Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Symmetry
Buffalohead Offline
Running Like a Top

Oklahoma
RE: Symmetry
(02-19-2014 08:45 AM)Guth Wrote:  Ironically, the rear view of the bike is the one that highlights best the most non-symmetrical things about any bike: the offset required on the drive system side.

I rode BMW's for eons. The late model bikes have no swing-arm on the left because the shaft-drive/swing-arm on the right side is the whole shabang (it's opposite on some models). The rear wheel bolts on like a car wheel with no symmetry. It's works good but I always thought it looked weird.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2014 08:58 AM by Buffalohead.)
02-19-2014 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mick65 Offline
1st Service Completed

England
(02-19-2014 08:58 AM)Buffalohead Wrote:  
(02-19-2014 08:45 AM)Guth Wrote:  Ironically, the rear view of the bike is the one that highlights best the most non-symmetrical things about any bike: the offset required on the drive system side.

I rode BMW's for eons. The late model bikes have no swing-arm on the left because the shaft-drive/swing-arm on the right side is the whole shabang (it's opposite on some models). The rear wheel bolts on like a car wheel with no symmetry. It's works good but I always thought it looked weird.

It needed to be like that because my 1150rt used to eat rear tyres and it was an easy job to take of the rear wheel.

It needed to be like that because my 1150rt used to eat rear tyres and it was an easy job to take of the rear wheel.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2014 11:58 AM by Mick65.)
02-19-2014 11:48 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
I don't fully agree....[/quote][/php]

Attached File(s) Image(s)

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
02-19-2014 12:46 PM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
Ferret, as others have eluded too, maybe you can put a fake chain and sprocket on the right side also, will make it look even more even.
02-19-2014 01:19 PM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
The bike is not symmetrical as Guth reports.

Symmetry is style. Those who favor style over performance like symmetry, everything neatly ordered and squared away, in its place.

High performance motorcycles are highly unsymmetrical, particularly with respect to the drivetrain and powerplant. I wonder how much weight the twin-pipe setup adds to the bike, for example, when the 4-into-1 gets the job done nicely?

A short list of asymmetrical things on the typical superbike:

-cable type clutch, hydraulic brake master cylinder, usually transparent plastic and raised well above the handlebar (the Honda has nice symmetrical hydraulic reservoirs for both clutch and front brakes).
-swingarm; all modern superbikes have a grossly asymmetrical swingarm configuration
-exhaust; all have a 4-into-1

However, the opposite is true for aircraft where perfect symmetry is highly desirable. Something tells me the average CB1100 aficionado likes the look of a B-17 or other WWII multi-engine bomber.

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
02-19-2014 01:25 PM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
The VStrom 650 always had a single muffler vs. the dual on the 1000, and it did look like there was a gaping hole.

BMW seems to be into asymmetric design; the S1000RR is quite different from one side to the other. Even the other bikes like the GS have asymmetrical headlights.

It's been said that the most attractive people are that way because they have symmetrical, balanced features, especially the face. Tragically most women have one boob that's larger than the other, completely ruining their appeal.

Go hagofuku yourself.
02-19-2014 01:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mick65 Offline
1st Service Completed

England

I, m starting to love my none symetrical side.
02-19-2014 01:34 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Symmetry
That Hurricane was one eye-catching bike.

I think moving away from the 4 into 1 system for the CB1100 Deluxe was pretty much mandatory given the design objective. And while a 4 into 4 system might have looked a bit more "period correct", I honestly prefer the 4 into 2 exhaust over a 4 into 4 system which would have added more expense and weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
02-19-2014 01:40 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(02-19-2014 01:19 PM)HikerToo Wrote:  Ferret, as others have eluded too, maybe you can put a fake chain and sprocket on the right side also, will make it look even more even.

Then there would be no place for the rear disc and caliper..which balances out the chain and sprocket on the left side.

Bikes look better with 2 rear view mirrors instead of just one on the left ( which is legal in the U.S.)

They look better with dual discs on the front instead of just on 1 side of the wheel.

They look better with either a single headlight in the center or two equal size headlights side by side, than with 2 different shaped / sized headlights side by side.

Symmetry... It calms me Big Grin

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-19-2014 01:49 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Symmetry
I'd also add that the CB1100 isn't really about performance and the Deluxe model embraces that fact by adding a dual exhaust and the visual symmetry that comes along with it. In real world use, I'm guessing that any difference in performance will be negligible.

I think the most notable thing about the new design is how many more "what year is it?" conversations it will start. Honda really hit the bullseye on the retro front with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
02-19-2014 01:53 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition