Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Crash bars make me crash
mattvoyle Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles
RE: Crash bars make me crash
I used to run SW MOTECH crash bars just like these. I only managed to drag them a few times on tight uphill mountain curves (RIP THE SNAKE)

I wouldn't worry too much about them. I eventually swapped them out for more low profile sliders though. Get your center of gravity off the bike in aggressive corners and you won't scrape.

They DID save my leg when a Prius drove into me head-on though, so props to big crash bars.
04-13-2020 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sledge13 Offline
Account not Activated

Hattiesburg, MS
Crash bars make me crash
(04-13-2020 02:07 PM)mattvoyle Wrote:  I used to run SW MOTECH crash bars just like these. I only managed to drag them a few times on tight uphill mountain curves (RIP THE SNAKE)

I wouldn't worry too much about them. I eventually swapped them out for more low profile sliders though. Get your center of gravity off the bike in aggressive corners and you won't scrape.

They DID save my leg when a Prius drove into me head-on though, so props to big crash bars.

The main reason I wanted a set was to mount highway pegs really. I have had a bike before that had them mounted onto the frame that were very handy and not in the way at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-13-2020 02:33 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Just to be clear to everyone, I meant to not use the Kajima ones. The others have had no complaints and as Matt said, saved his leg! I am not against them Smile

Back in the ‘70s I had those crash bars that were kind of one big rectangle that bolted to the frame. At least they looked ok, not like those Japanese Police ones for our bike that looked goofy. Those are not available anymore, IIRC.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
04-13-2020 02:54 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
I reckon it's sad that the big old-fashioned ones are no longer available. Sad
04-13-2020 04:03 PM
michael1954 Offline
Running Like a Top

South Texas
(06-04-2014 10:56 AM)cosmos Wrote:  Ok, title may be a little dramatic but here's my little story. Ordered some Kijima engine guards from webike, only took 5 days from Japan so I was pretty excited.
http://japan.webike.net/products/9450147.html
Straightforward to put on, even with Japanese instructions, although I did break one of the two supplied bolts which didn't impress me much. Something new on the bike obviously requires a test ride, right? Great day, 70 degrees, partly sunny, nice day for a ride. Headed to some nearby twisties, not to actually test anything but just because it's fun. About halfway through the twisty part came into a yellow signed 35mph hour at about 50-55, fast enough to be fun but not exactly speed demon stuff. Halfway through the turn I started to scrape. First thought was footpeg, wasn't expecting it but there it was, no big deal. But it wasn't just scraping, it felt like it was digging and really unsettling the bike. I came up a bit but that wasn't going to work so went back down. I had probably let off the gas so that was the beginning of the end. I was heading for the gravel on the outside and didn't want to hit that leaned all the way over so plan B. Came back up, maybe I could still stay on the side and slow enough. Nope. Plan C, fairly shallow ditch just try to stay on while slowing. Worked fairly well but went over the handlebars right at the end. Picked up the bike and gave it a once over, no real damage just broke a mirror off. Started it and rode down the ditch a few feet til I could ride out then went down the road a bit to a pull off. Looked over it more carefully and cleaned out some mud but basically nothing had been damaged or even scratched. Rode home a little embarrassed and deflated but no worse for wear. After it was parked I looked at the footpeg and didn't see any scaping, kept looking around an saw this
Ok, they didn't really cause the crash, I could have handled it better, maybe I should have known better, maybe it's common knowledge the things stick way out, I should have thought....blah blah blah.
Anyway, learning experience, they are coming right back off, and for anyone else unaware like me, you've been warned!!!

Hi, I installed some SW-Motech Crash bars on my 2013, and similar ones from China on my 2017, a couple months back. I do not lean it like my Z900RS, but do corners leaning what feels good, and have never touch either bike's bars on the ground. I am leaving them because in the past I had them save the engine on my old Suzuki VS1400 Intruder years ago.

2014 Honda CB1100DLX (A work still in progress)
2017 Honda CB1100EX
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2020 03:14 AM by michael1954.)
04-14-2020 03:13 AM
Labrador12 Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
Ive got the OEM Honda bars on my 2014. My place in Ak is on a dirt road up a steep hill. I got them to save the side cases on the engine. That road is a pis*er. The cb is no lite weight and I am pushing 70.

I enjoyed quite a few twisty mountain roads while in Ak last year. No problems with the Honda bars, the Ak State Troopers not so much!
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2020 11:39 AM by The ferret.)
04-14-2020 09:39 AM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
I have engine guards on my bike, and have never scrapped them - I have scrapped the foot peg feelers on both sides - more than once.
04-18-2020 11:05 AM
michael1954 Offline
Running Like a Top

South Texas
(04-18-2020 11:05 AM)Dave Wrote:  I have engine guards on my bike, and have never scrapped them - I have scrapped the foot peg feelers on both sides - more than once.

Hi, I agree. As I posted, both of my CB's have either the Mo-Tech or the Chinese copy. Both work well and should be almost impossible to scrape unless you are leaning like Valentino Rossi on a World Class Super bike. The original post about crashing must have bars that really stick out or are too low. I will not remove mine because I know from past experiences, they save engines. Michael

2014 Honda CB1100DLX (A work still in progress)
2017 Honda CB1100EX
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS
04-18-2020 06:14 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>