Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Different bikes, same likes
johnf514 Offline
1st Service Completed

Orlando
Different bikes, same likes
Went to take the CB out for a 150 mile ride with a good buddy of mine. Instead, a 2 year old battery decided to give up the ghost that morning. Our frigid FL winter (<30F!) finally took it's toll, and that meant I'd have to raid his stable. He's got an BMW S1000R, Ducati Scrambler, Triumph Thunderbird, and a Honda Grom. I've ridden all of the bikes before, and he's ridden my CB on several occasions.

With me on the Scrambler and him on the Beamer, we headed out west of Orlando. The Duc is a hooligan bike. Short gearing, punchy V-twin, loads of torque for a lightweight bike. And that's all well and good, but not something I want to ride for hours on end, which came evident with the wide, uncomfortably angled bars, sloped seat that puts years on your man parts, constant shifting, mediocre brakes, and odd stance for cornering (foot down like a tracker feels better than knee out). Lots of Italian personality on this whip, and not all of it is the pasta loving, wine drinking, friendly type.

After a couple hours, we switched mounts and I got to play with S1000R. This thing is German engineering and precision to a fault. In a word, light speed. Nothing beats it under 100mph in dynamic mapping. Electronics out the wazoo, you name it, it has it. Brakes as fast as it gases. We're taking yellow 15mph twisties at +45mph and I'm not phased. But the stance, you lean on those wrists. You feel like you're riding ON the bike and not IN it. Ticking years off of your prostate with every ripple and bump. Speeding tickets are like sunshine, everywhere you look, you get burned. And for a liquid cooled bike, that thing is hot, even on a 60F day. This Bavarian motor on wheels is a full frontal assault on tarmac and it will blitzkrieg without notice.

So I had my affair, with two bikes this weekend. One was silly, spontaneous, and cute, the other, exacting, daring, and tempting.

And then, after replacing the battery (is anyone else paying +$80 for theirs?) and trickling charging overnight, I commuted my 9 mile boring ride to work on the CB.

And I fell in love all over, because the the Honda has something those bikes will never exude: poise. The CB assumes nothing more than it is, and true homage to the purity of motorcycling cannot be beaten.
01-22-2018 10:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Different bikes, same likes
Funny how we all ride all these other bikes and then up falling in love with our CB's all over again. Honda did an amazing job making this an enjoyable motorcycle just for riding.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-22-2018 10:58 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
With the CB it's about riding to enjoy the ride rather than riding to make a point.
01-22-2018 12:59 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
Sorry to hear about your battery but I paid $140 for an Yuasa OEM with no regrets ! Did you say 15 mph twisties in Florida ? Was that after the 2 hour Italian lunch with wine .......
01-22-2018 01:40 PM
johnf514 Offline
1st Service Completed

Orlando
Houtman, no lunch with wine, especially not during riding. Used a little symbolism there. But we do have some decent side roads in Central FL that make for a few fun runs.

Completely agreed VLJ and The ferret, the CB fits the role perfectly.
01-22-2018 02:39 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
Back in the 50's and 60's, to a degree it made sense to bring out bigger and faster models of bikes - they simply were not all that fast to begin with. But now, just like with cars, Bikes are plenty fast, darn reliable and we have lot's of choices to pick from to fit our needs or desires - and pocket book. Why get a Mustang Cobra when a nice Buick fits the bill a lot better?

If you have the room and the budget you can even have both to suit the mood or the road trip.

They say that to really know and Love a Moto Guzzi you have to take a very long ride on her. The CB1100 had an initial attraction, but for me, it took about a year to really appreciate her.

If only I can get heated gloves or liners that work well on her. Big Grin

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 02:57 PM by The ferret.)
01-22-2018 02:47 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
John your gift for words gave me hot sweets of passion for my R1200R but i enjoy waking up to the reliable 1100
BTW i still have the original battery in my 2013 and the original Panasonic battery in my 2007 Toyota FJ built in 2006 - soon to be 12 years = YO

someday i will be disappointed but i am the kind of guy who scrapes a mayonnaise jar

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
01-22-2018 03:22 PM
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
(01-22-2018 12:59 PM)VLJ Wrote:  With the CB it's about riding to enjoy the ride rather than riding to make a point.

The CB does it, the W does it, the Enfield does it. Each in its own spefic way, otherwise I won't have bought them. Is it not that what a motorbike should be all about, the pure joy of riding?

Of course you travel from A to B or ride a full circle. But it's the feel a machine communicates to you while doing so that matters. Some hold conversations that are much more interesting and entertaining than others. They are the one I prefer. It has nothing to do with speed or acceleration. Just the way they move and move me.

Wisedrum
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 03:52 PM by Wisedrum.)
01-22-2018 03:51 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-22-2018 12:59 PM)VLJ Wrote:  With the CB it's about riding to enjoy the ride rather than riding to make a point.
Exactly.

The point is always made whilst the CB1100 is parked!

"Man, how long'd it take you to restore it?"

"What year is that, dude?"

Although I will admit I am pretty sure I have gotten a number of looks during the years I had my Gen 1 '13 Standard while I was actually riding it. I believe it made the same point as my Street Cup does; retro rules.

All absurdity aside, the CB1100 is just a bit more than the sum of its parts and does in fact reward the solo rider, the guy who goes his own way, in a most excellent fashion.

Cannot wait to hear your review of the Grom.

[I think he's rushing out to get that battery replaced...]
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 05:08 PM by Ulvetanna.)
01-22-2018 05:05 PM
jedd Offline
Running Like a Top

Austin, TX
Can't tell you how many times I've been asked

"what year is that?"....so many times...

now, I reply
"take a guess, what year you think it is?"

and wait for a reply. Way more fun!
01-25-2018 07:42 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM