Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
CB1100 or Harley?
ARMike Offline
Break-In Period

Arkansas
CB1100 or Harley?
I know...crazy comparison! I just joined this thread because have been lurking and am a long time Honda rider. In my young days I rode a CL down every back road I could find. Since then I've had several Honda dirt bikes. Now am in my early 50's and looking for a bike for the street. I did have a Bonneville because I like the old school look. Have ridden about every Harley but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I also like the BMW GS as I like to ride back and mountain roads and just explore. My wife doesn't ride with me so will be 1 up. I anxiously waited for the CB and looked at it soon it came out and like it. Then I just kept looking at HD's until the past weekend and I went back to the Honda dealer again. I really like the CB so started reading all the post. I also stated checking at the windscreens as this was a concern but looks like there are options. I like naked most of the time but some wind protection would be nice at times. Am planning on taking one out this weekend for a demo ride. Not sure what I am asking for in the post unless you can give me some input on if any of you ride both and your impression of the CB versus an HD. Am looking at the softails. Like I said though only back and mountain roads and very little highway or long trips. Have lots of beautiful mountain roads here in Arkansas to ride without ever getting on the highway.

Thanks for letting me just talk on my first post. Dang I love this bike!!
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013 06:39 PM by ARMike.)
10-13-2013 05:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tommy's 11 Offline
Break-In Period

Jacksonville Arkansas
RE: CB1100 or Harley?
I'm a long time Honda fan and not ridden for many years due to children and work etc. Owned several Hondas and some Yamaha and Suzuki trail bikes early on. Had a highly modified Suzuki bandit given to me a couple years back and rode it till 3 weeks ago . Back to your comparison I had chance to break in a Road King for one of my brother in laws and enjoyed it . But just never felt like it would do me the way I ride I am also in Arkansas and like you do shorter rides and not a lot of freeway. Other brother in law bought a new V rod liked this more than Road King performance and handling much more to my liking, ride it about 200 miles and some short trips . Still something missing . Then came the Bandit oh my. Highly modified in previous life for drag racing but converted back to street. Noticed as I gotten older this thing was probably gonna get me in trouble . Had heard about 1100 couple years ago never thought they would get it to Us. Bought mine 3 weeks ago , all I can tell you is its my old 750 super sport on steroids. Go ride one if you like the looks wait till you ride it . This will be my last bike .
10-13-2013 07:00 PM
ARMike Offline
Break-In Period

Arkansas
Tommy's 11...thanks for the reply. Agree, every time I ride a Harley it just doesn't do anything for me, like I gotta have this! I was looking forward to the new Indian (again old school) and rode it at Bikes Blues & Barbecue and again did nothing for me. Will post again after me demo ride.

Thanks again!
10-13-2013 07:07 PM
GaryRudolph Offline
Break-In Period

Orinda, CA
Not as strange of a comparison as you think. I was deadset on getting a Fatboy, until I came across the CB. For me it was:

CB Over Fatboy
* Cheaper
* Better Handling
* Better Suspension
* Better Brakes

Fatboy Over CB
* Feels badass
* Really low seat
* Resale
* That sound
* Supporting a US company

I went with the CB as I went more for what I think than the masses think. Very happy as I like this bike more and more every day. Getting a more aggressive exhaust made me feel less of a Nanny on it.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013 07:33 PM by GaryRudolph.)
10-13-2013 07:32 PM
ARMike Offline
Break-In Period

Arkansas
Yeah...I love the history of a harley and like supporting American also. But don't care about the badass thing, don't like the low seat, resale is a good point but less these days, sound is cool. Just want something to hop on and ride and not spend all my time polishing.
10-13-2013 07:42 PM
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA
Armike... I have a Superglide that's set up like a Roadking with the windscreen, saddlebags, and crash bars/footpegs... as well as the CB. I've owned the HD since '04 and the CB since June. For around town, riding in the mountains, and just general local riding, you can't beat the CB. I have the Harley set up for long day and overnight trips. With the belt drive and the overall weight of the bike, I think it's better suited for that kind of riding. I don't keep the bikes in the same place, so I can't tell you which one I'd choose in the garage on a given day. For what you're talking about, I'd save the money and buy the Honda... It's a great ride!

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
10-13-2013 07:48 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Mike, best of luck with your decision and welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading about your test ride on the CB1100.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
10-13-2013 08:00 PM
dBuster Offline
Running Like a Top

La Crosse, WI
Hardleys aren't 100% American anymore... parts are made in Mexico and I believe some of the electronics are not from this country but are assembled here.

Personally I would never own a hardley-a-davidson. I just can put spending that amount of money to not really enjoy the ride whereas I totally enjoy the CB experience.

In addition those that own a hardley are those that are living off of the government, okay maybe not all but there are many who get government Assistance hardley owners.

Sorry but I just can't see those bikes being worthy. I can get a cb and have enough money left over to farkle and then some taking care of my family, etc without owing a left nut for a so called status symbol.

Knock me off the soap box please...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4

10-13-2013 09:00 PM
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
If I were faced with such a decision I would get the bike that I wanted and ignore any self righteous lecturing from some know-nothing know-it-all on some forum.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
10-13-2013 09:26 PM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
(10-13-2013 05:58 PM)ARMike Wrote:  ... your impression of the CB versus an HD. Am looking at the softails. Like I said though only back and mountain roads and very little highway or long trips. Have lots of beautiful mountain roads here in Arkansas to ride without ever getting on the highway.

Thanks for letting me just talk on my first post. Dang I love this bike!!

Having spent a year working in at the HD Dealership here in S FL, I've ridden every model HD makes; some of them extensively.

If you're going to get an HD, stay away from the Softails. HD scrapped the rear suspension to get the "hardtail" look, and Softails handle like crap and pound your back as a result. If you want to make the most of those mountain roads on an HD, get a touring frame bike (FL) or a Dyna series (FX).

Of course the RIGHT answer is get the CB. It has all the heritage, history, and style of any HD, but adds outstanding handling, braking, and performance. The CB will kick any stock HD to the curb (possibly barring the V-Rods, which aren't "real" HDs anyway). There's plenty of accessories for it now, including windscreens and luggage.

Of course, every new HD includes a social life if you want it. As soon as you buy an HD there's a thousand events available to you.

Go hagofuku yourself.
10-14-2013 04:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM
I don't know about that... they're easy . . .Gone in 60 — 03:50 PM
Haha ferret....it's funny how some thing . . .misterprofessionality — 03:41 PM
Todays weather