Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CB1100 Sidecar Experiment
Roper Offline
Running Like a Top

UT
RE: CB1100 Sidecar Experiment
I've thought about adding a sidecar. I'm wondering about the need to change rake/trail, probably with a different triple tree. How has the stock setup worked for you so far?
03-30-2018 08:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbarkdoll Offline
Running Like a Top

Arkansas
Yesss!! This thread rules!! Rudi looks like a very very good boy. Can't wait to see more his sidecar adventures.

Am I mistaken, or is there a brace connected to your front fork? Wondering if this standard and how that affects steering.
03-30-2018 09:32 PM
tuareg Offline
1st Service Completed

Germany
Well that's a brilliant idea... I've been eyeing Urals myself for some time and was put off by the lack of space in the garage for another bike w/ sidecar. Looking forward to your ride reports, deltamark.

By the way, AFAIK Ural sidecars usually have drum brakes(and sometimes a drive shaft) on the hub; did you connect the brake to the one of the brake circuits of the CB?

'13 Honda CB1100
'08 Honda CB1300
'06 Honda CBF1000
'96 Yamaha Diversion 900
'89 Honda Hawk GT(red)
03-31-2018 01:18 AM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
Do you plan on attending the rally in KY? I (and many others) would love to see this rig in person.

There certainly is a bit of a learning curve when riding a sidecar rig. Exiting my town is a steep hill with a fairly sharp turn at the bottom, my first ride I went down the hill with far too much speed. It was all I could do to keep from going in the ditch on the opposite ride of the road, if there had been any traffic coming I would have been screwed.

Stupid physics.
03-31-2018 02:47 AM
jimgl3 Offline
High Mileage

Covington, Ga
way cool!
03-31-2018 04:46 AM
deltamark Offline
1st Service Completed

USA - Ohio
(03-30-2018 08:24 PM)Roper Wrote:  I've thought about adding a sidecar. I'm wondering about the need to change rake/trail, probably with a different triple tree. How has the stock setup worked for you so far?

I've not yet had any modifications done to the rake / trail. Plan to put some miles on and get a feel for the rig before considering those types of modifications. So far, I've been very satisfied with the the stock setup, but I haven't ridden it a lot yet.

(03-30-2018 09:32 PM)dbarkdoll Wrote:  Am I mistaken, or is there a brace connected to your front fork? Wondering if this standard and how that affects steering.

Yes, that is a VW steering damper attached to the front fork. It is supposed to reduce some wobble that naturally occurs at certain speeds. I may remove it as I become more comfortable driving the rig.

(03-31-2018 01:18 AM)tuareg Wrote:  By the way, AFAIK Ural sidecars usually have drum brakes(and sometimes a drive shaft) on the hub; did you connect the brake to the one of the brake circuits of the CB?
I did not have the sidecar drum break connected to the CB. Considered doing it, but it seems that quite a bit of fabrication would be necessary and at least for now, it doesn't seem like I'm going to need it. (Famous last words! : )

(03-31-2018 02:47 AM)W/R Wrote:  Do you plan on attending the rally in KY? I (and many others) would love to see this rig in person.

There certainly is a bit of a learning curve when riding a sidecar rig. Exiting my town is a steep hill with a fairly sharp turn at the bottom, my first ride I went down the hill with far too much speed. It was all I could do to keep from going in the ditch on the opposite ride of the road, if there had been any traffic coming I would have been screwed.

Stupid physics.

I would like to attend the KY rally, but not sure yet. Already have two other sidecar road trips planned for June; the United Sidecar Association National Rally in Indiana and the ROMP Music Festival in KY. I'll definitely try to squeeze it in, though.

"steep hill with a fairly sharp turn at the bottom ..." Ugh! I haven't had to navigate a situation like that yet, but have already had a couple of "Oh sh*t" moments. Working on eliminating those. : )

2014 CB1100 Standard attached to Rudi's Sidecar
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018 06:38 AM by deltamark.)
03-31-2018 06:31 AM
LikeAfox Offline
1st Service Completed

Philadelphia, PA
Wanna pet that dog real bad Big Grin

I followed a thread on another message board, where user fabricated his own sidecar frame. But his setup allowed for the sidecar to lean. Yours looks rigid? Does it work like an offset trike?
04-01-2018 08:49 PM
deltamark Offline
1st Service Completed

USA - Ohio
(04-01-2018 08:49 PM)LikeAfox Wrote:  Wanna pet that dog real bad Big Grin

I followed a thread on another message board, where user fabricated his own sidecar frame. But his setup allowed for the sidecar to lean. Yours looks rigid? Does it work like an offset trike?

LOL! Rudi is a very friendly dog and is very cool with most everyone he meets. I'm sure he'd happily accept petting!

I've heard of the leaner sidecar rigs, but don't really know much about them. Mine isn't one of those. Also not sure exactly how an offset trike functions or handles, but I'd guess that a sidecar rig is quite different.

I went for a ride this past Saturday and covered about 110 miles. I connected a newly purchased controller for my heated jacket before taking off. It was about 39° when I left my house and I did encounter some rain. Put on the heaviest riding gloves I have.

This is my first naked bike and my torso was warm enough from the heated jacket, but I certainly noticed the wind on my chest and helmet and after a while, a bit of a chill on my hands. I know that heated grips are an option for the CB, but I might prefer a pair of heated gloves instead. I’ve also been monitoring the windshield threads on this forum and even though I like the naked look, might add some type of windscreen at some point. I think it would be helpful on trips and in cooler conditions like this.

I live in Northwest Ohio where most of the roads are straight and flat, but there is one very nice curvy road not too far from me … Ohio Route 110 then Route 65 along the Maumee River. As with many roads that snake along rivers, its a very nice ride. The curves gave me a good chance to really feel how the rig handled.

I also realized that the camber of the road affects how the rig handles and on this road, I definitely needed to maintain a firmer grip on the handlebars at all times. It also required more physical effort to ride on a road like this. I felt it in my arms the next day. I guess this is why many sidecarists modify their steering with leading link front ends. Still, I’m OK with it right now. I like the fact that I’ll actually get some arm conditioning exercise while riding this rig! : )

The weather here isn’t supposed to get much better this week and next, but that’s OK. I’ll use the cold weather to practice more before I start taking Rudi on some rides.

2014 CB1100 Standard attached to Rudi's Sidecar
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2018 11:38 AM by deltamark.)
04-02-2018 11:29 AM
LikeAfox Offline
1st Service Completed

Philadelphia, PA
Before you do the heated grips, check these out https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962...Hand-Mitts
04-04-2018 12:07 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Or maybe these: https://www.hippohands.com/pages/honda

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
04-04-2018 12:55 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
[quote='Ollie' pid='347928' dateline='17 . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM