Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Staintune
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
RE: Staintune
I haven't been able to pull the trigger on one. I'm having a hard time justifying that much money on what is basically a cosmetic upgrade.

I'm not cheap, I just spent $2000 on new suspension but that is a functional upgrade (and in my case necessary). The Staintune by the time it gets here will be about $1200, I don't think I can do it.

Plus just today I got a smoking deal on a 1977 Buick Electra 225, all original with 42,000 miles.
04-23-2018 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
(04-23-2018 10:04 AM)W/R Wrote:  I haven't been able to pull the trigger on one. I'm having a hard time justifying that much money on what is basically a cosmetic upgrade.

I'm not cheap, I just spent $2000 on new suspension but that is a functional upgrade (and in my case necessary). The Staintune by the time it gets here will be about $1200, I don't think I can do it.

Plus just today I got a smoking deal on a 1977 Buick Electra 225, all original with 42,000 miles.

I purchased mine directly from Staintune for $800 Australian Dollars which are roughly on par with the Kanuck Buck. I don't recall that shipping and taxes brought the total to much more than $1000 CAD. Sourcing through Pirate's Lair would have been significantly more money.

Frugal Kanuck that I am, it certainly would not have been purchased if it was simply a "Cosmetic Upgrade". In fact, most people could not even tell it was aftermarket, until I fired it up! It is also much lighter than stock, although, the smaller size might be considered "cosmetic".

I think that most CB1100 Staintune owners have experienced a noticeable and welcome improvement in performance and drive-ability. I personally noted a marked improvement in acceleration and excellent sound compared to stock.

P.S.: Did you get the 403 Olds V8?...I think that was still available in '77.
Although, even the 307 was quite serviceable.

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2018 11:03 AM by Gumby 1100.)
04-23-2018 10:51 AM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
[align=left]For me it is solely cosmetic as I'm perfectly happy with both the power and sound of the stock exhaust, I just find it a touch too big.

It has the 403 Olds, base model was 350. I don't think the 307 was available until 1980. I love my '02 TA but I'm a sucker for big 2 door '70's cars and they are dirt cheap.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2018 11:57 AM by Banned.)
04-23-2018 11:56 AM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
The staintune is was one my favorite modifications as the change in sound really improves the experience of riding the bike. It really does give the bike a much needed personality instead of just being a sewing machine.

Getting rid of the overly large factory muffler definitely looks MUCH better as well.

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
04-23-2018 02:47 PM
misterprofessionality Online
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
ok, this thread has promped me to go researching this pipe, and i'll be darned if it isn't the best sounding pipe for a CB11 i've ever heard on the internet. it's also much more affordable than most of the good Japanese pipes. Am I correct in assuming the 800 on the Staintune website is for the complete system, not just a slip-on? if so, i'm resolved to get it and get it installed when i do my performance upgrades next year.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2018 06:27 PM by The ferret.)
04-23-2018 06:26 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
The $800 is just for the slip on.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-23-2018 07:41 PM
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
ouch.......i thought since they were talking about increased performance in the description it was the complete system. let me guess, it's more than twice as much for the complete system huh? that puts it way out of range. too bad too bad....
04-23-2018 08:32 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
misterprofessionality, if you're buying an exhaust for this bike with the primary intent of improving performance then I'm afraid that you'll likely be disappointed. You'll have to put a lot more work into the bike besides just the exhaust, (and put it on a good weight loss program to boot) in order to make some gains. Even then you'll likely be disappointed as compared to most other bikes. There is of course some placebo effect that occurs with an exhaust upgrade thanks to what many would consider an improved exhaust note (which in turn encourages more and more use of throttle input, lol).

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
04-23-2018 11:26 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
misterprofessionality, so far as I know, Staintune don't make a complete exhaust system just the slip on. Could be wrong of course.
04-24-2018 01:58 AM
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
Guth: I'll put it this way. I want to change the exhaust because I like the sound. but considering the astronomical insane cost of changing the exhaust, i *also* want it to improve performance, because if i can't have both, it's really hard to justify it being worth such an insane amount of money. Changing just the sound seems like a superficial waste of money to me. even a gain of 10 or more HP would be cool. That said, just changing the pipes is not all i'm going to do when I do my performance changes next year. so far i'm settled on changing the exhaust, having an ECU flash to maximize performance, and making sure the FI system is adjusted to work in concert with the new exhaust. Also, i'm going to change a sprocket and move the power band a bit. of course, a mechanic is going to be doing all this, i have no idea what i'm talking about. all that combined should provide me with a significant and noticable gain in overall throttle response.

So, i'm beginning to gather that if I get a Staintune and I want to increase performance, I'd have to go buy headers separately? Anybody got any suggestions?
04-24-2018 05:09 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Brake Pads... Simplified
keep in mind riding style will dictate w . . .m in sc — 07:29 AM
Brake Pads... Simplified
I use oem pads and I replaced mine at 19 . . .The ferret — 06:39 AM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.