Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Revisiting rain gear purchases
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Revisiting rain gear purchases
So I created an earlier thread about the Aerostich R3 Light suit that I purchased. It's worked wonderfully, when I've used it that is. Since I'm working from home much more frequently and I was riding my motorcycles far less than normal last year, thus far this hasn't been the best of purchases for me. But that's no fault of the suit. It really did prove to be very convenient when I was using it as intended . Being able to easily zip in and out of the suit with my work/street clothes underneath is incredibly handy. If my riding picks up again this year as I'm now expecting, I'll be putting it to use more often once again. The reason I went with the Aerostich is because I did not want to contemplate switching in and out of rain gear all the time given our local climate and my predominate motorcycle usage comes has come from commuting. One piece of gear that could do it all was (and still is) very appealing to me. But unless you know that you'll get a lot of use out of something like the suit I bought then I would say that it' just not worth it. Again, that's not a knock on the Aerostich.

I would also note that I had the luxury of attending an Aerostich "Pop Up" event in person when they visited Portland so I knew that an off the rack size suit without modifications would fit me just fine (massive weight gain aside of course). So I just waited for the size and color combination that I wanted to come up on their sale page. If i was faced with ordering expensive gear like this again without the ability to try it on first I'm not sure that I would want to go through the hassle. I noticed that VLJ mentioned that he went ahead and took that chance. I hope that he finds the fit of the gear he selected turns out to be surprisingly good.

If you've purchased any rain gear, be it Aerostich or not, and would like to share either the good or the bad of it (or both) after having owned it for a while then this thread would be a good place to do so.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-19-2018 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: Revisiting rain gear purchases
Frogg Toggs? Yuk. A skid resistant wet suit would be better.
01-19-2018 05:09 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lol I have Frogg Toggs, no issue with them other than I can't get them back in the little bag they came in.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-19-2018 05:33 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Yeah ... Pterodactyl had some he bought in the US and found them pretty good for a while. Mine just never worked. It's not fair to say they were completely useless, but pretty close.
01-19-2018 05:34 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
My wife and I have Rev'it 2-piece rain suits. hi-viz jackets, black pants. We bought them in 2013 and our versions are slightly different, I think, than what they have now. Here's the new version https://www.revitsport.com/en/men/rain-j...o.html#041

Pros:
Keep us dry. I have not experience crotch-bucketing with this gear. In very heavy rain, where we had to ride long distance, we did get damp (not soaking).

Compact. Each piece comes with its own stuff sack Very easy to carry with me on any ride.

Ease of use Jacket goes on fast. Pants would, too, if I had even a modicum of balance. My wife and I Olympia riding pants which are thicker than jeans or leathers, so it takes a little wiggling, and that slows me down because I stop to watch her. Wink

Fit. Mostly good, so it's a "pro" overall. Some negatives in "con" below.

Hi-viz. Jacket really stands out against overcast skies. Also has reflective stripes and Rev'it logo.

Comfort. Keeps us dry. Keeps us warm. I often wear the gear as an outer layer on cold days because it is very good at keeping the wind out.

Cons:
Cost. Not terrible, but more expensive than Frogtogs. I didn't really find this a negative, but it's not a positive, either.

Fit. They should have incorporated a vent panel in the back. Jacket sometimes balloons up. The Velcro at the cuff of the pants is supposed to allow you to widen the cuff to pull them on over a boot and close them tight when ready to ride. I hope they fixed this on later versions, because the Velcro seldom holds, leaving my cuffs flapping in the breeze. I use a bungee around each cuff now to keep them on. The neck closure is a bit flimsy, but is functional enough.

Comfort. The gear keeps us dry. And warm. It does not breathe. When it's hot, I sweat. As stated above, it's great in the cold, so it's a trade-off.

Overall, I like the Rev'it gear. So does my wife. May not be the best out there, but it does its job.

MTC

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-19-2018 07:39 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I previously owned a one piece rain suit from REV'IT that I purchased for commuting duties. I figured out that I had to be careful and take my time in laying the velcro-backed flap down over the zipper as flat as possible when putting the suit on to increase it's effectiveness at preventing wet crotch syndrome during heavy rainfall. I ended up giving it to a friend in need (he found himself with his motorcycle as his only mode of transportation after his truck broke down). In this neck of the woods, if you're going to ride year-round then it's definitely good to have some rain gear.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-19-2018 10:36 PM
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
I commuted to my job for 35 years on a motorcycle every day that didn't have ice and snow (and a couple that did; I do not recommend it). In the early days I had the usual plastic sort of rain suits that caused me to be about as wet from sweating as I would have been from the rain (on warm days).

From about the second year I rode, I wore full leathers (jacket and pants), which of course required a separate rain suit as they were in no way waterproof. The nylon rainsuits were a big improvement; not as sweaty, but still a PITA to don if the rain started mid-trip.

I bought a one-piece Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit maybe 20 years ago; it wasn't exactly waterproof, though OK in a light rain. Still used a nylon rainsuit over it.

Then in 2007, when I bought my first Harley, I went back to leathers (now vastly improved, high tech ones). The Harley FXRG leathers are really and truly waterproof. I rode six hours home from Michigan one Sunday in a drenching rain and was dry inside. It was so wet and humid that the bills in my wallet were damp, not from the wallet being soaked, but from the extreme humidity.

The FXRG leathers were/are comfortable, but I bought the (NLA) Aerostitch Transit leathers and they are another level above the FXRGs, both in fit and apparent protective quality. These also are truly waterproof.

I have a relatively new one-piece Roadcrafter R-3 suit and it appears to be waterproof; occasionally I sense a damp crotch, but I can't actually feel any wetness post-ride when I remove the suit. Jury's still out on that suit . . .

Glad I no longer have to commute!
01-20-2018 12:56 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I always wondered if those " waterproof leathers" were really waterproof. Do they absorb water thoug, weigh a ton and take a week to dry out like regular leathers?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-20-2018 06:39 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Why don’t cows take a week to dry out? Tongue

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
01-20-2018 06:42 AM
Houtman Online
Been There

NC USA
Love that question ! Oily skin ?
01-20-2018 06:46 AM