guzzi? Pray tell why?

You will notice the difference when you twist the throttle, the torquey "snap" of the Goose will be replaced with a silky smooth acceleration that you won't feel near as much, but your tach and speedo will tell you differently.

It's a 2003 Aluminium with 6600 (hundred, not thousand) miles on it that I bought in July 2014 from the "original" owner (in quotes because the first owner was his brother, who put 225 miles on it). I bought it because it was so darn gorgeous; perfect, really. I researched everything on this particular bike and found it had not had the PI Cam Update done, so I fortunately found a competent MG shop to do the work (Europa Macchina in Lewisberry, PA).

Anyway, it had 2869 miles when I bought it and so I've put about 3800 miles on it. It just doesn't turn me on in any way. I wanted to like it, really I did. But it's not comfortable for me, even after installing IKON shocks (adjustable, unlike the originals) and a Harper's MG "high" seat. The utterly unfathomable gearing (like, I'm spending all my time in second and third gear) is the nail in the coffin. Can't get into fifth gear below 80 mph.

I like my Harley touring bikes very much, as well as my old BMW K-bikes. I like my KLR. A Harley rider I recently met has fallen in love with the Moto Guzzi and is planning to buy it, even though I have pointed out what isn't great about it.

Also, last year I worked hard to reduce my fleet of bikes from eight to six, and I'm not going back up . . .
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2018 08:33 AM by The ferret.)
01-20-2018 08:29 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
For me that's an issue with a lot of Euro bikes. They just don't like running at less than 4000 rpms. If you are a "lugger" and not a "revver" type rider, it can just drive you nuts. I have ridden Guzzi's and Beemers and that is pretty much the norm. My son's Ducati is like that as well..why put a 5th or 6th gear on it if you have to be on the autobahn to use it?

Defender of the Realm
01-20-2018 08:40 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM