Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
2014 CB1100 Standard ride review/XSR900 comparo
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
RE: 2014 CB1100 Standard ride review/XSR900 comparo
Flynrider, that pic certainly reveals the excessive width of the tank, and it's also evident in any pic taken from the front of the bike. From the headlight-shot angle, the forward-most portion of the squat, bulbous, shapeless tank absolutely reminds me of Jabba the Hut. Moreover, the sheer width of the tank even at the seat junction splays my knees out. I would probably opt for the shorter seat, and not just to reduce the reach to the ground. The shorter seat would also place my knees lower, where the body of the bike is narrower.
01-16-2018 08:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
(01-16-2018 05:09 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  
(01-16-2018 04:55 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  MTC, while not wanting to detract from redbirds’ and Sparky’s family first, I’m pretty sure that, while the Wandering Souls were sponsored, it was jo by Honda or a Honda dealer and that they chose the CBs for their trip.

Could be wrong though.

You are probably correct....I still don't think they should count, though, because they (I think) sold those bikes and did not replace them with CBs later. No biggie either way, though, because redbirds and Sparky must be the only couple represented here with his/her CBs

There was a guy who joined the forum this summer, I can't remember his screen? name but I believe his name is Jody from somewhere in the Nashville area (I think), anyway he and his girlfriend both have CBs.

I'll see if I can find him on here.
01-16-2018 08:51 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Jodytek. A not-so-quick search revealed that Jodytek and his spouse both have CB1100s. Now, we just need them to ride up the road a piece to Berea in June so we can get a group picture of the two, obviously happy, couples.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-17-2018 05:31 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(01-16-2018 06:51 PM)VLJ Wrote:  
(01-16-2018 05:10 PM)redbirds Wrote:  After sitting on a 900RS Sparky was surprised that it was just as tall as her V-strom and after 10 years and two V-stroms, a tall bike is something she wanted to avoid. The Kawasaki does feel light coming off the side stand but they should have altered the suspension to allow a lower seat height. Lack of a center stand was another minus.

Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".

Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.

Her initial draw to the 900RS was the weight, about the same as her V-strom but after riding the CB on dirt she found the weight of the Honda no problem.

I explained these options to her.
Optional center stand... "Looks like an after thought, poor design and ugly."

Lower seat.... "Not going that route again, expensive and too thin to be comfortable."

Optional rear lowering link...."The Honda needs no modification to make it right and new 2014's selling for $7000 to $8000."

I liked the idea of having the Kaw as well as the CB but her mind is now set on the CB and being together now near 40 years, I know not likely to change.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
01-17-2018 06:07 AM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
2014 CB1100 Standard ride review/XSR900 comparo
The '17 forks are a direct swap onto an earlier bike and are more comfortable. I am very happy with the purchase.

Those, along with the Ikon rear shocks, tall K&H seat and more pulled back handle bars really make the bike an all day long rider.

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 08:57 AM by PowerDubs.)
01-17-2018 08:56 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(01-17-2018 08:56 AM)PowerDubs Wrote:  The '17 forks are a direct swap onto an earlier bike and are more comfortable. I am very happy with the purchase.

Those, along with the Ikon rear shocks, tall K&H seat and more pulled back handle bars really make the bike an all day long rider.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I tried a quick search on the '17 fork swap, but came up with too many results. PowerDubs, if you created a thread about your new forks (installation comments are great, but I'm looking more for riding impressions), please point me to it. Thanks.

Matt

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-17-2018 09:07 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-16-2018 06:51 PM)VLJ Wrote:  Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.
My buddy has one of these; I sat on it and it felt about right, but he had the optional shorter seat.

The specs are required to show the seat height as delivered; I am not sure whether they reflect the standard seat or not but they are supposed to.

The Z900 does have a nice low seat height and offers a higher seat as an option.

The bike is quite light, with a low CG and a good spec sheet, and KHI will sell plenty of them.

However, I would not rush right out and get one to replace a CB1100 because there is a very real difference when it comes to on-road stability and overall ride comfort. The CB has a heavier chassis and is a lot better at eating up the slab or long stretches of pavement, if that's your thing.

If it's just the seat height and concerns of possibly dropping the bike (yep, I whined about that stuff myself) then get the seat cut down, bolt on some Honda engine guards (the kind that don't drag in the turns) and keep your Honda.

(01-17-2018 08:56 AM)PowerDubs Wrote:  The '17 forks are a direct swap onto an earlier bike and are more comfortable. I am very happy with the purchase.

I recall that thread and read it with great interest. You said it, the CB is a great all-day machine. With those upgrades it'll eat up pavement like nobody's business. I was about to do the Racetech front end on mine when I sold it.

If I get another, it'll be Type II bars and a low seat. I speculate the suspension and handling will be quite a bit better with the DBV forks and upgraded shocks.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 09:15 AM by Ulvetanna.)
01-17-2018 09:13 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
(01-17-2018 06:07 AM)redbirds Wrote:  
(01-16-2018 06:51 PM)VLJ Wrote:  
(01-16-2018 05:10 PM)redbirds Wrote:  After sitting on a 900RS Sparky was surprised that it was just as tall as her V-strom and after 10 years and two V-stroms, a tall bike is something she wanted to avoid. The Kawasaki does feel light coming off the side stand but they should have altered the suspension to allow a lower seat height. Lack of a center stand was another minus.

Yours Truly Wrote:The U.S.-spec Z900RS comes standard with their much thicker, taller seat. In other markets the Kawi comes standard with the optional shorter seat, and that's the seat Kawi uses to achieve their claimed 31.5" seat height. The U.S. version is nearly 33".

Just order up the shorter seat from the accessories catalog. A center stand is also a factory option for the Z900RS.

Her initial draw to the 900RS was the weight, about the same as her V-strom but after riding the CB on dirt she found the weight of the Honda no problem.

Lower seat.... "Not going that route again, expensive and too thin to be comfortable."

Optional rear lowering link...."The Honda needs no modification to make it right and new 2014's selling for $7000 to $8000."

I liked the idea of having the Kaw as well as the CB but her mind is now set on the CB and being together now near 40 years, I know not likely to change.

Nothing wrong with that. Needless to say, I would also take a CB1100 over a Z900RS, and if the CB1100 is what wifey wants, we all know it's best to keep wifey happy.
01-17-2018 09:17 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(01-17-2018 06:07 AM)redbirds Wrote:  Her initial draw to the 900RS was the weight, about the same as her V-strom but after riding the CB on dirt she found the weight of the Honda no problem.

Knowing that last part is WAY more important for your longevity than knowing to avoid target fixation. Can't wait to meet both of you in Berea! Beer

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 09:23 AM by EmptySea.)
01-17-2018 09:23 AM
CB750F Offline
Break-In Period

Mid-America
I'm a new CB1100 owner ('14 Standard) and I read this entire thread with amusement.

The whole point of the CB1100 is it recreates the vintage look and feel of the late 70's and 80's. It was never intended to ride like a modern sport bike. If it did it wouldn't capture the nostalgia and fun of those old bikes. Having said that it's still a way better motorcycle than anything we rode back then. It has a better motor, better brakes, better suspension and better fit and finish than the motorcycles of the 70's and 80's.

I bought my bike for what it is. I wanted a modern version of an old classic and that's exactly what I got. It looks fantastic and rides better than my CB750F ever did. If I had wanted a sport bike or a touring bike or an ADV bike I would have bought one.

Don't ruin a perfectly wonderful motorcycle by trying to turn it into something it was never intended to be. If riding a modern recreation of an old classic doesn't do it for you buy something else.
01-18-2018 06:10 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>