Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Different Perspectives
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
RE: Different Perspectives
pdedse and ferret make good points about the CB1100's abilities on the highways and on the backroads. I wanted a bike that was sporty enough on the curvy roads and comfortable enough on the ride to get there. I chose the right bike.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-12-2018 08:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Cormanus, once I added the bar risers to my XSR, the seating position became so upright that the increased windblast on the freeway slowed me down from my previous 75-80 mph to an average of 65-70 mph. In an effort to regain those lost ten mph I tried two different Dart windscreens on my XSR, the smaller Classic and larger Marlin. They both added too much noisy turbulence around my helmet, and, yes, I always wear heavy-duty earplugs when I ride. Although the Darts are classified as small flyscreens, they're still too large for me. I tossed the Classic and kept the Marlin, but I doubt I will ever use it again.

Ever since I owned my ST1300, I've always had to fight this battle against noisy turbulence and/or annoying buffeting on upright bikes with windshields. My V-Strom 1000 was the worst, in that regard. After my experience with those two bikes, constantly trying new screens, the latest aero-flips, going taller, cutting them down, removing them altogether, etc., I finally realized that windscreens on upright motorcycles are far more trouble than they're worth to me.

I see some people here have these giant, barn door-sized windshields on their CBs. I'm sure those bikes don't have any problems with noisy turbulence, but I could never do that. I am not willing to peer through a hot, bug-splattered/rain-obscured windshield, plus I can't stand the way they look. On my beautiful EX, such windshields are strictly anathema to me.

As I discovered on my V-Strom, no screen was the best screen. Removing the stock screen altogether made for the most comfortable ride, at the expense of simply hideous looks.

With that in mind, this is what finally worked for me on the XSR...

The factory Yamaha flyscreen is so small that it basically just covers the instrument cluster. This screen is even smaller than it appears in these pictures, yet it gives me back my lost ten mph on the freeway, without ruining the looks of the bike.

So far, the windblast on the Honda hasn't been severe enough to make me want to do something about it. I love the looks of that front end so much, I doubt I will ever try a windscreen on her. For one thing, unlike the XSR, the instrument cluster doesn't need covering. In typical Honda fashion, the CB's instruments and dash are fully buttoned up and clean-looking, with no exposed wiring. Even though it's a naked, there are no bug graveyards in and around the headlight/instruments area. Cleaning the front of the CB is easier now than it would be if I always had to clear off dried bugs from a windscreen.
02-12-2018 09:46 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
My playground is about an hour away. I could shave 10 minutes off that time if I wanted to use 4-lane highways at 120 KPH (75 MPH) to get there. But those roads are busy, boring, and patrolled. I would also have to deal the wind blast and noise which would make the ride uncomfortable and fatiguing.

I ride for strictly for pleasure, so the back roads are what I use. The roads are quieter, more challenging, and scenic. The ride is more comfortable, pleasing, and less tiring.

Sometimes I like to ride enthusiastically through the twisties, sometimes I just like to cruise and enjoy the scenery. So the CB1100 is perfect for me. Yes she is plump and top heavy. But I like the retro looks, audible exhaust note, smooth and strong motor.

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2018 09:54 AM by Nortoon.)
02-12-2018 09:50 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
"playground" <--- perfect word. I need a bike that is fun at the playground and is comfortable on the way to and from.

I'm 6'1" and 230lbs (but working on becoming a more aerodynamic 220). I share VJL's windscreen experience, but my solution was buying a better (quieter, lighter, and more aerodynamic) helmet. I don't share his experience with speeds over 70mph, however, even with my old HJC lid. 80mph is not a problem for me on my naked CB1100. I can think of only three times when I wished I had a windscreen; twice in summer storms and once when it was 3f outside. Riders should add a windscreen if they feel that it will make them more comfortable, but they should know that there are at least a couple of us for whom the opposite is the case.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2018 10:23 AM by EmptySea.)
02-12-2018 10:09 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-12-2018 06:58 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  I'd just like to point out that Novice Rider's "Horrible on the freeway" and Guth's "...the fact that the CB1100 doesn't do that well [on the freeway]" are opinions and neither is shared by yours truly who rides a lot of highway miles on his naked CB1100.

Other that that, though, I enjoyed the report and the comments which followed.
LOL! I thought my '13 was excellent on the freeway, better than any other bike I had or have. Gobbles the miles. That's one reason I'm contemplating 2017.
02-12-2018 10:24 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
The CB is excellent on the freeway. Full stop. Is it R1200RT excellent? No, it's not, but who goes out to their garage simply to admire their refrigerator?
02-12-2018 10:33 AM
RLS Offline
1st Service Completed

Memphis, TN
(02-12-2018 10:33 AM)VLJ Wrote:  The CB is excellent on the freeway. Full stop. Is it R1200RT excellent? No, it's not, but who goes out to their garage simply to admire their refrigerator?

I do if it is full of beer.

I tried a few different windscreens and hated them. Didn't like the way they looked and they only forced the wind to my head. I am used to riding without one now and won't try again.
02-12-2018 11:00 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
VLJ, I really enjoy your posts. I don't always condone your propensity for risk, which is fine, but we do share a lot of experiences and perspectives in common and I find you a joy to read. Thanks!

Edit: My "playground" literately starts at my driveway. Lots of great riding abounds here, including the entrance station to the highest paved road in North America just 18 miles from my front door, and there's enough good riding (if you enjoy the mountains) within a 200-300 mile radius to keep one busy for two weeks. Happy to open my home to anyone who needs a base camp to explore the many great riding opportunities in Colorado.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2018 11:12 AM by LongRanger.)
02-12-2018 11:02 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
LongRanger, I would kill to have mountain roads right at my doorstep. Your place sounds like Moto Heaven.

By the way, at that 14K elevation, how much power-loss do you notice up there, and when you ran carbureted bikes up there, did they run like crap due to the fueling being way too rich?
02-12-2018 11:22 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
You should take him up on the offer VLJ. Offroad and I did last year. Stunning place to ride, beautiful home, incomparable host, wonderful time!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-12-2018 11:42 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I am grateful for a cage that keeps me w . . .GoldOxide — 06:30 PM