Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wish I was on CB1100 on the Dragon!!!!
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
RE: Wish I was on CB1100 on the Dragon!!!!
Ulvetanna, I can tell you that at least one of these guys raced in AMA and World Superbike, and was the fastest, craziest street rider I've ever seen. He never ate it on the street. He made other, less talented guys eat it, though. These guys worshiped him and tried to hang with him, and he rode them right to their deaths.

(02-14-2018 02:59 PM)Acrobat Wrote:  If you travel through Greek roads ( national and country ) , you'll notice every now and then small miniature churches on the side of the roads. In them are a photo and a candle. I've seen mothers of my friends collecting their sons shoes from the asphalt in absolute despair.

We've been there , done stupid things , we are VERY lucky to survive.

Who needs aggression VLJ , if you have Monica nothing can spoil your happiness . I said that before : This is the Monica effect..nothing to prove..

She is like a shield that protect you from evil and makes you a better person.Rolleyes

+1000
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 03:07 PM by VLJ.)
02-14-2018 03:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
This discussion minds me of Ed Hertfelder and his terrific columns.

If you don't know Ed Hertfelder, you are not an old guy and have no business being interested in a CB1100, let alone owning one. But that can be remedied.

Ed once wrote a column ("Duct Tapes") about the mythical "fast guy" that was always faster than anyone else in the group, and NEVER, EVER crashed.

Most of us like to believe that guy exists, and that maybe someday we could become that guy, or at least the guy who can keep him in sight.

I knew probably three or four guys who were regarded as the "fastest". At the watering hole, the talk was always about how fast so-and-so was. No one can keep up with (we'll call him "Ed") "Ed"!

"Do you know Ed? I ride with Ed's group. He's the fastest guy on the hill. No one can catch him."

Then one day, I showed up at the watering hole. First thing I hear from one of my riding buddies is, "Did you hear about Ed?"

"Huh? I been out of town. What's up?"

"Oh, man, he was in a terrible accident. He was riding with (insert names of other super-fast yokels here). He ran off Racer Road at 140 mph. It was bad, really bad."

Well, names have been changed, but there were several "Eds" and some died, some were badly injured. All fell.

Of course, anyone can go out for a nice easy ride and be taken out by a drunk or left-turner, or just plain make a dumb mistake. But the "Eds" of this world get there a lot faster.

Back to Ed Hertfelder (a slower, smarter Ed), his latest book is a great compilation of nearly 400 columns. I just bought it on Amazon. It's about $30.

He did in fact write a very good column about "Ed."
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 03:32 PM by Ulvetanna.)
02-14-2018 03:18 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(02-14-2018 03:06 PM)VLJ Wrote:  Ulvetanna, I can tell you that at least one of these guys raced in AMA and World Superbike, and was the fastest, craziest street rider I've ever seen. He never ate it on the street. He made other, less talented guys eat it, though. These guys worshiped him and tried to hang with him, and he rode them right to their deaths.

What a guy.
02-14-2018 03:19 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-14-2018 03:06 PM)VLJ Wrote:  Ulvetanna, I can tell you that at least one of these guys raced in AMA and World Superbike, and was the fastest, craziest street rider I've ever seen. He never ate it on the street. He made other, less talented guys eat it, though. These guys worshiped him and tried to hang with him, and he rode them right to their deaths.

That's too bad. Why I ride alone.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 03:32 PM by Ulvetanna.)
02-14-2018 03:27 PM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
One of my riding buddies is "this guy". Great rider, knows all the good roads. I just tuck in behind and try to keep up. He waits for me at stop signs. When we get in too big of groups are have new riders who hear about us being up on the hill, he will just stop and he and I or our small group will go somewhere else. He wants no part of idiots trying to show him up for who he is. It happens all the time. He wants no part of people dying to prove themselves.
02-14-2018 03:40 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
OK. Rather than post what I really think about all of these recent posts ... How's about we let this thread go back on topic which was, if I recall, that memphismike makes pretty neat motorcycling videos and, if we appreciate them, he might post them here more often and contribute in a positive way to this forum? Whaddya think? Good plan? Good. Let's do.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-14-2018 03:47 PM
Mscb1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Birmingham, AL
(02-14-2018 03:47 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  OK. Rather than post what I really think about all of these recent posts ... How's about we let this thread go back on topic which was, if I recall, that memphismike makes pretty neat motorcycling videos and, if we appreciate them, he might post them here more often and contribute in a positive way to this forum? Whaddya think? Good plan? Good. Let's do.

Amen!,
While at my dealers on Saturday I’ll mount my go pro on a 2018 Gold Wing DCT
I m test driving and upload it

Looks fast sitting still
02-14-2018 03:59 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-14-2018 03:40 PM)Bheezy27403 Wrote:  One of my riding buddies is "this guy". Great rider, knows all the good roads. I just tuck in behind and try to keep up. He waits for me at stop signs. When we get in too big of groups are have new riders who hear about us being up on the hill, he will just stop and he and I or our small group will go somewhere else. He wants no part of idiots trying to show him up for who he is. It happens all the time. He wants no part of people dying to prove themselves.
Good man, good plan!

Topic was CB1100 on the Worm. Mod posted video of crazy Gold Wing rider. Ensuing posts were predictable.

(02-14-2018 03:59 PM)Mscb1100 Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 03:47 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  OK. Rather than post what I really think about all of these recent posts ... How's about we let this thread go back on topic which was, if I recall, that memphismike makes pretty neat motorcycling videos and, if we appreciate them, he might post them here more often and contribute in a positive way to this forum? Whaddya think? Good plan? Good. Let's do.

Amen!,
While at my dealers on Saturday I’ll mount my go pro on a 2018 Gold Wing DCT
I m test driving and upload it
About time!
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 04:03 PM by Ulvetanna.)
02-14-2018 04:02 PM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Ulvetanna, I have never heard of Ed Hertfelder, and I own a CB1100.

Do I have to give her back?
02-14-2018 04:31 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
You Cali guys are pretty thick sometimes. I was asking you to take your needles to a different thread.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-14-2018 04:35 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>