Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Need advice on CB1100RS
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
RE: Need advice on CB1100RS
Here's another thought...

W/R, you could always do what I did. I wanted to swap my XSR for the CB or Triumph. This made the most financial sense to my prudent mind. Once I came to realize that this wasn't possible, however, I had to switch to Plan B, which was to rationalize to myself why it would be okay to go ahead and buy the CB or Triumph anyway, while keeping the XSR.

And that's what I ended up doing. Ultimately, I wanted a '17 CB1100 EX so badly that I was able to convince myself of practically anything in order to justify getting that beautiful red bike.

The mind and heart working together are pretty awesome that way. Give the heart enough incentive, and the mind can be talked into just about anything!

So, yep, keep your current CB. Have Samurider build you a larger tank in whatever color/paint scheme you desire. Pop for some new suspension. Bam. Your problems with your CB will be solved, and you'll feel good about being faithful to your trusty steed. You won't have to deal with any guilty feelings over dumping her, when she didn't deserve to be dumped.

Your prudent mind will be satisfied. Justice will have prevailed.

Next, go ahead and buy the RS anyway. Make your lust-filled heart happy.

Think of this as Moto Utah. You can have multiple wives, guilt-free, so have at it!
02-11-2018 09:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
F800GT Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
(02-10-2018 01:50 PM)W/R Wrote:  [...]

Yes, I know - follow your heart, which would be fine if I could just shut up my logical brain. It's not so much the money, one look in my garage shows I'm not scared of spending it, it's more the fact that I would be replacing a perfectly good motorcycle for what largely amounts to cosmetic reasons. My logical brain does not like this.

[...]

Here's some help for your logical brain Excited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfjIw3mivc
02-11-2018 09:58 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Thanks for that link F800GT. Took me to a great rendition of Give a Little Bit.
02-11-2018 02:37 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-10-2018 01:50 PM)W/R Wrote:  It's not so much the money, one look in my garage shows I'm not scared of spending it, it's more the fact that I would be replacing a perfectly good motorcycle for what largely amounts to cosmetic reasons.
Not so. Before VLJ bought his bike I fully expected he would find the 2017 to be far better in the handling and suspension department, and his assessment was just what I figured on.

The 2013-14, no matter what we do to them, forks, shocks, incantations, will never work the way the '17 onward do. Frame, swingarm, steering head, fork offset, all the little bits and pieces that go into that bike add up to a different motorcycle. The only thing really similar about them are the looks.

I do think the spoked wheels on the EX are lighter than the cast wheels on previous models, which also would tend to help handling and suspension. You're looking at an RS, of course, with cast wheels, but weight saved elsewhere.

Either the EX or RS is going to be quite different than previous models. A much more solid handful of motorcycle for those who are looking for a change.

I have expressed an interest in a 2017-onward and still have that interest. I believe Honda have addressed all the concerns I had with the previous version. At any level of riding those are going to be very obvious.

Riding well means getting back into the garage in one piece, mostly, not being the fastest guy out there. No matter whether you think you ride like the Ferret (don't underestimate that guy, btw) or like someone else who's banging shifts off the rev limiter (yes, I admit it) the real goal is control and the newer version will feel better in the hands of any rider.

Like I said, Honda has not been sitting on its hands for ten years. They know what they are about.
02-11-2018 06:24 PM
itstuantran Offline
1st Service Completed

Vietnam
I've been riding my RS since May 17 and it's clocking 18,500km. So far could not be happier with what the RS has performed in terms of engine smoothness, acelleration, handling...
Couple things i think the RS has outperformed the previous version (my own judgement) are:
- The beefer front SDBV suspension work so gook and look so nice
- Slipper clutch make it a lighter when pulling and reduce hopping of rear wheel when you need quick downshifting
- Bigger swing arms with fatter rear tire make it look more muscular
- Dual exhaust is a plus with somebody but a minus with the other. That could be fixed with an aftermarket full system such as over racing or Ruyjin Special, which you can find tons of sound clip on youtube.
- The new front brake with radial caliper works provides solid braking
- And of course, it looks very cool and eye catching Smile Notice this through side mirror Smile

(02-09-2018 01:46 PM)W/R Wrote:  Ok, I'm in desperate need of some advice.

My local dealer is getting a 2018 CB1100RS in shortly and I have first dibs on it, that's where my problem starts. I love my 2014 model and I'm not sure if it's worth it to me to trade it in for a new one, unlike some here I have never been on the motorcycle merry-go-round and generally keep my motorcycles for a long time (in 32 years I have owned 7 street bikes, I still have 3 of them and bought 2 of those last year), I just hate losing money that way.

But the RS is very tempting. What I like about is the upgraded suspension, more fuel capacity for longer range and just overall the muscular look with the fatter wheels. What I don't like is the 4-2 exhaust and I wish it was any colour other than black.

Now the 2014, the only three things I don't like are the seat (fixed with a Daytona seat), suspension (could be upgraded) and fuel capacity. So basically the only thing that can't be fixed is the fuel capacity but I didn't buy my CB for touring, that is what the Ulysses is for, so I guess it's kind of a moot point.

I'm also cognizant of the sporadic importation of the CB1100 to North America and realize this may be the only chance I get for the RS.

HELPExcited
02-11-2018 07:25 PM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
Ok, you guys convinced me - my heart is going to punch my logical brain in the face and tell to it shut the heck up.

So this morning I went the bike shop fully prepared to purchase the RS if my heart told me to.....

I forgot that the shop is closed on Monday during the winter.
02-12-2018 08:19 AM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
(02-12-2018 08:19 AM)W/R Wrote:  ...
So this morning I went the bike shop fully prepared to purchase the RS if my heart told me to.....

Hahahaaa...not at you as they say...I can't count the times I've done that.
02-12-2018 08:27 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(02-12-2018 08:19 AM)W/R Wrote:  Ok, you guys convinced me - my heart is going to punch my logical brain in the face and tell to it shut the heck up.

ROFL RATS!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-12-2018 08:48 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(02-12-2018 08:19 AM)W/R Wrote:  this morning I went the bike shop fully prepared to purchase the RS if my heart told me to.....

This is sounding more encouraging, you've already committed an unexplainable act of passion as a result of the CB1100 RS. Maybe you are on the right track. Big Grin

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
02-12-2018 08:12 PM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
What an absolutely gorgeous bike, Honda really nailed it with the RS. I can honestly say that IMO this is the best looking 2018 model motorcycle available. I have not yet seen the Z900RS in person but I can't imagine it being nicer than this. I love it.

It's just not the bike for me. At least not right now.

As soon as I sat on it I knew I was screwed, I can't reach the bars. Of course it's only been 3 months since my surgery so I may be able to reach them once I heal more but I'm not going to gamble on it.

I suppose I could buy it and change the bars and seat but that just seems wrong to me. To me the RS is not retro at all (which is fine, I was never looking for retro, just a standard bike) and the aftermarket seats all have a retro feel to them and just wouldn't look right. The same with higher bars, they wouldn't do the bike justice.

I'll see how my back is at the end of the summer and if all is good and they still have the bike I'll make it happen then.

I know I've let you all down.

Will I still be welcome at the rally or has my open invitation been rescinded?
02-14-2018 08:21 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I don't know about that... they're easy . . .Gone in 60 — 03:50 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Haha ferret....it's funny how some thing . . .misterprofessionality — 03:41 PM
Todays weather