Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mendocino, The Sequel: Monica, mickey, and Guth
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Mendocino, The Sequel: Monica, mickey, and Guth
You've never owned a Ducati have you? Lol. Everyone I know that owns a Ducati complains about rear brake squeal. My son's is horrible.. Embarrassingly so.

I agree though, they shouldn't squeak

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 07:48 PM by The ferret.)
02-22-2018 07:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
The Brembo's on my Monster don't squeal but the rear Brembo on my F800GT absolutely howls. My CB's brakes are quiet.

VLJ, great writing as usual. Thanks!

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 08:43 PM by LongRanger.)
02-22-2018 08:40 PM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
LongRanger, thanks.

I'm just wondering why this thread was moved here, where few will see it. It's a follow-up Part Two ride-review to the Part One thread that was allowed to remain on the General Discussion board. If all this thread was about was the location I visited, sure, I could see it being shunted off to the Seat Time forum, but it's not. It's a follow-up discussion about a couple of performance tests I wanted to give the bike, following my first trip with her to Skaggs Canyon.

Otherwise, it seems that everyone is saying their rear brakes squeal. My rear brake is fine. It's the fronts that squeal. Has anyone here with a '17 CB1100 experienced front-brake squeal? If so, did it eventually go away on its own?

I'm curious as to what the Honda dealer would try to do to fix it.
02-22-2018 09:04 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Sometimes we notice a thread that's considered belonging in another forum and sometimes we miss it. If it's a ride report it goes in seat time. If your other one stayed in general, it shouldn't have. Cormanus caught this one and moved it. It shouldn't get any less "front page" here than in general because all posts are highlighted in " recent posts" plus any posts members don't read are highlighted so that they do see them, I believe. At least they are on my computer and I pad.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-22-2018 09:14 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(02-22-2018 06:52 PM)VLJ Wrote:  mickey, sure, to avoid the squeaking I can simply use the brakes differently. I don't want to. I shouldn't need to.

The brakes shouldn't squeak, regardless of how they're applied. They didn't squeak on any other bike I've owned, and I never had to remove the pads and apply grease to them.

Clean everything. If that doesn’t work—Try different pads on next go round. If that doesn’t work—Replace the rotors. If that doesn’t work—Get better earplugs

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-22-2018 10:16 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(02-22-2018 09:04 PM)VLJ Wrote:  It seems that everyone is saying their rear brakes squeal. My rear brake is fine. It's the fronts that squeal. Has anyone here with a '17 CB1100 experienced front-brake squeal? If so, did it eventually go away on its own?

I'm curious as to what the Honda dealer would try to do to fix it.

Several 2017 CB1100 EX owners have posted in other threads that our front brakes squeal just before stopping. No it does not go away. My dealer said they probably need cleaning, but did not do so when I had it in for a back brake problem.

They suggested I use them harder. Which I tried, but they still squeal coming to a stop. I assume, given that you appear to ride harder than I do, that this is not a proper fix for the problem.

I noticed the rear brake dragged when I turned the rear wheel to lube the chain. The dealer said it would pass as the brake pads wore down, and I should use the rear brake more. I did and the disk became discoloured. Honda Canada authorized the replacement of the rear disk and brake pads. Now the rear brake is as useless as dragging my feet. I assume there is air in the brake line that they did not bleed properly.

I will give the dealer one more try in the spring. If they fail again, I will have to read my new Helm Service Manual and learn to do it myself.

This ticks me off as my CB1100 EX cost me twice as much as my CB500X. I rode it for over 33,000 kilometers (20,500 miles) and never had a problem with the brakes.

2017 CB1100 EX
02-23-2018 10:41 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
That's my feeling, as well. The brakes should not squeal when coming to a gradual stop, or any other time, and a Honda service department should not pass the buck by advising the owner to ride the bike differently instead of remedying the issue at the source.
02-23-2018 11:18 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Can't tell you about your own service department, but mine is hardly "passing the buck". I realize that this could be a different issue since yours is with your front brake, but my service department has recommended the same exact things you have been talking about. I don't view that as passing the buck, but as trying to help me solve the squeak. Changing my braking style might stop the squeak, but that's not the point. Knowledge of under what circumstances the squeak occurs or does not occur has diagnostic value. Of course, that doesn't mean that the squeak will get fixed, but I view my service department's response as a helpful effort lacking, so far, the desired results.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-23-2018 11:47 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
If all a service department does in response to a brake-squealing issue is to tell the customer to brake harder, that's a clear-cut case of shirking their responsibility and passing the buck. Brakes should never squeal, regardless of how they're applied. The service department needs to ride the bike, experience the squeal, diagnose the cause, and provide a permanent mechanical solution.

Besides, I've already used the brakes hard—harder than most CB1100 owners will ever use their brakes, I would think—so any diagnostic value in braking harder has already been covered. My bike has 2,000 miles now, so the brakes are about as broken in as they're ever going to be.

It's time for the problem to go away. I'm calling my local dealer now to set up a warranty-repair appointment, and I definitely won't accept "just avoid any gradual braking when you come to a stop" as a solution.
02-23-2018 12:47 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Check for rear brake drag before you go in.
It is as easy as slowly turning the wheel.
If it does, the hub of the disk will discolour over time.

2017 CB1100 EX
02-23-2018 01:47 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>