Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Selling Items vs Items Being Sold, etc.
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Selling Items vs Items Being Sold, etc.
I'm posting this as a bit of a refresher on forum etiquette.

If you as an individual have motorcycling related items for sale please note that the appropriate place for posting such things is in the Classifieds section. If you don't yet qualify to create new threads in that section (you must have been a forum member for at least two weeks and must have made at least 25 previous posts here on the forum) then you'll simply need to wait until you do qualify.

In my opinion the main reason for posting an item for sale on a forum such as this one is about reaching a very specific audience of informed individuals (other forum members) as opposed to trying to draw top dollar for the item amongst a broader audience. I'm pointing this out as "forum friendly pricing" is common on many other forums I visit and sellers should probably be aware of this as many buyers no doubt will be. While I have yet to do so here, I have bought and sold items on other forums and am very familiar with such practices. I rarely look in the Classifieds section of this forum but I trust that you all are happy with the way this has been working out thus far based on the feedback I've received.

On the other hand, if you are wanting to point out items that you've discovered that are for sale elsewhere that would benefit multiple other people browsing the forum then you can post about it in any number of sub-forums. A big sale on helmets for example could go in the Riding Gear section, or a great deal on windscreens could be noted in the Accessories/Modifications section and so on. Ideally this would be a business that a member has personally dealt with before they go pointing it out to others. By the way, this is not an invitation for business owners to post up threads here as advertisements. There are plenty of other avenues for that. What I'm talking about in this case is a member who is wanting to help out other members or readers of the forum by pointing out a good deal or perhaps a surprising find of items thought to no longer exist, etc.. In such cases the member posting about such items should stand to gain nothing more than simply helping out other enthusiasts. Just try to use your best judgement. Sometimes mistakes will occur and that's where myself or the moderators step in.

This announcement is truly is meant as a friendly reminder. No fingers are being pointed at anyone. Many of us discussed such things in the very early days of the forum, but a lot of time has passed since then. This is still a small forum relatively speaking and we all are doing the best we can. That goes for myself and the moderators as well as the members. If you're really not sure about how the above might apply to your situation then just PM one of the moderators or myself and we'll get things sorted out. Thanks for reading.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
06-21-2018 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM