Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CB1100 Sidecar Experiment
tinboatcapt Offline
1st Service Completed

Minnesota, USA
RE: CB1100 Sidecar Experiment
I traded my Old Wing Sidecar rig away last summer and bought my '14 Std. I may, in the future ad a hack to the CB. But, for now, I am enjoying it too much as it is.

Sidecars are cool. There is a wealth of information on sidecars, riding, and technical answers on Sidecar.com Stop inn and give them a visit, if you haven't already.
Jim

2014 CB1100 Std
2000 ST1100
1981 CB650C
04-04-2018 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
Glad you did it Mark!
Did Bob add a chain Oiler? If so, which one. You’re right, he does good work. Play with air pressure to fine tune handling.
I don’t have a sidecar brake on my Triumph rig and don’t miss it, with the dual front brakes on the CB you should be good. Sounds like you have a LOT of ballast in the tub, be a good idea to reduce it and practice a bunch and learn how much you actually need. In the Ural I just had the usual stuff in the trunk, Triumph I’m running about 30# without dogs or monkey. With my dogs I use a regular harness and tie off (loosely) to two points so they can move freely and still stay “restrained”. With the Ural I had a sidecar door that gave them the idea they were supposed to stay in the car, you can get them over at Soviet Steeds. They all take to the sidecar at their own pace, luckily mine seem to enjoy it.
That should be a fun rig. Let me know if you ever get close to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2018 02:37 PM by 4 Paws.)
04-04-2018 02:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
deltamark Offline
1st Service Completed

USA - Ohio
(04-04-2018 12:07 PM)LikeAfox Wrote:  Before you do the heated grips, check these out https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962...Hand-Mitts
Out of stock at the time of this posting. Don't know if they would fit the CB with the stock mirrors.

(04-04-2018 12:55 PM)popgun Wrote:  Or maybe these: https://www.hippohands.com/pages/honda
I actually took a pair of Hippo Hands (from another of my bikes) on my ride Saturday, but they didn't fit well because of the stock mirrors. I might be able to cut holes in them to make them fit. Not sure I want to do that yet.

(04-04-2018 01:46 PM)tinboatcapt Wrote:  I traded my Old Wing Sidecar rig away last summer and bought my '14 Std. I may, in the future ad a hack to the CB. But, for now, I am enjoying it too much as it is.

Sidecars are cool. There is a wealth of information on sidecars, riding, and technical answers on Sidecar.com Stop inn and give them a visit, if you haven't already.
Jim
Did create an account on sidecar.com and joined the USCA.

(04-04-2018 02:35 PM)4 Paws Wrote:  Glad you did it Mark!
Did Bob add a chain Oiler? If so, which one. You’re right, he does good work. Play with air pressure to fine tune handling.
I don’t have a sidecar brake on my Triumph rig and don’t miss it, with the dual front brakes on the CB you should be good. Sounds like you have a LOT of ballast in the tub, be a good idea to reduce it and practice a bunch and learn how much you actually need. In the Ural I just had the usual stuff in the trunk, Triumph I’m running about 30# without dogs or monkey. With my dogs I use a regular harness and tie off (loosely) to two points so they can move freely and still stay “restrained”. With the Ural I had a sidecar door that gave them the idea they were supposed to stay in the car, you can get them over at Soviet Steeds. They all take to the sidecar at their own pace, luckily mine seem to enjoy it.
That should be a fun rig. Let me know if you ever get close to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Bob did recommend that I consider adding a Scottoiler chain lubricator. Its on the list. : )
I will tinker with the tire pressures and see what happens. After all, I have that high-tech Ural manual air pump in my trunk. Tongue
Thanks for the advice on the ballast. I'll definitely remove some.
I'll also look up the sidecar door on Soviet Steeds.
Love the Blue Ridge! Hope to make it back there soon.

2014 CB1100 Standard attached to Rudi's Sidecar
04-04-2018 08:47 PM
ecka00 Offline
1st Service Completed

pburg, ohio
dude, did i see u in perrysburg a few weeks ago? i was in a jeep on 3rd street and saw what looked like a cb1100 coming over the tracks with a sidecar however, i immediately thought no way--must have been a triumph.

[i]"When you're riding, you're living; everything else is just waiting."[/i] [size=x-small]Steve McQueen[/size]
2014 CB1100 STD (Bucephalus)
2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
1981 Honda CX500
2007 Vespa GT200
04-15-2018 08:24 AM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
(04-15-2018 08:24 AM)ecka00 Wrote:  dude, did i see u in perrysburg a few weeks ago? i was in a jeep on 3rd street and saw what looked like a cb1100 coming over the tracks with a sidecar however, i immediately thought no way--must have been a triumph.

That is a very good name you have given your steed...Worship
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2018 12:19 PM by Banned.)
04-15-2018 12:19 PM
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
Strangest thing . . . this weekend I was talking with Bob Wark in Mount Morris, PA and he was looking at my 2017 EX, saying that he set up a sidecar rig on a CB1100 and that he really liked the way that bike pulled a chair.

Had to be yours! Thumbs Up

1982 BMW R100T, 1994 BMW K75RT, 1995 BMW K75/3, 2005 Harley-Davidson Sportster Roadster, 2015 BMW R1200RT, 2017 Harley-Davidson Road King, 2017 Honda CB1100 EX, 2020 Ural Gear Up, 2022 Triumph T120 "Gold Line"
04-15-2018 02:10 PM
peterbaron Online
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
(03-30-2018 08:01 PM)deltamark Wrote:  
(03-30-2018 02:55 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Dog looks well trained

(03-30-2018 03:12 PM)peterbaron Wrote:  Well, would like to see Rudi's helmet and riding gearTongue

Hey Peterbaron, I'm still in the process of acquiring gear for Rudi, but here's his raincoat and eye protection.

[/quote
I am currently riding with two 40-lb. bags of water softener salt in the sidecar. When Rudi rides, I'll of course remove the salt. He weighs about 94 lbs.
[/quote]

Thumbs Up watch out, Rudi may train you ROFL
Beer

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
04-16-2018 01:13 PM
deltamark Offline
1st Service Completed

USA - Ohio
(04-15-2018 08:24 AM)ecka00 Wrote:  dude, did i see u in perrysburg a few weeks ago? i was in a jeep on 3rd street and saw what looked like a cb1100 coming over the tracks with a sidecar however, i immediately thought no way--must have been a triumph.
Ha! Yes, very likely that was me. I work in that area and often go through there to ride along the river. Small world. : )

(04-15-2018 02:10 PM)cookiemech Wrote:  Strangest thing . . . this weekend I was talking with Bob Wark in Mount Morris, PA and he was looking at my 2017 EX, saying that he set up a sidecar rig on a CB1100 and that he really liked the way that bike pulled a chair.

Had to be yours! Thumbs Up

Wow, yes, again ... small, small world! It must have been my CB Bob was talking about. I began discussing it with him last November and he told me he had not installed a sidecar on a CB before, but was willing to do the job. Sure glad he did!

04-20-2018 12:58 PM
deltamark Offline
1st Service Completed

USA - Ohio
First Rudi Ride and Some Mods
Finally got some tolerable weather, so I took the opportunity to do some things to the rig and get Rudi out on his first test ride.

I added a cargo rack to the rear of the sidecar.

I then removed the sidecar seat botton and took off the windshield to create more space for Rudi. I cut a foam pad to put down on the floor of the tub to make it more comfortable for him.

After a lot of adjusting and fitting attempts coaxed with pup-peronis, I got Rudi's protective eyewear to fit him decently.

I'm lucky he's such a willing participant. Many dogs might not take to wearing these things so quickly, let alone put up with all of my clumsy attempts at getting them to fit him.

I also had to spend some time adjusting Rudi's harness for fit. I will probably replace this harness with a heavier duty brand, as this one doesn't seem all that robust. I then experimented with a few attachment points on the rig for his lead. I settled on the left sidecar frame for now. I wanted to give him enough room to move around a bit, but not exit the sidecar on the right side. There seems to be a many approaches in trying to secure a dog in a sidecar and it may be a while before I find something I'm more comfortable with.

I live out in a rural area and so was able to take it pretty slow on Rudi's first test ride. Stayed mostly between 30 - 40 mph because I wasn't sure what he might do. I even rode with the emergency flashers on to try and gain a little more visibility. Also added what is supposed to be a high-viz sticker on the back of the tub.

Rudi seemed content to stay in the sidecar while we were riding. It was pretty cool to see him looking around at everything while we explored some local country roads. He seemed to be enjoying it. A couple of times, he got a little squirmy, so I slowed down just in case. Pulled over at one point to take a picture.

It was funny to see people's reactions. In the limited number of people we encountered, most smiled, waved, made comments and gave a thumbs up sign. Hoping to do some more road testing tomorrow.

04-21-2018 08:44 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Dogs are so patient with us humans sometimes.

Your bike and the rig look great, deltamark, and Rudi looks a fine fella.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2018 01:50 AM by Cormanus.)
04-22-2018 01:50 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I am grateful for a cage that keeps me w . . .GoldOxide — 06:30 PM
:rofl:The ferret — 06:04 PM