Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Bar End Mirrors: My Solution
x(why)z Offline
1st Service Completed

Pennsylvania
Bar End Mirrors: My Solution
Hi there!

I've been after a set of bar end mirrors that retained my bar end weights for quite some time. I wanted to remain legal, while also making my bike a bit more aesthetically pleasing. I find myself using my mirrors very little for more than monitoring whether I'm going to be rear-ended at a red light, as I grew up riding mirrorless dirt bikes and being in the habit of obsessive shoulder checking.

With all that in mind, I set out to find my ideal product, but wasn't all that successful. What i did find were these little guys. The quality is higher than I anticipated, and the mirror, albeit small, is quite clear.

I didn't want to give up my weights, as I've gone down that path before and wasn't a fan of the increased vibration.

Instead, I used an 70mm M6-1.0 stainless bolt with the head removed to thread into the mirror where the ball adjustment was previously inserted. I locktited it in place.

From there, I simply used my new mirror/bolt combo with a stainless lock washer as a replacement for the bar end weight's former bolt.

The lateral aim of the mirror is just about perfect (after a bit of light coaxing courtesy of well applied heat), and the vertical adjustment is easy.

I am aware that this solution isn't for everyone, and that these much smaller mirrors may not tot he taste of many, however, for my application I am quite pleased.

Tomorrow I will install dust covers on the front fork, then wait for the snow to melt.

I gave my CB an oil change today, and a host of other small maintenance items in anticipation of spring arriving. After four months dormant, it fired right up.

And yes, I am running Lucas oil. I had 3 quarts remaining from my fall pre-winter storage oil change, but I'll likely go back to OEM oil for my next change.
03-10-2018 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
RE: Bar End Mirrors: My Solution
So this is an oil thread now? Tongue

Very clever solution to your mirror mounting. I like it, and they look good! Thumbs Up

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
03-11-2018 02:24 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Interesting soultion. My son has those mirrors on his Ducati Monster. When I ride it I can't see squat out of the mirrors lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-11-2018 06:00 AM
x(why)z Offline
1st Service Completed

Pennsylvania
(03-11-2018 06:00 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Interesting soultion. My son has those mirrors on his Ducati Monster. When I ride it I can't see squat out of the mirrors lol

They sure are tiny! I'm going to give them a try, and then maybe use the same principal on something a bit bigger. My bike has never seen an urban area bigger than 12,000 people, so I'm not worried about testing them out for a while.
03-11-2018 07:41 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM