Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Valve Check On 2013
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
RE: Valve Check On 2013
My wife and I had a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 liter V6.
Recommended valve check at 60,000 miles.

With a house in Las Vegas Valley and shop in Ventura County, CA, I commuted alternate weeks for about 10 years.

At that time, the service manager at Victorville Hyundai (mid route) was someone I trusted.
Around the 60K mile mark, I took it in to be checked.
Listening to the engine idle, with hood up, he advised me to not open it up.
He further advised that none of the ones checked needed adjustment.

We drove that vehicle for over 140,000 miles, until 2016, without ever touching the valves (bucket shim type).

The only issues were a TPS (limp mode) and later a CEL for the two fuel tank sensors not being in sync (replaced fuel pump and fuel sensors). It ran strong at the time it was traded.

Back to the CB1100:

Too much gap should be audible, certainly with a stethoscope, if not drowned out by the injectors.

The issue would be not enough gap, resulting in a valve not fully closing and burning that valve.
This would not happen from cam or bucket wear (open gap), but from a valve settling into its valve seat...which would likely happen during its early life.

Based upon reports on this forum, that is not happening.

At this point, the valve clearance check intervals seem extremely conservative.

23 Guzzi V7 SE 23 Yam XT250
18 Yam Bolt 22 Triumph St Twin 20 CanAm Ryker
14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 Guzzi V7II
17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S
03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360
70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2
70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160
67 Honda CB16062 Honda CA110
03-17-2018 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I'll likely be checking on mine sometime this year. I personally am not too worried about causing problems just by checking things out. If I do something wrong, well it's on me of course — live and learn, such is life. It's no wonder that our society has ended up with such a disposable mentality when it comes to countless products these days.

This is the one job that my mechanic buddy Chris expressed an interest in he and I performing together at his shop if I were up for it. My guess is that he'd really like to have a look inside of the engine. I'd love the opportunity to wrench with him and would be willing to pay to do so, but I also wouldn't have a problem with doing this on my own. I'll make that decision when the time comes. The main drawback (from a financial perspective) with going this route is that there's a good chance I'll end up having a Power Commander installed at that time as well $$$...

dbarkdoll, I agree with the others that it's likely the fuel injectors that you're hearing. But just for peace of mind, were it actually to prove that it was your valves making such noises, you might take some comfort in knowing that the quieter (looser) valves become (as opposed to becoming noisier), the more likely it is that something is going wrong. Quieter = tighter valves, tighter valves = more potential for damage. I'm not sure how old you are, but I would cherish the thought of working together on a motorcycle (any motorcycle) with my father were he still around. If your father has amassed a large number of tools, then it's highly likely that he truly enjoys tasks such as this (ask me how I know, lol). Good luck!

Great information Max! Much appreciated and respected.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
03-17-2018 10:06 AM
max Online
Road Warrior

Auckland New Zealand
Thanks Guth and let me take this opportunity to thank you and your team for what you do and how it's done.

It was a curiosity thing for me, i had listened to the valves as we all do and thought i could hear one of them but......
Pretty sure the bike can do at least another 40.000 km before it needs looking at again, the main things i found to look out for are;

1 damaging the gasket when separating from the head ( i lifted it clear and pushed it all up with a long and thin screwdriver ) whilst taking it out of the frame since there is very little clearance and easy to nick it on the invisible cam-chain guard, i spent some time taking care this would not happen.

2 dropping sand into the engine which would go through the oil pump first and then spends it's life grinding away suspended in the oil shortening engine life, i cleaned the frame and all parts surrounding it before the cover was removed.

3 putting parts back the wrong way, i probably took 60 pictures and some video's and could not work out where a rubber strip went, so i left it out only to find later that it is placed under the connectors of the ecm, not essential but underlines my finding over the years that the assemblers at the factory do the best job in the life of the bike, everything done after they finish is going backwards, so i motivate myself to take as much time, thought and effort to try and equal their dedicated work.

4 in the unlikely event that you do need shims allow for the time required to leave the bike in a safe and clean state until said shims can be installed, also write down, date and the mileage together with the in and ex gaps for each valve and it's position for future reference so you can spot a trend should one develop, measuring the gaps is very easy and the time is mostly spent writing and rotating the engine , pictures are your friends.

5 the 4 cam bearing covers and the two cam shafts are identical and i would definitely mark them so each went back the exact same place for (lack of ) wear purposes.

You are saving a considerable amount of money and get a good feel for what's going on underneath you in return, plan ahead and have a back-out plan for when you need it, don't rush and make sure you are ready for the job.

And finally if there is a problem i usually make a coffee and think instead of making a wrong move, it is not a race, it is a time to be careful,
and observant, time well spent, trust me.

sometimes i get lucky, and the more i practice the luckier i getCool
and; It's always something simple......just not always simple to find.
2020 cb1000r chromos red
2010 cb1100 candy red
2006 cb919 hornet black
1977 cb550 k3 1st owner
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2018 11:30 AM by max.)
03-17-2018 11:16 AM
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
(03-17-2018 11:16 AM)max Wrote:  Thanks Guth and let me take this opportunity to thank you and your team for what you do and how it's done.

And finally if there is a problem i usually make a coffee and think instead of making a wrong move, it is not a race, it is a time to be careful,
and observant, time well spent, trust me.

Well written, Max!

23 Guzzi V7 SE 23 Yam XT250
18 Yam Bolt 22 Triumph St Twin 20 CanAm Ryker
14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 Guzzi V7II
17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S
03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360
70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2
70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160
67 Honda CB16062 Honda CA110
03-17-2018 11:35 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Thanks for choosing to share even more very wise words max.

I bought my old Hawk GT over a decade ago when I got back into motorcycling not just because I wanted to go riding and the Hawk was my first "dream bike", but also because that bike was relatively affordable and unlike a new bike it was going to require some degree of work on my part. I could have purchased a new bike at the time, or I could have taken the Hawk to a mechanic every time it needed some work, but that was not the motorcycle ownership experience that I was after. I've gotten to know my Hawk a lot better over the years as a result. In turn, my mechanical skills have improved a fair bit over time as well.

Working on the Hawk represents the only time I've checked / adjusted valves in an engine. The valve setup in the Hawk is a lot simpler when it comes to adjusting the clearances, but it was still a great learning experience. Fortunately, I learned the value of your last point about slowing down and thinking things through thanks to the Hawk. It represents the machine that I actually found pleasure through twisting my own wrenches. I haven't always gotten everything right the first time around, but I'm grateful for realizing the true value and enjoyment of carrying out my own mechanical work. I don't see that changing any time soon. That is also one more reason why I have so much respect for Honda products overall.

03-17-2018 12:04 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Unlike Guth, I find little pleasure in working on bikes. I am not by nature, very mechanically inclined. I'm the extroverted artistic one. I write stories and books, I draw and paint. I'm good with pencils and paper, and generally with people. My brother the introvert is good with tools and understanding mechanical processes. The world needs both kinds. Been like that since we were little boys. I can read the service manual and follow steps, and can/do work thru the simple stuff, adjusting a chain, pulling either wheel if I have to, changing the oil, filter and air filter, lubing a clutch pivot pin, replacing a battery etc, but it doesn't come to me naturally or easily., like it does my brother. If someone made something, almost anything, he can take it apart, fix it, and put it back together again. That was never me. Then again, you won't find him online as he just cannot grasp computer stuff, or cell phone stuff, or communicating much with people especially online, but face to face either, for that matter.

Beyond the most simple basics I have no desire to work on my motorcycles, I'd rather pay someone else with real mechanical talent/abilities to do the work, and I will ride them.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-17-2018 01:16 PM
Django Online
Road Warrior

Germany

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
03-17-2018 01:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
ROFL That's Randy (my younger brother)

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-17-2018 01:42 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
He’ll be an engineer... ROFL

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
03-17-2018 02:25 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Interesting observations ferret. I liked math and science in high school, studied engineering in college and went on to work in the telecom industry. After five years time, I left the cushy engineering job due to a lack of interest so that I could pursue other things in life. Despite the technical comprehension that I exhibited early on, I had also always been fairly artistic. This lead to my serving as a graphic designer before finally bouncing back and forth between a number of marketing and IT roles for a variety of high tech companies. I still like to dabble in design now and then when the opportunity presents itself. In general, neither the left nor the right side of my brain is dominate. Sadly, this has often resulted in my growing bored with most pursuits after a short period of time. While I'm creative, I've definitely never been extroverted, lol.

When I was in high school, we were given the option of participating in either the industrial arts ("shop") or college prep courses. I saw college as my way out of the small rural town where I grew up so my path was set at that point. I can still remember having to walk through a portion the shop where guys were learning to tear apart and repair small internal combustion engines in order to get to one of my math classes back then. Honestly, I would have much preferred to be tearing apart engines back then. I sometimes think that I've been spending the last three decades of my life making up for that. I'm certainly not the best home mechanic out there, but I do enjoy it and get a great deal of satisfaction from turning my own wrenches under the right circumstances.

03-17-2018 06:09 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
2024 East Coast Rally - Official Thread
Good afternoon all, Well, the East . . .TooSlo — 09:15 AM
The OEM rack "How To" thread doesn't match t...
Reviving a necro thread, 'cause there' . . .TooSlo — 09:06 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
Tube tires are well used on the Africa T . . .GoldOxide — 08:27 AM
I literally, yesterday, put on a T32. br . . .m in sc — 07:52 AM
2021 Guzzi V7 Special
TooSlo, you really dig in this forum t . . .TooSlo — 07:17 AM
might be technically fine, but IMHO th . . .TooSlo — 07:14 AM
Milestone Thread (Take 2)
Go Django! Interesting it doesn’t sa . . .Django — 11:40 PM
Sundays with Cheryl