Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you think this is for real?
Mscb1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Birmingham, AL
RE: Do you think this is for real?
I may have gotten the deal of the year on mine, my dealer sells mostly 4 wheelers and doesn't have a large markup on his bikes,
he has Africa twins in stock discounted by a couple of thousand.
He doesn't charge any additional freight or setup over what is shown on sticker.

I paid what was on the sticker when I got mine in August of 2017

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Looks fast sitting still
01-23-2018 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
LOL, I paid $9999 out the door for mine on April 5, 2013. I still consider that to be the single best deal I've seen on this forum as I wouldn't trade my experience or my time with my CB with anyone else here. I know that this bike doesn't end up being a perfect fit for everyone, but hopefully a lot of others end up feeling much the same way I do when they later recount their own CB1100 purchases after looking back at time passed.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-23-2018 01:23 PM
Mscb1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Birmingham, AL
A fair price is when both parties walk away happy,
So you made a great deal and have had 3 plus years of enjoyment Clap

(01-23-2018 01:12 PM)Guth Wrote:  We probably have the tendency to sometimes lose track of the bigger picture when looking at the world of motorcycling through the window of this forum. The number of CB1100s that Honda decided to bring in always seem so low to those of us who enjoy our CBs. But in retrospect it would seem that maybe Honda knew what they were doing. Sometimes we feel it a shame that the bike wasn't better marketed, but as I've come to view things lately I don't think Honda ever felt the need to push this particular motorcycle. I just don't think that there are all that many of use who can really appreciate this machine for what it was intended to be (or rather what it is). Nor do I think that most people can really appreciate the effort that Honda went to produce such a motorcycle (along with the resulting prices). This is why I've stated a few times that I feel like Honda primarily built this motorcycle for Honda, lol. They're Honda after all, and they have plenty of great heritage to celebrate so why not?

Honda still have some leftover inventory from years past and when all is said and done it would appear that most people who really wanted one of these bikes has ended up with one. Even the bikes that were distributed in lower numbers like the DLX models were probably about right for the number of folks that were drawn to them. Those examples that are changing hands these days are taking a lot longer to do so than in the past.

I often find it hard to believe that more guys my age and beyond didn't fall hard for the CB1100 like I did. But when I stop to ponder it longer I guess that I'm not quite so surprised. I'm just glad that Honda made it possible for me to buy the one I wanted along with so many of you other guys that are here on the forum.

I fell hard when I first saw it a motorcycle magazine, but having two daughters in college at the same time, graduating a year apart in 15 and 16
and and then both getting married in 2017 and I could hardly afford to pay attention.

Looks fast sitting still
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 01:34 PM by Mscb1100.)
01-23-2018 01:28 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Ulvetanna, while you're right that there's no requirement for VINs to be issued sequentially, it is hard to believe they aren't. I suspect that, as bikes destined for a particular country roll off the production line, the compliance plate is attached and they have a pile starting with 0001 and going up to wherever. I'd be very surprised if the VINs don't give some indication of the number imported.

As for your VIN being reissued when you got a new frame, that's not surprising either. There is a mandatory link between the VIN and the engine number of motor vehicles and I'd assume that maintaining that when the bike got a new frame was sensible.

(01-23-2018 01:12 PM)Guth Wrote:  I just don't think that there are all that many of use who can really appreciate this machine for what it was intended to be (or rather what it is). Nor do I think that most people can really appreciate the effort that Honda went to produce such a motorcycle (along with the resulting prices).

I'd feel happier if you left 'can' out of both sentences I've quoted. I'm sure lots of people could appreciate the bike and its heritage, but they simply don't care. That seems to me a bit different. Even if they took the trouble and understood those things, it wouldn't change their decision about which motorcycle to own. In the end their decision about what bike to purchase will come down to 'I like THAT one'! How like is calculated is very complicated and individual. Just review VLJ's and Ulvetanna's commentary for a start! Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 01:41 PM by Cormanus.)
01-23-2018 01:40 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I am sure there are more people out there that appreciate the CB1100. I met some of them when I stopped for food. But as they are riding other motorcycles, one has to assume they appreciate something else more.

I also appreciate something different, especially if it has been properly restored. A BSA Lightning certainly would draw my attention. But that does not mean I would buy it.

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 02:30 PM by Nortoon.)
01-23-2018 01:49 PM
Labrador12 Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
I wasn't looking for or even ever heard of the CB1100 when I ran across a link to that "Ten Thousand Miles On The Last Aircooled Honda" piece. I just got back from six months of fly fishing in Ak living in my truck camper with my Labrador Retriever, Glock. I knew I wasn't going up to Ak in 18 before July and was thinking about stumbling into a big twin maybe in the spring. That piece on the Honda perked up my ears so I looked online for them. I never even considered buying a 17. I found dozens online at great prices. I've got a dealer two miles away from my new house so stopped in to look. I really like the bike. Black is beautiful. I've owned a 350F and a Suzuki 1100 Katana so I like inline fours. Thanks for the forum. I expect to enjoy the snot out of this bike if I can keep my decrepit body together for a few more years. This bike was made for me, now. I was figuring on having to invest at least 5K into a used H-D and instead got a NEW Solid Big Honda Four. I are a happy soon to be 67 year old dude.
01-23-2018 02:01 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Oh certainly there are others who can appreciate and understand such things, but as far as lot of others, or most others are concerned, well then I'm just not so sure. Not that I'm complaining mind you, I'm just trying to imagine things through the average person's point of view. Still, I do respect differing opinions on this one, especially if that makes you happy. Cool

01-23-2018 02:15 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Thank you for your forbearance, boss. I woke up a while ago and a brief but very welcome shower of rain was falling. It made me come over all egalitarian and benign. I apologise. Now I've had a bit of a cup of tea the world looks more normal and I've reverted to type. I realise most clowns out there are actually incapable of appreciation of any sort. Undecided
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 02:24 PM by Cormanus.)
01-23-2018 02:23 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(01-23-2018 02:01 PM)Labrador12 Wrote:  I just got back from six months of fly fishing in Ak living in my truck camper with my Labrador Retriever, Glock.

Okay, now I don't want to contribute to thread creep around here by any means, so I'm not going to ask you to expand on that adventure. Just know that I'm a tad bit envious.

(01-23-2018 02:01 PM)Labrador12 Wrote:  I was figuring on having to invest at least 5K into a used H-D and instead got a NEW Solid Big Honda Four. I are a happy soon to be 67 year old dude.

To keep this thread on track, this just makes your story even better in my humble opinion! That's awesome.

(01-23-2018 02:23 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Thank you for your forbearance, boss. I woke up a while ago and a brief but very welcome shower of rain was falling. It made me come over all egalitarian and benign. I apologise. Now I've had a bit of a cup of tea the world looks more normal and I've reverted to type. I realise most clowns out there are actually incapable of appreciation of any sort. Undecided

Too funny Cormanus. My viewpoints and opinions certainly often require some counter-balancing I'll readily admit. Glad you got some rain if it was much needed (wish I could send some of ours your way).

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 02:29 PM by Guth.)
01-23-2018 02:25 PM
reinie Offline
Break-In Period

Fostoria, Ohio USA
Definitely a low volume seller. Don't know what they could do to make it more popular but I do know the legroom/knee bend angle is a bit tight for tall older men. If the ergonomics were changed a little bit those old big guys like me might be more attracted to it. Just my two cents.
01-23-2018 02:33 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM