Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Cheese Weasels Do Big Bend, Texas
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
RE: The Cheese Weasels Do Big Bend, Texas
(04-01-2018 06:38 PM)Stichill Wrote:  Note the oil cooler mounted low right behind the front tire.

Yikes! No wonder you were worried about riding a dirt/gravel road. It would be hard to find a worse place to mount that oil cooler. Even on paved roads it would see occasional pebbles thrown off the tire.

Loving the ride report!

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
04-01-2018 07:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aussieflyer Offline
Running Like a Top

Melbourne Australia
No doubt there's more reports to come so I am chiming early ... loving the write up Mr Stichill, the pictures are amazing, the bikes look awesome, makes me want to write a bucket list and put your tour at the top.

BTW a novelty for us Aussies is seeing Harley riders wearing something other than black. In fact cruising past the local cafe on a Road King wearing hi-vis jackets and full face helmets might even stir up the Harley riding marketing executives to put down their lattes and throw a Sons of Anarchy tee shirt at you.

Looking forward to your next installment.
Safe travels.
04-01-2018 07:32 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
Very cool ride. I must ride this area some day. From the looks, I might enjoy it more if I ride the KLR650.
04-01-2018 07:56 PM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
(04-01-2018 07:24 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  It would be hard to find a worse place to mount that oil cooler. Even on paved roads it would see occasional pebbles thrown off the tire. Loving the ride report!

Absolutely. I have to think there are aftermarket guards for it, and thanks!

(04-01-2018 07:32 PM)Aussieflyer Wrote:  No doubt there's more reports to come so I am chiming early ... loving the write up Mr Stichill, the pictures are amazing, the bikes look awesome, makes me want to write a bucket list and put your tour at the top.

BTW a novelty for us Aussies is seeing Harley riders wearing something other than black. In fact cruising past the local cafe on a Road King wearing hi-vis jackets and full face helmets might even stir up the Harley riding marketing executives to put down their lattes and throw a Sons of Anarchy tee shirt at you. Looking forward to your next installment. Safe travels.

Glad you're enjoying the report! Yes, we were riding Harleys but we are not Harley riders...we just rented what was available! Definitely looked like fish out of water, lol.

You might enjoy these prior rides if you haven't already seen them (reported on another forum):
(04-01-2018 07:56 PM)pdedse Wrote:  Very cool ride. I must ride this area some day. From the looks, I might enjoy it more if I ride the KLR650.

Thank you. I agree, you'd be able to see a lot more of the park on a KLR650. There are many miles more unpaved than paved roads from what we could tell.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2018 03:13 AM by Stichill.)
04-02-2018 03:07 AM
silverbub Offline
1st Service Completed

midusa
Must extend the courtesy to THANK YOU! For this wonderfully timely visual/prose ride report... as I cleaned the "April Fool's" three inches of snow storm off my porch steps this morning in west-central Illinois and waiting out for the first ride of season... your Big Bend adventure report pumps renewed anticipation for getting started on the rides of 2018!...Great prose/pics!
04-02-2018 02:34 PM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
(04-02-2018 02:34 PM)silverbub Wrote:  Must extend the courtesy to THANK YOU! For this wonderfully timely visual/prose ride report... as I cleaned the "April Fool's" three inches of snow storm off my porch steps this morning in west-central Illinois and waiting out for the first ride of season... your Big Bend adventure report pumps renewed anticipation for getting started on the rides of 2018!...Great prose/pics!

You bet! We all need inspiration as this endless winter keeps dragging on! I live near ferret and it was a shock coming back to reality! I'm looking forward to warmer, sunnier weather too!

Day 4 - Monday 26 March 2018 - Texas 170 Big Bend State Park

We left Big Bend Motel & RV Park and headed straight west onto TX 170. 170 winds through the town of Terlingua and then passed through the town of Lajitas right on the border of Big Bend State Park. During my search for lodging in the area, I completely missed Lajitas Resort / Badlands Hotel. It looks pretty nice if you're interested in high-end accommodations.

As we exited Lajitas, we entered the park and were quickly entertained by marvelous landscape views and a challenging road to ride. My advice would be to take it easy on this highway, enjoy the scenery but pay close attention to the road. It has a lot of blind hills and curves, and there are areas where gigantic boulders and rocks could fall onto the road in front of you.

I don't have a lot of narration to offer here...the photos speak to the scenes we enjoyed.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2018 05:14 PM by Stichill.)
04-02-2018 04:27 PM
Inhouse Bob Offline
Road Warrior

NoVA
Lovely! The weather seems to have treated y'all well.
04-02-2018 06:35 PM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Yes, we were fortunate to have clear skies and comfortable temperatures during the best parts of the trip.

04-02-2018 07:03 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Really impressed with the beauty of Texas that you've shown us. Going to have to add that trip to my list of places to go.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-02-2018 07:19 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Thanks Stichell for this ride report. Beautiful photos and story telling.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
04-03-2018 04:15 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM