Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My new CB1100 Goal
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: My new CB1100 Goal
(01-21-2018 07:40 PM)Aussieflyer Wrote:  Agree that there is huge opportunity to improve the front end. If you go down that path on your future CB11 have a look at the Andreani cartridge kits. I've installed them and am delighted with the improvement. Cost was about 60% more than springs and emulators but for the extra investment you get externally adjustable rebound and compression.
It's my expectation that the Dual Bending Valve fork is going to be just fine right from the start.

If THAT fork needs work, I wouldn't buy the bike over again.

When I sat on it and pumped the forks (2017 model) they were very firm, almost sportbike firm. They felt very good.

Most of the bikes I have now are equipped with pretty darn good forks. I rode my 2017 SV650 today and was once again impressed that the forks were good enough to really not need any attention. The shock, however, is a different story. That is going to need replacing.

So I have some faith that the forks are a lot better. I believe PowerDubs had good things to say about the upgrade he did to the SDBV forks on his "Gen 1" CB1100.

Another thing I left out of the upgrades were the lights. I expect that LED headlight is a lot better than the halogen piece, which burned out on me during one of my loop rides. Had to run it on low beam until I replaced the bulb. Vibes got it.
01-21-2018 10:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Ulvetanna, I've posted this up a few times over the years, so chances are you've seen it. As I've said many times, I'm not fast. This video pretty much captures the maximum amount that I'm willing to push my CB. It would have been nice had this particular road been smoother, but even had it been so, I wouldn't have desired to go any faster than I already was. But I can understand how better suspension might improve the experience I had on this road the when I made this video. So that much maybe I can relate to. Most of the time I'm not dealing with roads quite this "lumpy" lol so I haven't really given the suspension all that much thought. I tend to sense more issue with the rear shocks than the front forks, but again not enough to have made any changes. Again, hopefully the new CB works out better for you if that's the route you decide to go down.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-21-2018 11:18 PM
beardyweirdy@me.com Offline
Running Like a Top

London
... One of the main reasons was the suspension. The flaccid forks. I replaced the shocks with Ikons, which helped a great deal. Took me quite a while to get the forks adjusted properly so it would turn the way I wanted it to turn. The bike is very sensitive to front ride height and spring preload, surprisingly so.

Huge dive on brake application (sorry, that's just how I rideBig Grin) which I KNEW could be made a lot better. But to start pouring $$$ into the forks seemed like a losing proposition.
[/quote]

Agree that there is huge opportunity to improve the front end. If you go down that path on your future CB11 have a look at the Andreani cartridge kits. I've installed them and am delighted with the improvement. Cost was about 60% more than springs and emulators but for the extra investment you get externally adjustable rebound and compression.
[/quote]
I'll second that, the Andreani's are great and very adjustable.

Worth thinking about the 2014 onwards CB with the 6th gear. For what you can get one for now, you could add everything you need and better than the 2017 model, and for less $$ if that is of interest...
Junking the twin std Exhausts for a Titanium single would save you around 15-20 kgs. Lighter rear shocks and an Aluminium swing arm and you'd have got your self a 30kg (66 lbs?) lighter bike! .... centre stand, lithium bat.... ;-)

You wanted it lighter didn't you?
01-22-2018 01:59 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
When I rode Eric's 2014 CB1100 Standard, I felt its biggest weakness besides the unnaturally heavy steering (which I'm convinced was nothing more than a tire issue) was the harshness of the suspension. My XSR isn't particularly plush over square-edged bumps, yet it was like a ride on a magic carpet compared to the way his CB ricocheted off of those same bumps.

Along with the forks, the shocks on the '17 are also supposed to be improved, but here's the thing. The suspension on the '17 is described as being plusher, which is exactly what I would want, after riding Eric's bike. Ulvetanna described the '17's suspension (the forks at least) as being firmer, following his little bounce test at the dealership. I'm not expecting it to be firmer. I'm expecting it to be softer, and possibly more boingy/floaty, which isn't necessarily conducive to going faster, even if it does do a better job of coping with bumps.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 08:22 AM by VLJ.)
01-22-2018 08:20 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-22-2018 08:20 AM)VLJ Wrote:  When I rode Eric's 2014 CB1100 Standard, I felt its biggest weakness besides the unnaturally heavy steering (which I'm convinced was nothing more than a tire issue) was the harshness of the suspension. My XSR isn't particularly plush over square-edged bumps, yet it was like a ride on a magic carpet compared to the way his CB ricocheted off of those same bumps.

Yep, the Gen 1 bike is loosy-goosy, poorly sprung, underdamped, unless you ride very smoothly and sedately. Which neither of us do.

Heavy steering, that's got to be tire pressure and/or worn tires.

(01-22-2018 08:20 AM)VLJ Wrote:  Along with the forks, the shocks on the '17 are also supposed to be improved, but here's the thing. The suspension on the '17 is described as being plusher, which is exactly what I would want, after riding Eric's bike. Ulvetanna described the '17's suspension (the forks at least) as being firmer, following his little bounce test at the dealership. I'm not expecting it to be firmer. I'm expecting it to be softer, and possibly more boingy/floaty, which isn't necessarily conducive to going faster, even if it does do a better job of coping with bumps.
Firmer/stiffer on the showroom floor means more compliant, better-controlled.

It's counter-intuitive, one would think plush means softer, but the Gen 1 is soft and not plush, nor compliant. A heavy bike like the CB1100 needs much firmer damping rates in both directions and a much better-designed spring with a progressive wind. My sense is that the '17 has those features.

My '15 ZX-10R, with Showa Big Piston Fork, is almost impossible to get any front end movement out of whatsoever when it's parked. Very stiff. But once it's moving, even on rough pavement, it's the most compliant bike I own. Holds grip and tracks the pavement while cranked over, good control under braking/on the gas.

If the damping/spring rates/design are right, it may feel stiffer motionless but will work much better whilst moving.

After having done the "bounce" test on a lot of bikes, and having set up many high-performance machines, my sense of the '17 is that Honda got it right.

I understand the shocks have also been redesigned.

I am really stoked to try a 2017.

Also will be looking for an EX, even if the RS shows up here. As I speculated in my little diatribe from last year, the 17" wheels change the ride quality, slow the steering at low speeds, and generally will remove the whole "traditional" quality of the bike. I got 17" wheels on lots of other bikes. I'd want the 18-inchers for sure.

The more I think about this 2017 the more I want one.

(01-21-2018 11:18 PM)Guth Wrote:  Ulvetanna, I've posted this up a few times over the years, so chances are you've seen it. As I've said many times, I'm not fast. This video pretty much captures the maximum amount that I'm willing to push my CB. It would have been nice had this particular road been smoother, but even had it been so, I wouldn't have desired to go any faster than I already was. But I can understand how better suspension might improve the experience I had on this road the when I made this video. So that much maybe I can relate to. Most of the time I'm not dealing with roads quite this "lumpy" lol so I haven't really given the suspension all that much thought. I tend to sense more issue with the rear shocks than the front forks, but again not enough to have made any changes. Again, hopefully the new CB works out better for you if that's the route you decide to go down.

You ride that thing like a dirt bike, really good lines. Seriously. That's a good video to show how the bike really likes to be ridden, nice lean angles, not a whole bunch of on/off throttle, probably getting your boots pretty close to the pavement but leaving some leeway.

That's just how to ride a CB1100, nice and smooth.

That road seems pretty decent overall but you could see a few bumpy spots. Shocks alone will help a lot, but again, sometimes it's just not enough to worry about.

Just reminds me of what a nice smooth flow the bike can provide.

(01-22-2018 01:59 AM)beardyweirdy@me.com Wrote:  You wanted it lighter didn't you?
Good point about the six-speed; you're right, I could surely get a '14 for a lot less, even new. With ABS. So then, Racetech the forks, maybe do Ikons again. Still has another 1/2 gallon of gas. I wonder.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 11:52 PM by Ulvetanna.)
01-22-2018 11:38 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
That's incredibly kind feedback Ulvetanna. While I've never aspired to be a fast rider, I've always wanted to become a smoother rider. Whenever the ferret talks about his rides, the image that sticks in my mind is one of smooth riding, linking turn after turn in a very efficient way. I picture quite a few guys on this forum with lots of miles under their tires much in the same way. It seems to me that this is how many people become at any variety of things they might do in life. If you spend enough time doing something, you end up making things look much more "routine" to someone who might be new at that particular endeavor. That's partially because it has become routine of course, but I still admire the skill set on display that the person now takes for granted. Since I'm never going to be a high-mileage, iron butt kinda guy I figure that if I want to look like those guys I'm going to have to work at it.

That's not to imply that guys like you and VLJ aren't smooth, it's just not the image that you guys paint of yourselves. I always marvel at guys who ride that still manage to look unhurried, even when they're traveling at a fairly fast clip. (I'd just like to look unhurried when I am unhurried.) But rather than riding smooth at higher speeds, my goal is to ride smoother amongst the more typical everyday kind of obstacles one might face like rough pavement, potholes, gravel, etc.. I'm constantly trying to be aware of as much that faces me down the road as possible and then envisioning the line I want to follow through what lies ahead as well as possible. It's that seemingly endless flow of information processing that gets my mind off of everything else in life. It provides me with a nice "mental reset" and it keeps me entertained. (I never said that it takes much to keep me happy when it comes to motorcycling.) That's probably why the few times that I've ridden with other people, I'm always more than content to just follow everyone else. Stick me at the back of the pack and I'll manage to keep myself entertained just fine, lol.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-23-2018 01:29 AM
reinie Offline
Break-In Period

Fostoria, Ohio USA
Luckily from what I've been reading the valve clearances rarely ever go out of tolerance in just 8000 miles. I do wish Honda had used the hydraulic lash adjusters they had in the Nighthawk 750 several years back in the 1100 motor.
01-23-2018 06:44 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
The roads in the area of the country I live in tend to lend themselves better to a smooth riding style. The curves or turns are not hard enough or technical enough if you will to come out of one slow turn, shoot down the straight, slam on the brakes, pitch it over, and go thru another tight turn. Going fast here means maintaining speed rather than scrubbing it off, and whacking it back on. Easy application of the throttle, rolling it partially off and back on rather than snapping it on and off, very little rowing of the transmission, maybe 1 gear down and one back up, but I can ride for miles without needing to shift at all by picking my lines correctly, going in deep enough to decide whether I need brakes or need more or less lean, looking far enough through the turn to know what is coming up next and if I need to prepare for that during this turn. Most guys don't stay out far enough, go deep enough, or look far enough ahead when riding and end up getting caught out on the second or third curve.

I'm not as fast on highly technical roads, roads with blind rises and switchbacks and honestly don't enjoy them very much. Too much work.I don't want to be on and off throttle, on and off brakes, rowing the gearbox up and down. I prefer roads with rhythm or flow to them. I prefer Cherahola to the Dragon for example. I prefer the last 30 miles of the BRP before you get to Cherokee. Luckily that's what we have for the most part, and what I have found typical in the mid west, south east, and north east. It's what the roads were like near Denver as well when I went out to ride with Longranger. Also what I found in the south west. Just like the road in Guth's video

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 07:11 AM by The ferret.)
01-23-2018 07:04 AM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
I did put Ohlins shocks on my 2013 and 2014 but so far I do not feel/see the need to put them on my 2017.
01-23-2018 08:25 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
During my 20s it was always a contest between my buddies and I as to who could ride the fastest. Not very bright considering the amount of beer we drank.

In my 30s I rode touring bikes with other mature riders, and had a speed limiter sitting behind me. For her to enjoy the ride, smooth riding with no sudden surprizes was imperative. Happy wife, happy life!

Now Penny prefers luxury cars to motorcycles, so I am a lone wolf. I ride a variety of lonesome back roads mid-week, so my speed is only limited by what is comfortable for me. Some roads have sweeping curves, some are tight as a knot.

Like The ferret I prefer the smooth riding style. I ride strictly for pleasure and have nothing to prove or no one to impress. Sometimes I like to enthusiastically sweep through the corners, sometimes I just like to glide and enjoy the scenery.

While I did like riding in a group I was younger, now I prefer to ride where I want and how I want with no restrictions. To me that is the FREEDOM that all the motorcycle ads promise.

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 09:02 AM by Nortoon.)
01-23-2018 09:01 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Shifting issue
Ah. Thank you. That makes sense. Need t . . .Cormanus — 09:18 PM
Shifting issue
Here is what my clutch basket looks li . . .pekingduck — 09:01 PM
Shifting issue
When bleeding a hydraulic clutch, I fou . . .MMC — 08:14 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
The flag is apparently from Costa Rica. . . .pdedse — 07:47 PM
Shifting issue
Here is what my clutch basket looks like . . .max — 07:03 PM
Todays weather
Yeah, I think Mother Nature bumped a con . . .Gone in 60 — 06:54 PM
Hanging up the helmet
What about a Grom? Or one of the other . . .GoldOxide — 06:20 PM
Hanging up the helmet
What about a Grom? Or one of the other m . . .Cormanus — 06:15 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,509