Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thruxton R: Owner/Rider opinions, please.
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
RE: Thruxton R: Owner/Rider opinions, please.
Ulv, it seems clear that what you really love is buying new motorcycles.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
02-06-2018 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(02-06-2018 01:33 PM)Guth Wrote:  Ulv, it seems clear that what you really love is buying new motorcycles.

....other than CB1100s.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-06-2018 01:38 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Thruxton R: Owner/Rider opinions, please.
I’ve got this. Having owned what was the first ThruxR in NJ for 2 1/2 years now, I can weigh in.

Simply, It’s my favorite bike. I’m not implying it will be yours, but all around, in a fleet of 12 bikes, it’s the one I cherish most. It’s a modern sporty road bike with retro flair, top drawer components, and a timeless style. It’s comfortable enough for an all day ride, ballsy enough for spirited twisties, and has buckets of that undefinable ‘character.’

It has been bulletproof, save for a recent recall for an ECU issue regarding stalling (mine is not so afflicted) and a spongy feel to the lever on the Brembo front brakes.

I’ve probably not put 500 miles on the CB this year, and with the Thrux and a Bonnie I use for local errands and the beach, I’ll prob use the CB as a trade in on my 60th birthday present...tbd. Happy to fill you in via PM on any specific Thrux questions. İmage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
02-06-2018 01:53 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Be still, my aching heart. Gorgeous bike.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
02-06-2018 04:04 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-06-2018 12:23 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  Love the looks of the Thrux R with the factory fairing but am disappointed to hear of stalling issues. Early F800S/ST had the same issue. Does your seldom-ridden 700GS suffer too?

I placed a deposit on a silver Thrux R to replace my DLX but once I sat on the bike, I knew the ergos weren't going to work for me.

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute with respect to your original inquiry.
Lol, your post was relevant and thoughtful, can't ask for more! Especially in the middle of winter when we're all dreaming of riding or buying or something.Beer
02-06-2018 05:08 PM
Aussieflyer Offline
Running Like a Top

Melbourne Australia
Ulvetanna, VLJ, why all the talk ... a poofteenth lighter, a whisker more HP, a bees knacker steeper steering angle, will it slow me down enough, blah blah. Just go ride one of them, see how it makes you feel then make a decision and tell us about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the forum isn't for seeking info, it most definitely is, but it seems like the discussion is almost always about the specifications of every motorcycle on the planet and which one to buy next. The conversation goes round in circles at record 'lap times'. Do you really need us to help you make a decision about which bike will stir your soul, i don't think so.

Yep, you're right, I don't have to read or contribute to the threads, but somewhere in all this I look forward to the stories from members who actually have a relationship with a bike, any bike, in 3D and not from a spec sheet.

Perhaps I'm the odd one out ... maybe it's time for me to take a break.
02-06-2018 05:09 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-06-2018 01:53 PM)Capo Wrote:  I’ve got this. Having owned what was the first ThruxR in NJ for 2 1/2 years now, I can weigh in.

Simply, It’s my favorite bike. I’m not implying it will be yours, but all around, in a fleet of 12 bikes, it’s the one I cherish most. It’s a modern sporty road bike with retro flair, top drawer components, and a timeless style. It’s comfortable enough for an all day ride, ballsy enough for spirited twisties, and has buckets of that undefinable ‘character.’

It has been bulletproof, save for a recent recall for an ECU issue regarding stalling (mine is not so afflicted) and a spongy feel to the lever on the Brembo front brakes.

I’ve probably not put 500 miles on the CB this year, and with the Thrux and a Bonnie I use for local errands and the beach, I’ll prob use the CB as a trade in on my 60th birthday present...tbd. Happy to fill you in via PM on any specific Thrux questions. İmage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WOW...!

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. Your recommendation was all I needed. Those are exactly the qualities I'm looking for, and both my current Triumphs already have spongy brakes. I had to fix that on my ZX-10R as well as a couple of other machines, it's not a serious problem at all.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your help.Thumbs Up

P. S. That is a beautiful bike...
02-06-2018 05:11 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Internet forums are a terrible place for people with abnormal behaviors seeking reinforcement form other like-minded individuals. In the case of acquiring new goodies, it happens with almost every thing imaginable from motorcycles to cars, guitars, stereo equipment, cameras, watches, etc., etc.. It always plays out the same way no matter the what the object of desire happens to be. A new object is acquired and everyone is told how fantastic it is. Then after some period of time that particular object no longer holds the person's interest the way it once did and the faults are revealed and everyone is told about them. Wash, rinse, repeat... I feel bad for the people caught up in this endless cycle and yes, I do grow tired of watching it play out again and again.

I can understand the excitement someone feels when they purchase something new that they're passionate about. No doubt about it, that's a great feeling. But when that's the primary driving factor and I see guys that have turned over an incredible number of bikes/cars/guitars/cameras/you name it/etc. over the years the first thing I generally feel is pity. That's followed by a slight bit of irritation of having to read the rave reviews, only to be followed by the later noted disappointment that is sure to follow. This is the one thing that continues to bug me about starting this forum as I hate to feel like I'm contributing to such behavior in any way. I suppose the one upside to this is that it helps create a heathy used market that other individuals benefit from. I also understand that other things in life can change that can create other issues for us. Such changes can cause a need to move on to other bikes. Folks facing those circumstances have my sympathy, but you all should know that's not what I'm talking about here.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
02-06-2018 05:14 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-06-2018 05:09 PM)Aussieflyer Wrote:  Ulvetanna, VLJ, why all the talk ... a poofteenth lighter, a whisker more HP, a bees knacker steeper steering angle, will it slow me down enough, blah blah. Just go ride one of them, see how it makes you feel then make a decision and tell us about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the forum isn't for seeking info, it most definitely is, but it seems like the discussion is almost always about the specifications of every motorcycle on the planet and which one to buy next. The conversation goes round in circles at record 'lap times'. Do you really need us to help you make a decision about which bike will stir your soul, i don't think so.

Yep, you're right, I don't have to read or contribute to the threads, but somewhere in all this I look forward to the stories from members who actually have a relationship with a bike, any bike, in 3D and not from a spec sheet.

Perhaps I'm the odd one out ... maybe it's time for me to take a break.
You are very much mistaken, friend.

How in the world could I not have a relationship with my motorcycles if I have ridden 900,000 miles in the last 35 years? I must say this, while others were busy with family and career, I was riding. I rode about 30,000-40,000 miles per year for a long time. I raced. I instructed at track days. I devoted my LIFE to motorcycle riding. And I still do. I had the TIME to ride and own all those bikes and I got to know them. I got to know people, too, and places. I rode through Alaska, Canada, the Northwest, the Southwest, and the Midwest. And a lot of it was in brutal weather and terrible conditions. I was also involved in an accident that almost paralyzed me and had to be flown out of the desert many years ago. Thank God I recovered from that.

Anyone who thinks I don't ride and look at at spec sheet is completely wrong.

I would also like to say that judging other riders based on a few posts is hardly fair, and I don't you would like to be judged that way.

At any rate, I got the info I needed from someone who was eminently helpful, and I appreciate that.
02-06-2018 05:19 PM
peterbaron Online
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
PEACE to ALL...
We all Heart bikes....and that's what counts the most !!
Big Grin

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 06:10 PM by peterbaron.)
02-06-2018 06:09 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>