Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A note about this forum, it's history, an apology and an announcement
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: A note about this forum, it's history, an apology and an announcement
(01-17-2018 09:11 AM)F800GT Wrote:  Guth,

First, let me thank you very much for this forum.

Apologizing is never an easy thing to do. It takes honesty and integrity to recognize one was wrong. Then it takes courage and maturity to apologize. I read other forums where people fight against each other for weeks and nobody wants to admit he/she is wrong. Then they call each other all kinds of names.

You have set an example for this forum and it is certainly why I notice that people on this forum are more courteous. There is no shame in offering apologies.

As I was reading your post, I was afraid of the "announcement" part of your post. I was thinking you were planning to take a leave from this forum ownership/leadership. But soon the relief came as I read.

You've made my day.

Ride on safely !

Your post made me realize I never thanked Guth for the apology, but my excuse is I didn't really think one was needed. I knew he was just blowing off a bit of steam, which we all do from time to time.

So, please consider this a thank-you.

(01-16-2018 07:51 PM)VLJ Wrote:  I was sort of involved in the discussion with Ulvetanna that Guth and EmptySea referenced. I didn't interpret anything Ulvetanna said as an accusation that Guth endeavors to bump up the forum's membership or post totals by trying to convince people to buy a CB1100. Not at all. In his own inimitable manner, Ulvetanna was simply discussing what EmptySea correctly just described as the ebb and flow of the board.

Unless I missed something, Ulvetanna neither stated nor implied anything accusatory, so I was surprised by Guth's angry reaction. Apparently Ulvetanna has a bit of a history here, and perhaps that has something to do with certain people's reactions to him. I don't know. I just know that I value his perspective, and enjoy his candor. A model-specific message board sans frankness and call-it-like-you-see-it honesty is really nothing more than an extremely lengthy brochure.

Along those same lines, I greatly appreciate Guth's efforts here. I didn't realize this wasn't mickey's board. Before I signed up here, I was under the mistaken impression that this site was mickey's love-child. No fault of mickey's there, either. I just assumed, incorrectly. Now I see that it's Guth's place, and Cormanus and mickey are his trusted lieutenants.

Good choices there, I must say.

Lastly, I get that the Powers That Be here don't want this place to become a mud-slinging smack board. No problem there. That being said, and I mentioned this to mickey, I do think that the language-nanny censorship here goes a bit overboard. It's just my opinion, and I'm not in charge. I will abide by the rules, yet they do seem draconian to the point of being borderline childish, as if Ned Flanders is conducting a Sunday school class for six-year-olds. An example I gave mickey is the word 'hell.' That word is not a curse. It's not an epithet. It's not an invective. It's neither vulgar nor crass. 'Hell' is simply and literally a proper noun, no different from 'heaven,' 'Laguna Seca,' or 'CB1100.' There is no reason such a word needs censoring, especially when used in proper context.

Anyway, that was my one and only nit to pick. Otherwise, this place kicks Assen. <----- just for mickey!
If I have a history here, it's similar to yours, VLJ; I run against the current. I ride "high-performance" motorcycles and have been known to drag a knee. I even admit to having been a "racer boy" in my younger days. Some may even say I am still a bit of a hooligan. But I never, ever, violated any of the posted forum rules, so if you're imagining I had that kind of history, you'll search my posts and threads in vain, lol. I think the worst of any interactions I had here were some disputes about ABS, shifting, and whether or not my Wolf Classic 150 would end up in a landfill.

We all love ABS, we shift for ourselves, and my Wolf Classic is still in the garage, running very strong, thank you.

Now, I completely concur with you on the conservative nature of the Ferret's moderation.

However, having grown up in the Midwest myself, I instantly understood the kind of discourse the Ferret wanted to encourage. We kept it clean in those days, and "darn it" was about as vile an oath as one might hear from the relatively devout population in the tiny farming town where I lived. So I quickly picked up on that vernacular. I have no problem with it.

That said, I was, as always, the kid who went against the grain.

Now, that takes me to Guth's assessment that I have "something to prove".

He is absolutely right. Not to others, but to myself. I grew up as bona fide trailer trash, not by choice, of course. As a child I lived in a junked out trailer that leaked water and was cold as a freezer in the winter. The only way I could get anywhere in life was to get tough and take on the system. No one gave me a break because I was from the "wrong side of the tracks". I didn't have a nice new motorcycle as a teenager, or a dad to hang out with. I've constantly pushed myself to my personal limits my entire life, mainly because I didn't have some variety of comfortable, middle-class life.

I worked my way up in the world by taking tough jobs, surrounded by even tougher people. Filthy, dirty jobs of every kind. I learned the most off-color terms early in life because I was surrounded by those kind of folks, the ones who had to do the rugged and soul-killing work that keeps this nation going. And their language was not genteel, it was coarse.

In doing so I got to know the America that does the hard work, so that the rest of us can get tired.

But just because I can rattle off that kind of talk doesn't mean it's appropriate in every setting, and this forum is one of those settings.

What I find especially disturbing is the gratuitous use of foul language such as we find in many movies these days. If I am out on a rough job, say, digging a ditch and repairing a water main, or hauling ninety-pound bales of hay all day long in the sweltering heat, or slopping hogs, I may join in with some lively invective, in private. But the kind of language used in some of these movies I find very objectionable.

So in this way, I agree with the Ferret's "keep it clean" policy.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 09:50 AM by Ulvetanna.)
01-17-2018 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CA200 Offline
High Mileage

Madison Wi.
Guth - Ferret - Cormanus keep up your good work

The ferret
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 10:29 AM by CA200.)
01-17-2018 10:27 AM
736cc Offline
Running Like a Top

NY
This fine and simple forum is all about the CB1100, which is the only reason I visit it. Occasionally I will start a post or reply to a post to contribute or inquire about the CB1100.
Like all forums, unfortunately there are trolls that only like to hear themselves talk, try to dominate every thread as if they are the “expert” and sometimes their drivel is needlessly hundreds of words long. Long-winded opinionated conversations nobody is interested in (except the troll-author).
My biggest gripe is contributors unknowingly hitting the “reply” link and needlessly duplicating the previous post, adding sometimes several of the previous posts content AND sometimes including several previous replies, totally and unnessaraly confusing to find their own short reply (ie: “I agree”)
C’mon man! Please just hit “New Reply” and keep it simple to follow a thread.
We also need more pic posting of our bikes IMO

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 11:52 AM by 736cc.)
01-17-2018 11:36 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Ulvetanna, as I mentioned before, I'm fine with mickey's desire to keep the riff-raff out, both literally and linguistically. I simply want the definitions to be in order. If a word in no way runs afoul of any given guidelines precluding its usage, then that word should not be censored. In those same conservative churches you attended in your Midwestern youth, 'hell' was a word that was openly bandied about by all and sundry, including the preacher/pastor/priest. For that matter, so was 'damn,' at least when used in the proper context.

At our age now, having one's wrist slapped by a wooden spoon for doing nothing wrong just seems embarrassingly silly.

Not a big deal, though. I live in a world of words, so it bugs me to have perfectly valid words removed from the acceptable lexicon. By that same token, living in a world of words means there are always other, nanny-acceptable words at our disposal.

Oh, and answer my question about the Z900's buzziness compared to the CB1100's, for criminy's (<----) sake! Tongue
01-17-2018 11:50 AM
Blockhead Offline
Running Like a Top

Pittsburgh
Great post 736cc, couldn’t agree more.

2013 CB1100
2008 YZ 250
2008 TW200
01-17-2018 11:59 AM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
(01-17-2018 09:23 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  But I never, ever, violated any of the posted forum rules, so if you're imagining I had that kind of history, you'll search my posts and threads in vain, lol.

Because they are deleted? Angel

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
01-17-2018 12:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jimgl3 Offline
High Mileage

Covington, Ga
this is the awesomeist coolest most bestest amazing forum ever and so is the cb1100 and so is Guth and everyone on here! I've seen forums come and seen them go and seen them commercialize, as I'm sure many of you have also. May the CB1100 forum endure forever! Yeah!!!
01-17-2018 12:33 PM
BayAreaRick Offline
1st Service Completed

San Francisco Bay Area
Guth - You have my support and thanks.

[font=Tahoma]2014 Honda CB1100 DLX #0221
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthawk #0035 (gone)
1972 Honda CB500 Four (gone)
[/font]
01-17-2018 12:56 PM
Mandrau Offline
1st Service Completed

Canada
That Ned Flanders piece is hilarious VLJ. Can’t stop laughing. This forum is great.
01-17-2018 02:15 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Just to be clear — the language policy is not "the ferret's thing". It's our thing, Mickey and I are pretty much in lockstep on that one. I'm the one that implemented the "cuss filter". I can add to the list of filtered words as needed. Mickey is free to clean up whatever he feels is appropriate and has my full support on that. There are no hard/fast definitions for this kind of stuff. These rules are not set in stone. The reality is that the majority of people here never run up against this issue.

The ferret, Cormanus and myself are just three regular guys that are trying to do the best we can with this place. We don't always agree 100% on absolutely everything that we have a need to discuss amongst ourselves, but then we usually don' t have a problem quickly reaching a consensus either. I think we balance each other out rather nicely. We're not professionals that studied at the highly regarded Institute for Greater Forum Policy Making. For better or worse, we're just humans doing the best we can. As the old saying goes: you get what you pay for.

My advice to anyone who honestly has a problem with this is to sit down and watch the movie "The Fantastic Mr. Fox". It's even got a motorcycle in it (well an animated one anyway.)

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-17-2018 02:59 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM

[-]