RE: Major changes coming to the CB1100 Forum due to impacts of the EU GDPR
I voted to leave the EU but this was not in my reasoning,
03-17-2018 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(03-17-2018 08:12 AM)SportsterDoc Wrote:  So, the primary issue is requesting/collecting email addresses?
So EU members could be allowed to visit, but not register, due to the need for an email address?

I "collect" (not my terminology) names, email addresses and perhaps the most notable item: track IP addresses. The reality is that I never much look at any of these things. But with the forum software IP addresses are used for a variety of reasons, including banning of all things.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
03-17-2018 09:13 AM
jtopiso Offline
Running Like a Top

Spain
(03-17-2018 09:13 AM)Guth Wrote:  I "collect" (not my terminology) names, email addresses and perhaps the most notable item: track IP addresses.

And some VINs Angel
03-17-2018 10:11 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
This news is very saddening and I to hope that it doesn’t come to pass. I do applaud the EU for their step towards higher internet security and hope more country’s take similar steps, but here I will end the politics. I also totally understand Guth’s position as I was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago, “choose your battles carefully” I always told my kids. Is it possible to re-construct the forum from scratch to satisfy new regulations ? And if so, can the old forum be archived so that only content was available IE: Delete all personal info and keep just the threads that could be linked to the new forum ?

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2018 10:39 AM by Chapomis.)
03-17-2018 10:38 AM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
Hi Guth et al.,

I asked a friend, who is sysadmin at a large television station located in Munich/Germany. He told me, we should relax and just continue:

- this is not a commercial site and it is a free site. Selling some T-shirts (souveniers) does not make it commercial ether,
- the server is located in the USA, not in the EU,
- language is English, addresses mainly users in the USA or English speakers,
- collecting private information of e.g. user named is not enforced, is given voluntary.

This GDPR is meant for companies like google, amazon, facebook, microsoft, to protect the privacy of their users (you and me) and protect us against cyber crime, not as a bureaucratic act against such small private social networks.

So I do think, there is no impact at all at this forum.

However, if you really wanted to move on to https, it would be quite easy:

The forum software itself is not impacted, your provider should offer you https connection as well, they would access the forum just thru another port, but you might have to pay extra for this service. I dunno your contract.

If you have your own server/vserver, you could get a cert via Letsencrypt and just change Apache webserver to listen to port 443/HTTPS. It's not a big deal to configure this.

Btw, I'm am member at a German forum (http://www.cbf-1000.de/) which will not change to https as well.

HTH,
Django

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2018 11:07 AM by Django.)
03-17-2018 11:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(03-17-2018 10:38 AM)Chapomis Wrote:  Is it possible to re-construct the forum from scratch to satisfy new regulations ? And if so, can the old forum be archived so that only content was available IE: Delete all personal info and keep just the threads that could be linked to the new forum ?

I do not think that this regulation applies to information in a retroactive fashion. So that which has been done is done (reference the Internet Archive "Wayback Machine"). If someone were so inclined, I have little doubt that this forum could be re-configured behind the scenes so as to be in compliance with this regulation (and others that are likely to follow) going forward. One of the things that I'm trying to make clear is that I'm not that guy. I can respect regulations of this sort, but don't wish to be bulldozed into compliance. In honesty, I have too much else going on in my personal life on the health front to be bothered with this sort of thing even if I felt like playing ball in this case. I've been so caught up in my health issues the past few years that this bit of regulation totally slipped by unnoticed by myself until just yesterday.

Django, I can appreciate you friend's input, but the information that I'm reading is in conflict with what your friend is saying. Also, the regulation provides a means for individuals to call out anyone who is collecting such information as I do via the forum software which at a minimum would be a real pain in the butt for me. At the end of the day, in the case of your friend, his company would be on the hook for dealing with such things whereas I'm the one stuck with such things should someone decide that they aren't happy with the way I'm operating things here as it applies to the GDPA.

As of now, my solution will simply be to remove access to this forum for anyone residing with the EU.

By the way, being a commercial site or not would appear to have nothing to do with any of this. Nor does the location of the "business" itself, or the server location for that matter. I think your friend needs to better inform himself.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2018 01:23 PM by The ferret.)
03-17-2018 11:06 AM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
Guth, you are an USA citizen running a harmless, private motorcycle related forum in the USA. I cannot see, how the EU should be able to rule you. You are just not under the law of the EU. Also neither Russia nor China could rule you.

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
03-17-2018 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Acrobat Offline
1st Service Completed

Chios, Greece
I heard you all , waiting the dust settles. Hello , this is Europe calling, as i stated here in my first post, I was never been a member in any kind of forum or group in my life.
I have no personal Facebook account , no instagram, no any account.Always been a kind of a lonely rider.
World Wide Web is a very dangerous place and governed by monopoly , as recently stated by WWW founder. So measures must be taken.
I'm here for the love of motorcycling, the love of HONDA CB1100 and what this machine represents to me and to many others here. Not just things, more like pieces of my life and my soul. My senses and my body interacts in an amazing way with this mechanical piece of art.
To the hart of the matter now, I totally agree with you Guth. This place is created from you by lOVE. Like everything noble in this world. Because this is the purpose of our existence. To pursue creativity through love and cherish life.
I sensed the sadness in your writing. Maybe a kind of relief, taking some weight off your solders. You have the responsibility of your creation and it is not easy. For us is different, we just pop up , write whatever stupid things WE think are interested and everything is ok.
Most people here are Americans. Logically it's an American forum. Despite the culture differences from us Europeans, I believe we share the same principles and values and I'm glad about that.
The most important thing for me right now is for you to be healthy and strong and enjoy your life and family ( and riding...).
Whatever happens I want to thank you , moderators and all members for being my virtual friends and having such a great time with you.
I'll be here till the end. After...l will spend less time in front of a screen and more time riding...
I have to admit I'll miss many things. Ferret's weather report, ex machina Cormanus and most of all the excellent writing from VLJ. By the way how's Monica? Give her a kiss from me VLJ. O I forgot master chef MTC (food is important..).
Anyway I what you all members to know that there is a friend for you here in Europe , in this small Aegean island. You know how to find me. I'll be here for you.
Guth I wish you well and be strong, whatever you decide I thank you again.. As for me, I'll keep doing my acrobatics...Hello
03-17-2018 03:25 PM
alprider Offline
High Mileage

CH
i guess in future will us our browsers here in europe only warning...hey attention you want go to a unsave page....and thats it....the forum software runs not of europe surfer.....so i guess : dont worried...
03-17-2018 04:14 PM
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
Possessing lovely CB1100 WITHOUT this Forum is heartbreaking...
I am not any legal expert, so I cannot provide any valuable advice.
Guth, you are the man who constructed this Forum and put all your heart into it = THANK YOU !!

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
03-17-2018 04:58 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition