Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
looking at an 013 .... again
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
RE: looking at an 013 .... again
Just two comments, neither of which may be useful to you:

1. It's a good deal if YOU think it's a good deal. I happen to agree with you that it seems like a good deal, but my opinion should be largely irrelevant as is comparing the cost of a 2013abs to any other CB1100 version--none are the same as that bike. The 2014 std would be the closest, but it doesn't have ABS. You may as well be comparing the 2013abs to a Bonneville.

2. The only difference between the 2013s with ABS and those without is that the former has a better braking system. My new 2013abs is virtually indistinguishable from my old, non-ABS, one in looks, feel, handling, and gas mileage. I just wish I had Michelin PR3s on this one, which could happen by about June.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-12-2018 06:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
el duque Offline
1st Service Completed

Seattle
Thanks Guth for the nice comments on the 2013abs!

I hear ya V, 6th gear had crossed my mind. I still want abs. I'd buy an 014 dlx with a 6th gear for the same $ if I could find one. I might have to take another look on Cycle trader/ebay. I'd kinda like to keep the # as low as possible.
The dealer near here has a 017 listed at $9999. But they'll want to tack on fee after fee. I think they want it gone. I rather like the 4 into 1 exhaust better tho. $10k cash would / might be fair?

I did hear about the brake squeal and speedo issues on the T120 -

The reality is I'm planning a 10 day trip for August, but most of my riding is like Guth's - in and around the back roads of PNW. I hate the interstate. Slow mosey is fine for me. I'm 66! I realize if you don't go fast these days you might get run over or shot - so be it. Whether I like going far and wide and do more I will have to wait and see.

I have an 83 Gwing interstate - it has 5 gears. Its fine. They did make the gearing a little taller for that year so might be the difference. I'd ride it but its not as reliable as i'd feel comfortable with going alone. That and its waaaay heavier than it used to be.

Back to the 013 ABS. So it has 8k miles. The seller did mention he's "ocd" about his bikes and has changed the oil a few times.
Who know's he might even be a member here.
The thing he hasn't mentioned and I didn't ask - the condition of the tires. Its got 8k so I guessing the tires on it are orig.
he bought it with 3500 on it.
What is a new set of tires gonna cost me? ballpark. I can change them, but i don't want to Smile!
I'd like to include that in my "out the door" price. At the moment I want to be @ $6000 when I'm done. I have to pay shipping, 10% sales tax, license, transfer title, tabs, tires. Insurance will be later (I'll check back on that).

Thanks a lot for all the comments. I appreciate it !
02-12-2018 08:42 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I'd figure $350 for tires depending on brand/size and $120 for mounting on the bike.$60 if you take in the wheels.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-12-2018 08:46 AM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
Did you look at the 3 DLXs that are for sale here on the forum?
02-12-2018 08:55 AM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
the 13AD does have Linked ABS and 6 pistons calipers

Attached File(s) Image(s)

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
02-12-2018 09:13 AM
Labrador12 Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
I paid $6999 for a new 2014 in Oct. All that was added was sales tax and registration. There are still 2014s on Autotrader for that price. Good luck on your new bike. I owned a 350 four when I lived in olympia in 72-74. Good riding and fishing country back in the day.
02-12-2018 12:11 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
el duque, if your primary riding enjoyment comes from enjoying the backroads of the PNW like me then I'd be much more inclined to recommend the 2013 ABS. As a bonus, it will be the lightest CB1100 featuring ABS that you will swing a leg over, lol. 2014 DLX's have held their value better than the standards, but every CB1100 ends up taking a hit over time. I don't know if you noticed but a few months back there was a '14 DLX listed in your area that was up on craigslist for a number of weeks. That listing was no longer up the last time I checked so maybe it sold, but I think they wanted over $8K for it so they might also just be waiting to post it up again this spring. These bikes appeal to a very limited set of folks and I think that works to your advantage. You could always walk in to the dealer with the 2017 EX and offer them $10K in cash, take it or leave it. The worst think that could happen is they say no. I don't think your offer for the 2013 ABS is unreasonable. I just bought a fresh set of Metzeler Z8 Interact radials in the stock sizes for my CB and they cost me just over $270 delivered from Revzilla. Good luck!

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
02-12-2018 01:43 PM
baxtercat Offline
1st Service Completed

Rhode Isand USA
For what it's worth, I've purchased bikes through Ebay and Cycle Trader with no problem. If you have any concerns, you can ask the seller to have a local Honda dealer look it over and report to you on condition and any issues, the cost of which (if any) can be split if a sale ensues. You can also get a sense for the tires from them, and maybe have a new set thrown into the deal.
02-12-2018 05:05 PM
el duque Offline
1st Service Completed

Seattle
W/R, I just looked at those.. I will ponder.

Labrador. did you get ABS? I've seen that# at one dealer here. I'm not against them, I just prefer a private sale.

Guth, I hear ya on the depreciation hit. I kinda noticed these bikes don't get the love they deserve in the used market. Resale is a concern. Triumphs generally don't have that problem. Not that I'm looking to make $, I just want to be able to sell the bike easily when the time comes without taking too big a hit. I probably missed that CL ad you are referring to...my mind has been focused on Bonnevilles. If you see another one Thanks in advance.
Quote:"These bikes appeal to a very limited set of folks and I think that works to your advantage".
When buying I suppose, when selling not sure.

Update on the bike in question. So this is the 5th go-round trying to buy a bike. The first guy left out the fact that he didnt know what the real mileage was. It was so low it had to be wrong. I had to ask.
The second one ... I said I was interested, offered a depost, they said it wasn't needed - "I'll hold it for you" NOT.
3rd guy tried to tell me something was ok with the bike when I knew it was not.
4th guy put the $price and OBO in the ad - I made a resonable offer, he told me the price was firm. wtf? This last guy emails me back and forth 4 times doesn't mention his name and in the last post tells me the mlleage is 12k not 8k like he thought. Innocent oversight - probably, bad form most definitely. That don't cut it.

Its not that hard people! I'm either going to get all the info correct from the get go, deal with a clear, straightforward, interested, honest seller etc. or I'm not buying the bike. I don't care how good a deal it is. Call me picky (not always) ocd (Smile), or whatever...not gonna do it.

If it isn't 100% to me / seller_ I'm not doin it.
02-12-2018 09:40 PM
3rdbike Offline
1st Service Completed

Solomon, KS
(02-12-2018 09:40 PM)el duque Wrote:  Update on the bike in question. So this is the 5th go-round trying to buy a bike. The first guy left out the fact that he didnt know what the real mileage was. It was so low it had to be wrong. I had to ask.
The second one ... I said I was interested, offered a depost, they said it wasn't needed - "I'll hold it for you" NOT.
3rd guy tried to tell me something was ok with the bike when I knew it was not.
4th guy put the $price and OBO in the ad - I made a resonable offer, he told me the price was firm. wtf? This last guy emails me back and forth 4 times doesn't mention his name and in the last post tells me the mlleage is 12k not 8k like he thought. Innocent oversight - probably, bad form most definitely. That don't cut it.

Its not that hard people! I'm either going to get all the info correct from the get go, deal with a clear, straightforward, interested, honest seller etc. or I'm not buying the bike. I don't care how good a deal it is. Call me picky (not always) ocd (Smile), or whatever...not gonna do it.

If it isn't 100% to me / seller_ I'm not doin it.

Especially since the advent of the 'innernet', I find it evident that people no longer know how to sell an item. Dodgy Best of luck with your quest!

It's all practice.....

'17 CB1100 EX
'15 VFR 800
'97 R1100RT
02-12-2018 10:25 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>