Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
How To do your own 600 mile service
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
How To do your own 600 mile service
Posting this is going to take awhile so bear with me.....

The 600 mile service is really an easy one. It's basically an oil and filter change and a most general check. The general check includes throttle play, chain tension, lights operation etc. The manual also calls for checking torque on nuts and bolts and checking steering head bearing tension, but we're not doing that and either would your dealer.

To start, we need to know a few specs:

And a few tools

The first thing you'll do is start the bike and let it run 2-3 minutes. I feel the cylinder fins, and when they are warm ( not hot) I turn it off. Then pop it up on the centerstand. Slide your drain pan underneath.

Move to the right side of the bike and remove the oil fill plug

Locate the oil drain plug which is a 14 mm silver bolt under the engine

Take a ratchet, a short extension and a 17 mm socket and loosen the bolt (turn counter clockwise). Once loose continue to loosen by hand unti its free and pull it out of the way letting the oil drain into the pan.

Take a rag and dry off the drain bolt, and crush washer if you didn't drop it in the oil lol. If the crush washer shows signs of deformation, or wont easily pull off the threads of the drain bolt, discard it and get your new one for later.

Once the oil stream slows way down scoot the pan forward under the oil filter and grab your wrench and again turning counter clockwise break it loose.

Once loose, put the wrench down and further loosen the filter by hand until its free. Be careful when it comes off, the filter is basically a cup full of oil, so once free pour the oil out of the filter into the drain pan.

Be sure to discard oil filter in a bag you can seal otherwise it will leak oil into your garbage can

Oil will drain for a long time, so while its draining we will do some of the other checks

Throttle play is measure from full off to where you start to feel tension while turning the throttle. To measure it, put a line on the top of your throttle grip

Then take a ruler and with the mark at 0 turn your throttle till you feel tension and measure the distance it turned. (I forgot to download the pic so i'll add it later)
Spec is 2-6 mm or max 1/4 ". Mine was at 4 mm so it was still in spec.

If the throttle play did need adjustment, the adjuster is on the upper throttle cable and requires an 8 and a 10 mm open end wrench

Grab an air gauge and check your tire pressures 36 front and 42 rear is spec

Next check your crankcase breather tubes. There are two. One under the throttle bodies

And one under the left side of the motor

If there is any fluid in the tubes, put a drain under them, pull the black caps, and drain them.

Grab a ruler and measure your chain tension halfway between the sprockets. Spec call for 1 to 1 1/4 inch of slack. Mine measured 1inch so it was still in spec.

If your chain needs tightening, you'll need a 32 mm socket, a breaker bar or heavy duty ratchet, and an 8 mm wrench or socket. Loosen the axle nut and use the 8 mm wrench to turn the adj bolts 1/2 turn counter clockwise each, check your tension again. Once properly adjusted tighten axle nut. I tighten mine tight, but spec is 85 foot pounds if you want to measure it.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 04:30 AM by The ferret.)
05-02-2013 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: How to do your own 600 mile service
While you're at it check fluid levels in clutch, brake and rear brake fluid reservoirs ( rear brake res is under seat right side)

Btw your fuse box is right next to the rear brake res. Its good to know where it is before you have any electrical issues

Our oil should be drained by now so let get to putting our bike back together. Take your drain plug, and new crush washer if necessary and start bolt into drain. After 2 or 3 treads stop and clean oil off surrounding area with a rag.

Once clean run the bolt home by hand. Then tighten with ratchet and 17 mm socket. I snug mine up, but spec is 20 ft lbs I believe.

Next grab your new oil filter. Rub some fresh oil around the rubber o- ring and pour an ounce or two into the filter and roll it around.

When ready to install, take your rag and make sure area around filter is clean.

Install filter by hand and tighten down until it makes contact. Finish tightening by hand turning an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn or until snug. Torque pec on it is Ft lbs if uou are so inclined.

Now move to the right side of the bike. This bike has a pretty small fill so grab a funnel if you don't want oil everywhere.

The CB calls for 4.1 qts with filter, 4.0 qts without of Honda 10 W30. I put an asterisk next to that figure. I poured 4 qts into mine ans it was slightly overfilled. Not so high it will cause an issue, but next time I'm putting in 3 qts 28 oz and checking it before adding any more.

Replace your oil fill plug.

Now start the bike, immediately the red oil light will come on

But it should go out in a second or two

While the bike is warming up, check headlight, high and low beams, turn signals left and right, front and back, tail light, and brake light with hand and foot.

After running for 2 minutes. Turn the bike off and let it sit for 5 mins or so. Then check oil level in sight glass. It should be between the high and low mark. Anywhere in between is okay, but we all know you are going to try and make it dead even with the top mark, aren't you?
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 07:04 PM by The ferret.)
05-02-2013 06:15 PM
oldyaler Offline
1st Service Completed

Monroe,NC
Well done ferret. Whenever I do any work like that I have to add a step. Before I start I go ahead and spill a little oil on my shirt and hands Because IT 'S GONNA HAPPEN ANYWAY.Big Grin
05-02-2013 07:09 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Congrats you have just completed your own 600 mile service. Be sure and record date, mileage and save your receipts for warranty purposes. Not only have you saved up to $100 at your local dealership and maybe a couple days without your bike if the shop is busy, but you know your service was done right, and you've become more familiar with your bike.

If anyone notices any errors, please bring it up so we can correct it asap. Thanks.

Hope this helps some of the newbies.

(05-02-2013 07:09 PM)oldyaler Wrote:  Well done ferret. Whenever I do any work like that I have to add a step. Before I start I go ahead and spill a little oil on my shirt and hands Because IT 'S GONNA HAPPEN ANYWAY.Big Grin

Yep...

I hate oil, hate it. Like you said, it gets on me, my tools, my garage floor, my work bench, everything that gets near it, but its a necessary evil.

It's nice to be able to do basic service work on your motorcycle though, and to be able to do it on your time schedule, and not at the mercy of the dealer which may be 100 miles away.

Trust me on this, I am not mechanically inclined, but this kind of stuff is really easy. You can do it.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 07:17 PM by The ferret.)
05-02-2013 07:10 PM
ron1100 Offline
1st Service Completed

Houston, TX
Great write up. Thank you. I've always done my own service and never through a dealer.
05-02-2013 08:05 PM
thumper Offline
Running Like a Top

Bakersfield, CA.
What a fantastic tutorial!!!

Thanks for taking the time to photo-record everything and share it with us.

Now, can you come to my house? Wink

***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander***
[size=x-small][color=#000000]The Stable--[/color][color=#0000CD]TEx[/color],[color=#FF0000]CB11A[/color],[color=#32CD32]ZX6R[/color][/size]
05-02-2013 09:10 PM
Jwayne Offline
1st Service Completed

Great write up and photos!
05-02-2013 09:47 PM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

Excellent write up. Maybe we could make a sticky out of this to help folks down the road.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
05-02-2013 11:03 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(05-02-2013 11:03 PM)OldF7Guy Wrote:  Excellent write up. Maybe we could make a sticky out of this to help folks down the road.

Sticky? I think this calls for an actual "How To Section". Smile

Thanks for putting all of the effort into the writeup ferret, much appreciated! This is a great way to start off the new section.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
05-02-2013 11:52 PM
ridesalot Offline
Break-In Period

Lake Placid, Florida
Nicely done ferret. The only advice I would add is for the first service to be sure to use the oem Honda oil filter. Purchase it separately so that you have a dated receipt. I purchase the oil for this first service separately also in order to have a dedicated receipt, but I use Mobil 1, 4T. After the first service I use Purolator Pure One oil filters. ( $6 at Advance Auto Parts ) I believe the # for the CB11 is PL14610 which is a 3.25" filter. PL14612, which is a 2.5", should also fit. I have not checked this filter to be sure it will fit yet. The next service is still a while away.

I remembered after I made this post that I still had my old Honda oil filter so I checked for proper fit of the Purolator, Pure-One filter. The correct model is PL14612 which is 2.5". There is not adequate clearance between the header pipes to fit the 3.25" model.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 05:25 PM by ridesalot.)
05-03-2013 05:22 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Today's weather (same system as PB) was . . .GoldOxide — 03:10 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Talk about dreaming of owning somethin . . .GoldOxide — 03:09 PM
Todays weather