Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suspension, have plan but input appreciated
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: Suspension, have plan but input appreciated
(04-19-2018 05:58 PM)misterprofessionality Wrote:  That's what I was looking for. So, I'll conclude that an improved suspension won't do jackall for me at this time. gonna have to get a few decades older.

Like you, MrP, I've arrived at the same conclusion by weighting the economic criteria very heavily in defiance of the likely facts. I had to put new shockers on a bike I once owned. The mechanic told me I wouldn't know myself. I couldn't tell the difference; but then I didn't ride it for much longer. My reasoning is that, if I don't try upgraded suspension I won't know what I'm missing and continue to be perfectly happy with what I have for the sort of riding I do.
04-19-2018 10:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
(04-19-2018 01:26 PM)misterprofessionality Wrote:  i don't think i've ever noticed or thought anything good or bad about the suspension.

Awareness on quality is double sided- you learn nuance and appreciate the difference- but you also notice when other stuff is subpar and that bar is now higher.

This is true for cars, bikes, food, tv's, stereos...

To an extent ignorance is bliss. I drive by McD's all the time and there is a full parking lot and long line at the drive through. There is a reason people still buy American cars as well.

If you don't notice yet- stop reading these type of threads and stay happy. It's cheaper and less frustrating that way. Smile

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
04-20-2018 02:26 PM
tinboatcapt Offline
1st Service Completed

Minnesota, USA
I was happy with factory suspension/tires until I rode a bike that was absolutely horrible. When I bought my ST1100 I was afraid of the thing until I found a tire/suspension combination that worked. The most improvement was replacement of the OEM tires with wider, lower profile, better quality units. (Michelin Pilot Road 3's). Then the stock suspension began to fail so I replaced it with a substantial upgrade. (Traxxion Dynamics Cartridges and Penske rear shock).

Where do I feel the difference? Near the edge of performance.The vast majority of riding time the added expense makes little difference. It is when I want to take the ride to the edge of the performance envelope. The upgrades make the edges wider, but at the same time give less warning of approaching disaster. Which is why manufactures design the bikes the way they do; For as much safety as is possible with a motorcycle.

Ride Safe
Jim

2014 CB1100 Std
2000 ST1100
1981 CB650C
04-21-2018 05:25 AM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Biggest improvement for me- on both the front forks and rear shocks was lessening the blow felt on jarring bumps.

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
04-21-2018 05:45 AM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
(04-21-2018 05:45 AM)PowerDubs Wrote:  Biggest improvement for me- on both the front forks and rear shocks was lessening the blow felt on jarring bumps.

That's all I'm looking for, there are a lot of jarring bumps here.

A couple of years ago I was cruising one of my favorite short rides on a coastal rode and hit a huge frost heave. As is the case with frost heaves it hadn't been there before the winter and there was no warning sign out yet. I hit it doing about 80kph and launched my Night Train into the air both wheels off the ground, the landing really hurt.

That's an extreme case but if want hear about the roads here, read what Bama Rider has to say about them:

http://www.bamarider.com/cdn02-7
04-21-2018 08:11 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM