Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cycle World goes quartely, 4 issues/year
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
RE: Cycle World goes quartely, 4 issues/year
(01-28-2018 12:27 PM)Rocky Wrote:  Call me old fashioned, but for me there's nothing like siting back in an easy chair with a cup of tea and a paper magazine to scroll through at my leisure. No electronics or power needed Big Grin

+1, EXCELLENT point, no GPS either ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLBig Grin

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018 04:49 PM by peterbaron.)
01-28-2018 04:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Here is a great, stunning example of what needs to be done.

Take Tesla, for example. Tesla has only managed stay afloat as a car company because of government funding, pumping earnings from other sources into the company, and using other ways to prop it up.

Tesla is a badge of honor for people who have contradictory goals with respect to virtue-signaling.

One the one hand, they generally seem to think they are giving the impression that they are saving the planet, and their Tesla is proof. There are many Tesla(s) in my neighborhood; I see several every time I go out. Every one has a personalized license plate to make sure you get the point. Most plates try to squash some barely intelligible communique regarding the driver's responsible and loving stance with respect to the environment. If not in that vein, the other common message is one of thumbing their noses at those of us unfortunates unlucky enough to be in a gasoline-burning vehicle.

This is patent hypocrisy (just had to use that word). The Tesla creates an astonishing amount of pollution to build, releasing as much CO2 into the atmosphere as driving a normal ICE car would create in eight years of normal mileage.

The other aspect of the Tesla market is, of course, showing that one has "arrived" in style.

So much for that.

The real problem is that the Tesla does nothing at all to help curb any kind of pollution to the atmosphere, although it does shift that pollution from local to global. Great job. Not.

On top of that, the car is hardly affordable to the average consumer. They'll take a pass every time in favor of a nice Camry. (Toyota has invested very heavily in Tesla; maybe some folks do buy a Prius).

To get the thing right, the technology and the vehicle have to be accessible to the average person. It has to be useful.

A great many people would probably like to own a plug-in electric vehicle, but not for that kind of money. That's where the smart thinking kicks in.

EMV (Electra Meccanica) has just introduced an all-electric plug-in car, top speed 82 mph, 100 mile range, 3-hour charge time (6 hours at 110V).

And it's $15,500.

Now, that's a lot less than a Can-Am trike. It's fully-enclosed, with all the creature comforts, bells, and whistles. THAT is what Millennials want. That is what I want. I'd buy one. They are not expensive. And very, very useful in an urban environment.

You could take that thing instead of a motorcycle if the conditions warranted; very cold weather, need a lot of groceries, want to run some errands, or for commuting. Most people commute alone; this would be just the thing.

The point is that this company has figure out what people REALLY need and want, and they'll likely do very very well with this product.

Meanwhile, Tesla is backlogged big time with the Model 3, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
01-28-2018 06:10 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
Tesla :nice looking cars but I would not invest one cent in the company.
01-28-2018 07:41 PM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
Sad, but inevitable that Cycleworld is going quarterly. There's a lot of fun in getting a new one every month and the feel of the paper in your hands. Like Ferret, it'll get read in a single evening and kept until the wife makes me give them away. Recent changes have made CW less exciting.

Missed most is Peter Egan and his stories that were truly "transporting." Paul Dean was also a treat in the service section and in his reviews but he only occasionally contributes now. Kevin Cameron is still at it and just as capable of making chemistry, physics and metallurgy as fascinating as always. But, the new crew just isn't as artistic and even some of those have left.

Rider may be the magazine to get now. Off to check that out.
01-28-2018 08:07 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
(01-28-2018 07:41 PM)Houtman Wrote:  Tesla :nice looking cars but I would not invest one cent in the company.

Sorry you missed out. TSLA has been an excellent investment for me. I also own shares of F and TM. Fine cars but poor stock performance.

I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. Seems like NASA would discourage such a stunt.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018 09:18 PM by LongRanger.)
01-28-2018 08:55 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Now get this; the best part!

I left out that the TOP SPEED of this little runabout is actually 137 mph.

Yep, 220 kph. It's LIMITED by the electronics to ~85 mph. Well, now, I wonder just how long it will take for someone to "reflash" that thing? My goodness, I may have to forget about another motorcycle and buy me one of those. It would be like flying a jet fighter.

Now I think of it, something like this could definitely be a replacement for motorcycling if and when I ever get to that point. I was following a trike today and man, those things can corner. I bet this little runabout can pull some serious G's, all with full stability control and ABS.

Wow, got to get me something like that.
01-28-2018 09:00 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(01-28-2018 07:41 PM)Houtman Wrote:  Tesla :nice looking cars but I would not invest one cent in the company.

I wouldn't expect so as you've been busy cornering the market on CB1100s instead. Big Grin

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-28-2018 09:31 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
(01-28-2018 06:10 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  ...

EMV (Electra Meccanica) has just introduced an all-electric plug-in car, top speed 82 mph, 100 mile range, 3-hour charge time (6 hours at 110V).

and they'll likely do very very well with this product.

I thought that was a cropped photo of half a real car till I went to the site. Interesting to see it move. For 15 and change, I'd consider it.
01-28-2018 10:23 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-28-2018 10:23 PM)pdedse Wrote:  
(01-28-2018 06:10 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  ...

and they'll likely do very very well with this product.

I thought that was a cropped photo of half a real car till I went to the site. Interesting to see it move. For 15 and change, I'd consider it.
At first glance, one wonders where the rest of it is. But it's the future, something the managing editors of Sport Rider and Cycle World failed to envisage.
01-29-2018 12:29 AM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
(01-28-2018 08:55 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  [quote='Houtman' pid='194234' dateline='1517193718']
Tesla :nice looking cars but I would not invest one cent in the company.

Sorry you missed out. TSLA has been an excellent investment for me. I also own shares of F and TM. Fine cars but poor stock performance.

I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. Seems like NASA would discourage such a stunt.
Did you sell your shares in Tesla or still have them , the profit is only on paper if you did not sell them .Remember Enron ?
We have a lot of money in the stock market but I would never invest in just a few stocks , have a basket of stocks , much safer in the LONG run .Do not fall in love with the company.
01-29-2018 06:47 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974