Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My new CB1100 Goal
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
RE: My new CB1100 Goal
I think it was LongRanger who confirmed that the '14 and '17 CBs are all 50-staters, so they should all have the same evap canisters, emissions plumbing, and fuel-tank capacities.
01-23-2018 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Check out this document from your NHTSA with information about the 2013 Honda CB1100 in the USA. Towards the bottom of the first page it says its destination market is '50 States'.

Ulvetanna, you'll be delighted to see that, above that in the first section, the body class is described as 'Motorcycle - Sport'. I suspect, if the CA model were different, they would have to have different VINs and I'm not aware they do.
01-23-2018 08:41 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-23-2018 08:41 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Check out this document from your NHTSA with information about the 2013 Honda CB1100 in the USA. Towards the bottom of the first page it says its destination market is '50 States'.

Ulvetanna, you'll be delighted to see that, above that in the first section, the body class is described as 'Motorcycle - Sport'. I suspect, if the CA model were different, they would have to have different VINs and I'm not aware they do.
I am very much delighted. See, even Honda say it's a sport bike and if it's in the VIN, it has to be TRUE.ROFL
01-23-2018 11:02 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(01-23-2018 11:02 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 08:41 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Check out this document from your NHTSA with information about the 2013 Honda CB1100 in the USA. Towards the bottom of the first page it says its destination market is '50 States'.

I am very much delighted. See, even Honda say it's a sport bike and if it's in the VIN, it has to be TRUE.ROFL

Well ... it's not exactly in the VIN proper. But, near enough, I guess. Thumbs Up
01-24-2018 12:27 AM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
(01-23-2018 07:52 PM)popgun Wrote:  My ‘13 has evaporative emission equipment. All US bikes have it. You can see the canister easy with the left side cover off. Its mounted above the rear of the engine (transmission). About where the swingarm pivot is. Look up. Round can. Between the frame rails by a cross brace.

There is an evaporative purge valve too, but I’d have to look that location up.

Can this be blocked off and removed?
01-24-2018 06:33 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-24-2018 12:27 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  

Well ... it's not exactly in the VIN proper. But, near enough, I guess. Thumbs Up
Actually it is. There is a spot reserved for the type of bike. VIN position #6, "A: Scooter, B: Sportbike, C: Cruiser".
01-24-2018 10:26 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
(01-24-2018 06:33 AM)Bheezy27403 Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 07:52 PM)popgun Wrote:  My ‘13 has evaporative emission equipment. All US bikes have it. You can see the canister easy with the left side cover off. Its mounted above the rear of the engine (transmission). About where the swingarm pivot is. Look up. Round can. Between the frame rails by a cross brace.

There is an evaporative purge valve too, but I’d have to look that location up.

Can this be blocked off and removed?

Man, at first I thought you meant my post Smile

I would imagine so. Let me look at the manual and see if it would be a problem.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
01-24-2018 01:21 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(01-24-2018 10:26 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  
(01-24-2018 12:27 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  

Actually it is. There is a spot reserved for the type of bike. VIN position #6, "A: Scooter, B: Sportbike, C: Cruiser".

Ulvetanna, thanks for this response. I've an interest in VINs and, while not wanting to start a fight, I didn't believe this statement. So I went searching. Again. The NHTSA document you referenced earlier in this thread proved incredibly helpful. For that I'm most grateful. It's added to my understanding, at least of how VINs operate in the US.

The first 8 characters of a VIN are broken into 2 sections. The first 3 characters is a unique identifier of the manufacturer and the type of vehicle. The next 5 characters are assigned by the manufacturer and must, in the case of a motorcycle contain information about the "make, type of motorcycle, line, engine type, and net brake horsepower". In the US manufacturers are required to provide NHTSA with information enabling the VIN to be decoded "... at least 60 days prior to offering for sale the first vehicle identified by a VIN containing that information ..." The citation for these quotes is at the end of this post.

The first 8 characters of your 2013 would have been JH2SC651. Note that character #6 is a number. Decoded, that tells you it's a Honda CB1100 standard model, Motorcycle-Sport, 1140 ccs, 88.5 BHP. That information is provided by Honda, and, so far as I know, Honda does not divulge what it all means, other than to the extent that NHTSA must be provided with at least some of what it tells. All I've been able to find out hunting around the internet is that Honda uses "S" to denote a motorcycle of 900 ccs and up and "C" to tell you it's a street bike. See this website for that information.

If you want to get the decoded information Honda has provided to NHTSA, go here and enter a valid VIN. A valid VIN for a 2013 non ABS bike would be JH2SC6515CK000001.

A valid VIN for the 2017 EX would be JH2SC6518GK000001. Or the RS JH2SC6581GK000001.

One last thing, US law requires:

Quote:The third through the eighth characters of the fourth section (positions 12 through 17) shall represent the number sequentially assigned by the manufacturer in the production process if the manufacturer is a high-volume manufacturer.
Honda is a high volume manufacturer. You can be sure, I think that the last 4 digits of the CB1100's VIN represent it's position in the line.

If you want to peer at the horse's tonsils, try this link.

[rant]
It really irritates me that it is nearly impossible to get to the horse's tonsils in Australia. By comparison, the US is a model of transparency. In my view, every citizen ought to be able to access the letter of the law. It doesn't mean he or she will understand it, but at least she or he can read it. In Australia we've developed a nasty habit in technical areas of referencing various standards. Now standards (ISO, AS, BS, and the myriad others) are mostly developed by commercial organisations and one has to pay for them if one wants to read them. So Australian law mandates that VINs conform to two international standards—ISO 3779:2009 and US Standard FMVSS 115. Now the US standard is easy to access—there's a link to it in the previous post—but if I want to read the other one (and I do) I have to pay these clowns nearly 60 bucks Australian for the pleasure. That sucks.

And it gets worse. When I get into ISO 3779, it's possible I'll find a reference to other standards which are relevant and I'll then have to pay 60 bucks for them too. Double sucks.

And it gets worse if you happen to be in a small business. If you work in, say, manufacturing, you'll have to comply with a raft of workplace safety regulation all of which will reference standards which, if you're serious, you'll have to obtain. You'll purchase them along with all the referenced ones which form part of the law, outlaying a small fortune, and then discover that the committee that developed the standard was made up of representatives from big business who often have a vested interest in making life hard for their competitors.

Thus is the law made inaccessible to ordinary citizens and the might of the wealthy increased by state-sponsored activity.

It's a breath of fresh air to find I can get all this information for free in the US. I should be able to do it in Australia too.

[/rant]

Normal transmission may now resume.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018 04:22 PM by Cormanus.)
01-24-2018 03:41 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-24-2018 03:41 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  It's a breath of fresh air to find I can get all this information for free in the US. I should be able to do it in Australia too.
A lot of Australians living in my neighborhood. They're the most common non-North American immigrants encountered in my area. I've found 'em to be personable and thoughtful. Most of them ride motorcycles, too.

Your comments shed some light on the situation.

But all I care about is that the US Government officially says the CB1100 is a sportbike, lolol!Thumbs Up
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018 09:31 AM by Ulvetanna.)
01-25-2018 09:30 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
FWIW, the last four digits of the vin on my new '17 EX are 0199, so she's the 199th 2017 CB1100EX imported to America.
01-25-2018 10:06 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM