Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HELP GAUGE REMOVAL /CUSTOM TACH
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
RE: HELP GAUGE REMOVAL /CUSTOM TACH
Man, the research guys never get any credit Big Grin

Just so you know I’ve got test equipment hooked up to my bike right now while we work the hi/lo idle issue. So there. Excited

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
02-13-2018 07:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
You research and technical guys amaze me, totally amaze me. Glad we have a few of you smart types around here. Worship

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018 08:11 PM by The ferret.)
02-13-2018 08:10 PM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
ROFL

I hear ya pop. Kudos to you too! This forum is just great. The regulars here seem like great folks. Kudos to all of you. If I wasn't 2 mos from being a first time father I would seriously consider the Kentucky trip to shake some hands.

Keep up the good work!
02-13-2018 08:10 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Fatherhood is a pretty good excuse, Bheezy. Very best wishes to you and your partner and the new baby.

By the way, I'm no expert on headlight buckets. There's a whole lot of wires and stuff in there and I wouldn't really want to have to try to make sense of them, but it's not too bad to put it all back together. The worst thing about it is figuring how to get the connectors to pop open without them breaking. They look simple but never seem to open quite the way I expect.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018 08:52 PM by Cormanus.)
02-13-2018 08:50 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-13-2018 07:52 PM)Bheezy27403 Wrote:  I would rather go to the dentist then get in the headlight bucket. I've never been in the CB's but if it is like any other bike I've had (can't imagine it's not) it's no fun.
You will be in it soon enough when the headlight burns out! The vibes get to them. Truly, not to take anything away from the altruistic nature of the forum, but it's not that bad at all. Couple of screws if I recall.
02-13-2018 09:01 PM
911jimmy Offline
Break-In Period

costa mesa ca
Okay guys it sounds like you've done so much amazing work thank you so much!!

I just want to clarify a few things for those who were wondering, the motorcycle was crashed really hard on a Canyon Road, it's near $6,000 in parts later to get to this point and the gauges were destroyed ..

The original owner unfortunately threw the gauge pieces away otherwise I would have totally left that part plugged in and had it hidden under the seat.

As you can see in the photo none of that stuff exist anymore and min of $1000 more just for the stock gauges which are too bulky for the custom motodemic headlight setup..

THANK YOU CORMANUS & POP

I BELIEVE CORMANUS ANSWERED THE QUESTION, AND ITS GOOD NEWS !! THE 2013 BIKE WILL RUN WITHOuT THE GAUGE ..

SO NEXT STEP IS GETTING THE 2013 WIRING AND ECU AND WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET IT GOING ..

*POP*
ALSO WANTED TO NOTE THE KOSO GAUGE HAS ITS OWN SPEED SENSOR & WIRING THAT WEVE INSTALLED ON THE FRONT BRAKES INDEPENDENT OF ECU

I WILL UPDATE AS THIS GETS DONE AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST THE BETTER PICTURES , BECAUSE THE BIKE CAME OUT SO NICE ...
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018 09:45 PM by 911jimmy.)
02-13-2018 09:34 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Jimmy, create an Imgur account, post your pictures there and then link to them here. Sing out if you need help.

Bike looks good.

Good luck.
02-14-2018 04:21 AM
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
(02-13-2018 09:34 PM)911jimmy Wrote:  I BELIEVE CORMANUS ANSWERED THE QUESTION, AND ITS GOOD NEWS !! THE 2013 BIKE WILL RUN WITHOuT THE GAUGE ..

SO NEXT STEP IS GETTING THE 2013 WIRING AND ECU AND WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET IT GOING ..
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
NOT so fast..

As popgun & others already mentioned 2013 2014 wiring harness is different = for sure !!
Swapping partial harness with ECU ( if it comes in few separatable sections) may not work.
Also Ulvetanna is correct with his statement:
"If you were to tear apart the gage housing, you would find computer circuitry needed to process the bike's data critical to operation.
If you were really clever you could remove only the circuit boards needed, put them into a small, separate housing, and locate that inconspicuously somewhere, like, under the seat. Run the CANBUS line to it and connect everything exactly the same as if it were the gage cluster.
The mechanical gages don't need to be connected, but, who knows how they've been integrated into the circuitry? The whole thing may be nearly impossible."

You may also have an issue with a VIN reading or writing after swapping..???
Now days with the electronics, ECU, VIN, CAN+++ it becomes very difficult if not impossible to interchange/swap parts from other vehicles. Manufactures do not want anybody to buy parts from aftermarket or wreckers, only OEM, they mean business.
Your project needs deeper study prior spending money with no results..!!
Be aware what you digging into, and I doubt if anybody can clearly say "yes , it's gonna work"

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 05:30 AM by peterbaron.)
02-14-2018 05:28 AM
911jimmy Offline
Break-In Period

costa mesa ca
(02-14-2018 05:28 AM)peterbaron Wrote:  
(02-13-2018 09:34 PM)911jimmy Wrote:  I BELIEVE CORMANUS ANSWERED THE QUESTION, AND ITS GOOD NEWS !! THE 2013 BIKE WILL RUN WITHOuT THE GAUGE ..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
NOT so fast..

As popgun & others already mentioned 2013 2014 wiring harness is different = for sure !!
Swapping partial harness with ECU ( if it comes in few separatable sections) may not work.
Also Ulvetanna is correct with his statement:
"If you were to tear apart the gage housing, you would find computer circuitry needed to process the bike's data critical to operation.
If you were really clever you could remove only the circuit boards needed, put them into a small, separate housing, and locate that inconspicuously somewhere, like, under the seat. Run the CANBUS line to it and connect everything exactly the same as if it were the gage cluster.
The mechanical gages don't need to be connected, but, who knows how they've been integrated into the circuitry? The whole thing may be nearly impossible."

You may also have an issue with a VIN reading or writing after swapping..???
Now days with the electronics, ECU, VIN, CAN+++ it becomes very difficult if not impossible to interchange/swap parts from other vehicles. Manufactures do not want anybody to buy parts from aftermarket or wreckers, only OEM, they mean business.
Your project needs deeper study prior spending money with no results..!!
Be aware what you digging into, and I doubt if anybody can clearly say "yes , it's gonna work"

pb
\
THANKFULLY THESE BIKES DON'T HAVE ANYTHING LIKE THAT.... ONLY ONES THAT I KNOW OF THAT HAVE SUCH ISSUES ARE ITALIAN BIKES LIKE DUCATI, APRILIA.... HONDA HASNT COME THAT FAR YET, WE CAN MODIFY THE HARNESS IF NEED BE OR WE HAVE NO PROBLEM GETTING WHATEVER IS NEEDED FROM THE 13 INCLUDING THE ENTIRE HARNESS.

WILL UPDATE WITH IMAGES.
02-14-2018 11:00 AM
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
(02-14-2018 11:00 AM)911jimmy Wrote:  WILL UPDATE WITH IMAGES.

Good luck Thumbs Up

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
02-14-2018 11:56 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Yea M but there's two different factors . . .misterprofessionality — 01:14 PM
I'm a bit different, i went in for a 2nd . . .m in sc — 01:01 PM
I am liking the drama of this thread, Mr . . .GoldOxide — 12:50 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on bac . . .GoldOxide — 12:47 PM
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,518
» Latest member: JoshuaER
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,764

Full Statistics

>