Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Break in?
cb400four Offline
1st Service Completed

Manhattan, New York City
RE: Break in?
(04-27-2013 07:57 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  I did the first oil change last weekend. No difference. Try blipping the throttle slowly at idle and see if that doesn't sound like the same sort of click.

Edit : Obliviontoad - You can hear the sound best if you give it a lot a gas coming onto second. Any faster and it's covered by wind noise. It's kind of a rythmic ticking sound.

I hear the very same knocking or chatter sound when giving it a lot of throttle in second as well; the knocking sound in these situations are always accompanied by a wide grin under my full-face though. Rolleyes
05-18-2013 08:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
12cb96vfr Offline
1st Service Completed

Charlotte, nc
I'm going a little more aggressive in my break in: varying RPM & very little interstate. Only a handful of pulls to like 7500 rpm but I've made quite a few spirited sprints to 6k... not full throttle but close. Lots of feeling the torque pulling out of the corners, I love this motor from 4-6k rpm!

I sprung for a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty, so I figure I have some time on my side. It'll have about 60k miles at the 5yr point based on my riding, so I'm gonna try this method and if it blows up ill just get a new one lol.
07-19-2013 08:45 PM
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
(07-19-2013 08:45 PM)12cb96vfr Wrote:  I'm going a little more aggressive in my break in: varying RPM & very little interstate. Only a handful of pulls to like 7500 rpm but I've made quite a few spirited sprints to 6k... not full throttle but close. Lots of feeling the torque pulling out of the corners, I love this motor from 4-6k rpm!

I sprung for a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty, so I figure I have some time on my side. It'll have about 60k miles at the 5yr point based on my riding, so I'm gonna try this method and if it blows up ill just get a new one lol.

looks like both of our engines are going to blow up... Unless they don't.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
07-19-2013 09:00 PM
mininsx Offline
Running Like a Top

Central Kentucky
When I first filled mine up I put 93 octane in because I didn't know at the time what was recommended. After reading the owner's manual I put 87 in at the next fill. It's been really hot here and I've noticed some very slight pinging so I topped off with 93 and will put 89 octane in the next time to see if that helps. IMO what I'm hearing is not the fuel injectors clicking, and I know what that sounds like because my old '09 Vulcan 900 made a lot of fuel injector clicking noises.
As for break-in, I'm over 300 miles now so I'm running it a little harder now, not too much (no redline yet) but I'm not babying it like I was.

'13 CB1100
'08 Concours 14
07-20-2013 07:09 AM
cbtrez Offline
New To The Forum

Oklahoma
I broke mine in very aggressively, but systematically. I was easy on it at first, shifting and downshifting, varying rpm's at all times. I gradually took it higher on the rpm scale. I replaced my oil at 60 miles. Then again at 150. I will say at the 60 mile interval there was a lot of metallic particles I could see in the oil while shining a light through it. I was concerned that I was too rough on it, (Toward the end I accidentally took it past the redline.) and that the chattering was attributed to my aggressiveness on the bike. I am glad to see that other that broke it in gently see the same knock.
I am also concerned about riding the bike in hot weather. It is only oil cooled, and I am concerned that oil breakdown occurs sooner then with a water cooled bike. I noticed each time I changed my oil it was a lot darker then what I put in, even at such a low mile interval, but the darker oil may be attributed to assembly lube that were added upon manufacture. I was also considering using synthetic at a later interval, being that the oil holds up better then conventional oil in extreme conditions. I have been using 91 octane throughout the break in.
Other then the small chatter, I have no problems, except for pesky bug splatter on my nice shinny pipes! I need to figure out a way to keep my nice new pipes clean :O
Safe riding y'all!
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2013 12:15 PM by cbtrez.)
07-20-2013 12:09 PM
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
The dark color of the oil is strictly attributed to the gasoline being burned in the cylinders. Some of the gasses always leak passed the rings and contaminate the oil.
The proof of this is to check out the oil from an engine that runs on pure alcohol. It will be as clear as the day it was put in the engine when drained because it would be carbon contaminated.
07-20-2013 01:53 PM
2013 CBXX Offline
Break-In Period

Texas, USA
Cam chain tensioner gets dry and noisy when oil gets hot and thin.
Remember this is a air and OIL cooled motor with big cooler but not
big enough to keep vicosity stable at higher engine speeds/loads.
Switched to Motul Petro/Syn 5100 at 3500 miles in 10w30 weight
and noise went away. As far as break in, did not over rev it, did
not bog it down at low rpm/high speed. Changed oil and filter at
800 miles and let it rip (that is when I found the speed limiter).
Motul has synthetic esters that cling to hot parts (chemically
bonded by heat) and viscosity stabilizers that keep the oil 30W.
And no problem for wet clutches like pure syn oil causes!
07-27-2013 12:23 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>