Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Saddlebags
glynb Offline
Break-In Period

Bossier City, La.
RE: Saddlebags
(01-20-2018 11:32 PM)Leonard Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 11:21 PM)Wisedrum Wrote:  To displace the turnsignals is not an option for me too.
So I first used these bags:

https://m.louis.de/artikel/vanucci-vst07...b8d03c6958

but without C- Bows, a previous version.
When the zippers gave up I changed to old leather saddle bags I bought together with a VT1100 and which stays with me also that Honda has passed away. Both kind of bags are connected together with strips which can be laid under the saddle. Fehling Distance Holders prevent the bike from being damaged by them. There they are fastened with some one way plastic stripes.

On longer trips I use Ortlieb waterproofed ones which also fit this way.

2 things should be kept in mind. You sacrifice some legroom for a sozius if you mount them this way. He should be very flexible...
Also be aware not to partially cover the lock of the saddlebank under it. This is no easy job because their isn't much space for the connecting stripes. Otherwise the bank can't hardly be removed again once locked because the locking mechanism will be hindered to open up again.

Wisedrum

:biker:If it will help, I have used a many soft bags and hard bags. So far I have found the Hepco & Becker hard bags work best. I purchased the Jr. size. They are small, but tuck in well and the rack can almost be completely removed when not in use. A little expensive, but well build and completely supported. Just a thought.Beer

Leonard,

Do the rear blinker lights have to be relocated using these Hepco and Becker hard bags?

2014 Honda CB1100 DLX
2002 Honda ST1100 "Stella" Gone but not forgotten!
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 05:21 PM by glynb.)
01-22-2018 05:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
noroomtomove Offline
Running Like a Top

Australia Victoria
G'day Paul

I use soft saddle bags made here in Australia by Andy Strapz.
If you have a look at some of the photos in the Down Under rally you can see how they sit on a CB1100.
More details on Andy's web site.

http://www.andystrapz.com

Regards NRTM
01-22-2018 09:03 PM
Hawkeye409 Offline
Break-In Period

Cottage Grove, Oregon
(01-22-2018 05:20 PM)glynb Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 11:32 PM)Leonard Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 11:21 PM)Wisedrum Wrote:  To displace the turnsignals is not an option for me too.
So I first used these bags:

https://m.louis.de/artikel/vanucci-vst07...b8d03c6958

but without C- Bows, a previous version.
When the zippers gave up I changed to old leather saddle bags I bought together with a VT1100 and which stays with me also that Honda has passed away. Both kind of bags are connected together with strips which can be laid under the saddle. Fehling Distance Holders prevent the bike from being damaged by them. There they are fastened with some one way plastic stripes.

On longer trips I use Ortlieb waterproofed ones which also fit this way.

2 things should be kept in mind. You sacrifice some legroom for a sozius if you mount them this way. He should be very flexible...
Also be aware not to partially cover the lock of the saddlebank under it. This is no easy job because their isn't much space for the connecting stripes. Otherwise the bank can't hardly be removed again once locked because the locking mechanism will be hindered to open up again.

Wisedrum

:biker:If it will help, I have used a many soft bags and hard bags. So far I have found the Hepco & Becker hard bags work best. I purchased the Jr. size. They are small, but tuck in well and the rack can almost be completely removed when not in use. A little expensive, but well build and completely supported. Just a thought.Beer

Leonard,

Do the rear blinker lights have to be relocated using these Hepco and Becker hard bags?
Yea, your right they do. They provide the bracket, wiring diagram and some pictures. It took about 15 min each side. I have used Tour Master soft bags and Ortieb bags. It really comes to what your comfortable with and if they stay water tight and dollar amount. You can buy many sets of soft bags for one set of hard bags, I just like the security of my stuff. Good luck and happy hunting. At least you have a good site for helpful suggestions.
Len
01-22-2018 10:55 PM
noroomtomove Offline
Running Like a Top

Australia Victoria
Paul

The Andy Strapz product used on my bike does not mess with the turn signals.
The 60 minute edit limit on#12 necessitated #14.

Regards
23rd January 2018
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 11:44 PM by noroomtomove.)
01-22-2018 11:42 PM
ShaneFreeman Offline
Break-In Period

Australia
(01-21-2018 03:46 PM)PowerDubs Wrote:  I have the Samurider hard panniers but have not mounted them as I have not yet gone on any trips.

My wife also bought me this bag, which I honestly will probably use first if I go somewhere since I can put it on and off quickly- https://wolfmanluggage.com/collections/a...s-rear-bag

Hello Powerdubs

I am looking for a set of the asashi panniers and it was suggested I reach out to you: do you have a set you might consider selling?

Regards

Shane
04-07-2020 12:30 AM
Charlie Bravo Offline
High Mileage

Azle, TX USA
I run a set of soft Cortech bags that had been on my Nighthawk 750. They're handy and look OK, but they are too far forward 'cause of the turn signals, but, I'm a solo rider, so I don't worry about it.

Honda CB1100/Yamaha V-Star 1300
Suzuki V-Strom 1000
BMW R1100RT
Aprilia Shiver 750
Honda Nighthawk 750
Honda Nighthawk 750
Yamaha FJR 1300
Kawasaki Nomad 1500
Sportster Roadster 1200
Sportster 883
Kawasaki G750GT
Honda CL450
Triumph Bonneville 650
Honda CB350
04-11-2020 09:46 AM
Jollygods Offline
Break-In Period

Stockholm, Sweden
(01-21-2018 12:44 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I use the Tourmaster Select soft bags and tank bag, with usually a Cortech or Nelson Rigg tail pack

Hey everyone!
@The ferret - I really like your setup with the tourmaster bags etc. Looks good. Hopefully I can find them over here in the EU. I have a couple of questions about them however...
1. Do you have to use some kind of rack-thingy to keep the bags from touching the rear wheel? (Maybe like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fehling-Gepackt...290.m3507)

2. Also, can you let the mounting yoke be permanently mounted under the seat or do you have to take it off when you're not using the bags?

3. Which version of the tank bag do you have, the one with straps or magnets? Does it work alright? Magnets always felt a bit scary for me... ;-)

All the best from Stockholm
Anders (with a 2014 DLX)
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2020 03:12 AM by Cormanus.)
05-03-2020 02:26 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Welcome to the forum, Jollygods.
05-03-2020 03:13 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
jollygods..I don't have bag supports, doesn't need them the way I have it set up with straps on top of seat. They don't "crab". I have never tried them under the seat although others have.

I use magnetic tank bags. Work great. Have never had one blowoff. Just need to make sure bottom and magnet area is clean when you lay iton tank. Never set tank bag on ground.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
05-03-2020 11:26 AM
tinboatcapt Offline
1st Service Completed

Minnesota, USA
(05-03-2020 02:26 AM)Jollygods Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 12:44 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I use the Tourmaster Select soft bags and tank bag, with usually a Cortech or Nelson Rigg tail pack

Hey everyone!
@The ferret - I really like your setup with the tourmaster bags etc. Looks good. Hopefully I can find them over here in the EU. I have a couple of questions about them however...
1. Do you have to use some kind of rack-thingy to keep the bags from touching the rear wheel? (Maybe like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fehling-Gepackt...290.m3507)

2. Also, can you let the mounting yoke be permanently mounted under the seat or do you have to take it off when you're not using the bags?

3. Which version of the tank bag do you have, the one with straps or magnets? Does it work alright? Magnets always felt a bit scary for me... ;-)

All the best from Stockholm
Anders (with a 2014 DLX)

I have some military surplus satchels for saddle bags. The straps over the seat worked. But as you suspect there is some movement with bumps, wind, etc.. I fixed that with a bungee cord stretched between the luggage rack and the rear pillion pegs. Cheap, quick, and reversible when I want to ride without the bags.
Jim

2014 CB1100 Std
2000 ST1100
1981 CB650C
05-03-2020 11:32 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
The flag is apparently from Costa Rica . . .pdedse — 07:47 PM
Shifting issue
Here is what my clutch basket looks like . . .max — 07:03 PM
Todays weather
Yeah, I think Mother Nature bumped a con . . .Gone in 60 — 06:54 PM
Hanging up the helmet
What about a Grom? Or one of the other . . .GoldOxide — 06:20 PM
Hanging up the helmet
What about a Grom? Or one of the other m . . .Cormanus — 06:15 PM
Todays weather
Gone, there are places in Australia — . . .Cormanus — 06:12 PM
Just bought this beauty