Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Break in?
INTP Offline
1st Service Completed

Potomac Falls VA
Break in?
Is there published break-in recommendations for the CB11? I just came back from a 100 mile afternoon and was curious what everyone else was experiencing.

I have 150 miles on mine, and it seems to chatter more after it is ridden briskly. I think it is tuned a little too lean. Does anyone know if I can put a power commander on the bike?

04-27-2013 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thumper Offline
Running Like a Top

Bakersfield, CA.
RE: Break in?
No crazy break-in. The manual says avoid full-throttle starts, and ride conservatively for the first 300 miles.

Yeah, mine chatters a little too after a brisk run.

***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander***
[size=x-small][color=#000000]The Stable--[/color][color=#0000CD]TEx[/color],[color=#FF0000]CB11A[/color],[color=#32CD32]ZX6R[/color][/size]
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 05:10 PM by thumper.)
04-27-2013 04:25 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
If by chatter you mean ignition knock, or a slight valve clattering under acceleration, I hear that as well if I lean to left or right while accelerating out of a turn, but not if I am sitting directly over the tank. It's very faint. I wondered if a higher octane of gas would cure it, but Im not sure exactly what it is, but then again, not really worried about it.
04-27-2013 04:47 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
Hey! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one hearing that. At first I thought it was valves chattering, but it only does it under brisk accelleration. Then I thought it was knocking (i.e. detonation). That would be unlikely since it seemed to happen even when the engine was cold. I bumped the octane up on the next two tanks and there was zero difference. I doubt that the sound is knocking.

Since I only hear it when I give it a lot of throttle, I'm starting to think that it might be related to the EFI system. Maybe the fuel pump ramping up? I noticed that you can make a similar sound (one click at a time) when the engine is idling. Throttle up and back and you'll hear the same click sound on the way up and one on the way down.

I'm going to keep looking, but for now I'm thinking that its normal.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
04-27-2013 07:16 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I also wondered if it might be magnified due to lightweight break in oil and wondered if it would be less noticeable after the first service, but I'm not quite to 600 miles yet.
04-27-2013 07:26 PM
Obliviontoad Offline
1st Service Completed

New York
Got back from a 120 trip today. Was taking it easy the whole way, but a short highway hop went really well. I've yet to hear the sounds you are describing, and I'm on tank 2 of 89 octane with 10% ethanol.

Next time, I'm headed up north to get me some gasoline from the station that sells ethanol free. See how that goes.

Edited for failure to proofread.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 11:58 AM by Obliviontoad.)
04-27-2013 07:43 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
I did the first oil change last weekend. No difference. Try blipping the throttle slowly at idle and see if that doesn't sound like the same sort of click.

Edit : Obliviontoad - You can hear the sound best if you give it a lot a gas coming onto second. Any faster and it's covered by wind noise. It's kind of a rythmic ticking sound.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 08:05 PM by Flynrider.)
04-27-2013 07:57 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(04-27-2013 07:43 PM)Obliviontoad Wrote:  Got back from a 120 trip today. Was taking it easy the whole way, but a short highway hop went really well. I've yet to hear the sounds you are describing, and I'm on tank 2 of 89 octane with 19% ethanol.

Next time, I'm headed up north to get me some gasoline from the station that sells ethanol free. See how that goes.

19% ethanol? Holy crap I thought the limit was 10% and they were talking about upping it to 15% Huh

Like I said, while riding I cant hear it unless I'm leaned over to left or right,accelerating as it pulls me thru a turn. I imagined it was either "pinging" aka ignition knock, or hearing the cam lobes coming around and smacking the top of the shim. I on't think its any kind of issue with the bikes, just a characteristic.
04-28-2013 04:00 AM
Gypped Offline
1st Service Completed

(04-28-2013 04:00 AM)The ferret Wrote:  
(04-27-2013 07:43 PM)Obliviontoad Wrote:  Got back from a 120 trip today. Was taking it easy the whole way, but a short highway hop went really well. I've yet to hear the sounds you are describing, and I'm on tank 2 of 89 octane with 19% ethanol.

19% ethanol? Holy crap I thought the limit was 10% and they were talking about upping it to 15% Huh

Like I said, while riding I cant hear it unless I'm leaned over to left or right,accelerating as it pulls me thru a turn. I imagined it was either "pinging" aka ignition knock, or hearing the cam lobes coming around and smacking the top of the shim. I on't think its any kind of issue with the bikes, just a characteristic.

The limit is 10%, the concern about the 15% is that it will wreck smaller engines that aren't designed to deal with it. The AMA has been pushing for, among other things, separate pumps so that there's not any leftover 15% in the line when you go to put gas in your motorcycle.
04-28-2013 11:22 AM
Obliviontoad Offline
1st Service Completed

New York
Ugh. Typo. So sorry. Was supposed to be 10%. And here I thought I was doing so well in my old age.
04-28-2013 11:56 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 . . .misterprofessionality — 04:31 AM
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM