Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2.75 Average
Staintune Exhaust
Lord Popgun Online
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
RE: Staintune Exhaust
I'll come over and WATCH you install it for some of that Jameson's.

Is there any effect on gas milage when mufflers are swapped out from factory equipment?

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
05-04-2013 05:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(05-04-2013 03:22 AM)Inline4 Wrote:  AAAAAAHHHHH! Heart Heart Heart Heart Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Glad to see the build quality meets your expectations. It IS a good looking piece and from the sound clips I've heard, it will transform the CB while still retaining much of the stock appearance. Well worth the price, IMHO.
You must be pretty pumped about taking delivery of your bike today, John.
When you call it a day, give us your riding impressions and I will offer up a toast to your great day. (I noticed the Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio and Jameson's Irish Whisky in the background). Smile
Jim

Inline, I am pumped indeed. If you can pry me out of the garage when I get home, I'll try to give a quick riding impression. The wine is for a lady friend and the Whisky is for an old buddy who stops in twice a year. I'll be slurping a Spaten Optimator double-bock tonight. Hardcore beer drinker here. Cool

(05-04-2013 05:52 AM)popgun Wrote:  I'll come over and WATCH you install it for some of that Jameson's.

Is there any effect on gas milage when mufflers are swapped out from factory equipment?

Ha, I think that's a better deal for you than for me!

I don't think a slip-on will affect the mileage much if any. It might be hard for me to know as the Staintune will probably get installed in pretty short order, so won't have much time to compare to stock mileage.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 06:11 AM by Scoobynut.)
05-04-2013 06:08 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(05-04-2013 05:52 AM)popgun Wrote:  I'll come over and WATCH you install it for some of that Jameson's.

Ive had 2 bikes I put 4 into 1's on. A Kerker on a 76 Honda CB 750K6 and a Vance and Hines ( remember those guys? ) on a 83 Suzuki GS1100E. My gas mileage went down on both bikes..... but it was probably more due to me twisting the wrist further listening to the pipe, than it was due to the pipe itself Wink
05-04-2013 08:38 AM
GSAviator Offline
1st Service Completed

(05-03-2013 07:29 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  My Staintune slip-on arrived this afternoon, so I thought I'd better post up some pics. I'm going to get my bike tomorrow, so it will be a few days before I get it installed. First impressions of the appearance of the pipe are even better than expected.

That is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it installed. The only quibble I have with the stocker is that it seems to hang out a little too wide for my taste.
05-04-2013 08:44 PM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(05-04-2013 08:44 PM)GSAviator Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 07:29 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  My Staintune slip-on arrived this afternoon, so I thought I'd better post up some pics. I'm going to get my bike tomorrow, so it will be a few days before I get it installed. First impressions of the appearance of the pipe are even better than expected.

That is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it installed. The only quibble I have with the stocker is that it seems to hang out a little too wide for my taste.

Just eyeballing the two, the Staintune seems smaller in every dimension, like it's a 3/4 scale model of the stocker. I hesitate to say it will stick out less before I install it, but I suspect it will. Will keep you posted.
05-04-2013 10:00 PM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
I couldn't wait so I installed the Staintune today. Not a very thorough write up, but it's a very easy install.

This thing sounds awesome. If you want to give your CB1100 a little bit of an attitude, this is your muffler. Despite sounding somewhat aggressive, it also sounds classy. I wouldn't classify it as loud compared to some mufflers, but if you are sensitive about 'noise,' you might not like it. It also burbles a bit when you back off the throttle, not loud explosions like you hear on some Harleys, but, well, burbles. I love it. Anyhow, on to the pics:

This should give you a good idea of the difference in size -vs.- the stock muffler.

You have to remove the stock heat shield and transfer it to the Staintune, which already has the mounts for it.

There are little rubber cushions on the heat shield mounts that were difficult to slide onto the Staintune's similar mounts. The easy solution was to remove them from their homes (as shown in the picture) and place them onto the new mounts (on the Staintune) and then slide the heat shield mini-brackets over them. Problem solved. You'll have to scroll up to see the Staintune mounts as compared to the stock ones. Other than that little thing, the rest of the install was easy-peasy. You use the same muffler hanger bolt that came with the bike. So, slide the new muffler on to the stock collector pipe, loosely mount the rear hanger bolt, tighten the clamp down by the collector, and then do a final tightening of the hanger bolt. If you're worried about dropping the new (or original one for that matter) muffler during the install, place the box it came in directly under where it is to be installed.

Installed it mounts nice and tight to the bike. I'd have to say you do gain some cornering clearance due to it being shorter in length and of a smaller diameter. I didn't bother measuring height/distance/cornering angles between the two, however.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 08:28 AM by Scoobynut.)
05-05-2013 05:16 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
How much weight savings?
05-05-2013 05:50 PM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

Looks way better than the stock exhaust imo. Stock is just too big.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
05-05-2013 05:54 PM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(05-05-2013 05:50 PM)The ferret Wrote:  How much weight savings?

Ferret, I don't have a scale so I can't give you any definitive answers there, but I did hold them both, one in each hand, and I'd say the Staintune is 5 or 6 lbs. lighter. The stocker isn't quite as heavy as I expected (going by it's sheer size), but it's definitely a good 5 lbs heavier. Disclaimer: these are guesses only, not based on any scientific or statistical evidence.

(05-05-2013 05:54 PM)OldF7Guy Wrote:  Looks way better than the stock exhaust imo. Stock is just too big.

I didn't mind the way the stock pipe looks myself, but now that I have the Staintune on there, I like its looks even better.

BTW, took the bike out on the highway tonight, and the Staintune definitely sharpens throttle response in top gear. 5th gear now feels like 4th used to, no kidding. I'm was already pretty happy with this bike's response at highway speeds, but now I'm pretty damned pleased. Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 09:42 PM by Scoobynut.)
05-05-2013 07:20 PM
GSAviator Offline
1st Service Completed

Yes! Thet fixes my one aesthetic objection to the CB! Much mo beta.
05-05-2013 08:27 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>