Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
K&N oil filter spill
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: K&N oil filter spill
Having seen a K&N filer that failed on Pterodactyl's CB1100, I will never have another one.

(03-18-2018 06:37 PM)Flytech99 Wrote:  I used the K&N on a previous HD with no issue.... The little nut made it super easy to get on and off since the filter was mounted sideways in front.

Flytech, I have a recollection that K&N says you must not tighten the filter with the nut; it is there for removal only.
03-18-2018 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dude Offline
1st Service Completed

Austin, Tx
Happened to me too. Using oem filters now
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2018 03:58 PM by Dude.)
03-23-2018 03:58 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Removing the stock exhaust and installing an aftermarket unit will not void the warranty, unless you damage it or any related parts during the removal or installation process and then try to claim it was defective.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
03-23-2018 06:39 PM
Flytech99 Offline
1st Service Completed

Utah
(03-18-2018 10:22 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Flytech, I have a recollection that K&N says you must not tighten the filter with the nut; it is there for removal only.

I no longer use the K&N filter... but you bring up an interesting point, Cormanus.

If the nut isn't supposed to be used to torque the filter on (presumably to avoid risk of damaging the filter due to torquing/over-torquing ), then that renders anything other than a strap wrench useless for tightening it. I would imagine a regular cap style wrench wouldn't fit??? If indeed that's the case, it completely negates the convenience of the nut and really makes me question the structural integrity of the filter in the first place. Hmm....
03-23-2018 07:07 PM
jtopiso Offline
Running Like a Top

Spain
(03-23-2018 07:07 PM)Flytech99 Wrote:  
(03-18-2018 10:22 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Flytech, I have a recollection that K&N says you must not tighten the filter with the nut; it is there for removal only.

I no longer use the K&N filter... but you bring up an interesting point, Cormanus.

If the nut isn't supposed to be used to torque the filter on (presumably to avoid risk of damaging the filter due to torquing/over-torquing ), then that renders anything other than a strap wrench useless for tightening it. I would imagine a regular cap style wrench wouldn't fit??? If indeed that's the case, it completely negates the convenience of the nut and really makes me question the structural integrity of the filter in the first place. Hmm....

Hand tight is enough. The seal comes from the o-ring, not from the thread, so it doesn't need much torque.

The friction will keep it in place, so it won't come loose easily.
03-23-2018 10:12 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
From the Iron Butt Association Newsletter:

“As many in the long-distance community have heard, some K&N oil filters have been have been leaking oil and recently, some race tracks have issued notices that riders would be responsible for any track damage caused by running a K&N oil filter (effectively banning them as no one could afford those costs).

K&N has finally issued a SAFETY RECALL and identified which filters are subject to the defect. Here are clips from the recall letter sent to dealers:

K&N has discovered that certain KN-204/204C oil filters manufactured between March 1 and September 30, 2016, can leak oil at the area where a nut (intended for use to remove the oil filter during routine oil changes) is welded to the end of the filter. If there is such a leak, oil could come into contact with the rear tire or rear brake of the motorcycle on which the filter is installed. If this were to occur, it could lead to a loss of control or a crash. Therefore, K&N is conducting a recall under which it is offering to replace the covered oil filters at no charge, including the cost of return shipping.

A copy of the letter sent out to dealers with many more details and how to identify a recall filter is located at:

http://www.ironbutt.org/KandN/RCMN-17E044-1798.pdf

if you use K&N filters you should invest the time to make sure you are not using one of this filters or have one in your personal stock to use.

Mike “

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
06-20-2018 05:17 AM
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
Never have and never will use themExclamation
....where a nut (intended for use to remove the oil filter during routine oil changes) is welded to the end of the filter = ROFL..

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 114K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
06-20-2018 02:26 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Actually, peterbaron, it isn't funny at all when there's a fault and there's oil trickling out of the filter when you're on the bike. A couple of our members had very lucky escapes from something that could easily have been tragic.

I guess the problem here is that, one would reasonably assume that doing anything to an oil filter, which operates under some pressure, is likely to increase the risk of failure and therefore not a good idea. However, in K&N's defence, the company has been making oil filters for years and, so far as I know, has not had significant problems. People could be forgiven for trusting them. Personally, I've used them only twice when put on by other people. I removed the second the minute I got it home.
06-20-2018 08:33 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Whether it's K&N, Fram, Uni, Brand X, whatever, I don't understand the rationale of intentionally seeking out and using a non-factory filter. Is it due to price? Marketing hype? Availability? To me, the second-guessing of using a non-OE filter seems to be completely unnecessary.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2018 09:16 PM by LongRanger.)
06-20-2018 09:07 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
If there were a huge price differential and some evidence that the OEM product was no better, I think I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'm generally for OEM things.
06-20-2018 09:25 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
excuse my while i smash my gopro and nev . . .misterprofessionality — 11:48 AM
I never see a rider on a CB1100 bei . . .Gone in 60 — 11:44 AM
How the system helmet saved my pretty ...ss ...
Charlie, if you're into making plant pot . . .Gone in 60 — 11:43 AM
How the system helmet saved my pretty ...ss ...
I have a HJC modular and loved it. It wa . . .Charlie Bravo — 11:33 AM
I never see a rider on a CB1100 being . . .misterprofessionality — 11:26 AM
Broken indicator lens
Powerdubs, I like your thinking!Dave — 10:01 AM
Brake Pads... Simplified
Good to know my brake pad wear is normal . . .Yata-Garasu — 09:40 AM
Yeah... kinda agree with TooSlo. A year . . .Gone in 60 — 09:31 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531