Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motorcycle etiquette
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Motorcycle etiquette
I'm not sure where this question belongs. I'm not even sure it belongs at all, having seen all sorts of derision aimed at "nodding threads" on an Australian motorcycle forum. It may even be that the question, like comments and discussions about oil, God and politics is expressly banned.

But I saw this:
(02-21-2014 02:11 PM)calamarichris Wrote:  A few summers ago, I was cruising with my dog on my crotch-rocket on Pacific Coast Highway and waved to a couple on a Harley Road-King. The female passenger on back waved back, but her male pilot ROFL slapped her hand back down! ROFL

(Looks like someone forgot the pre-ride briefing on who not to wave to.) Hello

... and I just have to ask: what is the modern protocol in the US—or any other country from which this forum has members—for acknowledging other motorcyclists?

As a boy starting out, I was told it was the done thing to acknowledge other people on (motor) bikes with a nod or a wave. You had to be careful as a young 'un on a small capacity bike. Some folk on big beasts wanted to remain aloof and waving to some of the types who affected denim jackets with cut-off sleves and big pictures on the back—which I'm sure they wore because they couldn't master the zip fastener on their leather jackets and had to keep the front together somehow—might earn you a scary look or a kick in the head. But, generally, bikers were affable types who acknowledged one another. Oh, and there were people who rode scooters ...

I come back to riding after years away and I do it in a different place. Once I've remastered staying upright, I start waving and nodding away like the good old days only to find people staring resolutely ahead. Any sort of acknowledgment from any other biker has become as rare as rockinghorse cuss. Have things changed that much? Is this an Australian phenomenon? Or is it particular to the peculiar state of Australia in which I now live?

Before Ferret or Guth, with smoke erupting from their ears because I've committed some unforgivable breach of forum protocol, rip this post down, ban me from the site forever, and cause the bikers equivalent of a fatwa to be promulgated against me, to could someone take pity on me and treat this as a serious sociological question? Please?
02-21-2014 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
calamarichris Offline
1st Service Completed

Carlsbad, CA
RE: Motorcycle etiquette
IMO, there's no standard protocol. The only wrong answer is to allow yourself to feel compelled by social protocol to wave or not wave.
Personally I wave at every 1%er, every ADV-poseur, every motorcycle cop, every crotch-rocket fratboy, and every 6-year-old on a Bigwheel, but I don't expect them to wave back. Sometimes I'm too distracted by my own apex-predicament to notice if they wave back.
There might be a very good reason they don't wave back. Perhaps a bee just flew in his/her helmet (my Dad suffered a fractured femur when this happened to him); maybe he/she is in the middle of changing gears; flat tire; heavy traffic; maybe her husband slaps her hand down because he feels threatened by your devlishly handsome good-looks...
And some of us live in motorcycle-dense regions, where you could spend all day with your clutch hand never getting a rest. An upward jut of the chin will do.

Taking your hands off the bars is dangerous. So you probably shouldn't wave at other motorcyclists. Unless you want to and it's safe.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2014 08:09 PM by calamarichris.)
02-21-2014 08:07 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Well I don't think this subject is touchy like oil or politics, but it certainly is an individual thing. I started riding in the mid 60 s. Weren't a whole lot of bikes around then and it was common to give acknowledgment to fellow riders passed on the road. I still do, to every one ( even scooters and trikes) but not all riders feel that way. In this country a lot of times genre of motorcyclists don't acknowledge other genre riders ie: sport bike riders don't acknowledge tourers and Harley riders, for the most part only want to acknowledge other Harley riders, but this is not cast in stone and ofttimes riders acknowledge each other regardless of brand or genre.

Most acknowledgements here seem to be a downward facing " peace sign"

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-21-2014 08:16 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
Hello

Hello

Angel

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
02-21-2014 09:04 PM
Papabear Offline
1st Service Completed

Palm Desert, California
Yep, downward facing peace sign sort of wave. Not all are returned. No big thing. I have done my part. Doesn't hurt to be friendly.

67 CB450 Black Bomber
2007 VTX1300
2013 CB1100
02-21-2014 09:16 PM
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
If I'm on a half day ride or so, I wave in some kind of way for about the first 30 oncoming bikes. After that I get sick and tired of waving all the time and just stop doing it for a while.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
02-21-2014 09:23 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(02-21-2014 09:04 PM)Rboe Wrote:  Hello

Hello

Angel

Did you have to take both hands off the bars to do that?

Hello Hello The ferret

I d ....
02-21-2014 09:46 PM
calamarichris Offline
1st Service Completed

Carlsbad, CA
(02-21-2014 09:46 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Did you have to take both hands off the bars to do that?

If the weather's really good and I'm enjoying the ride enough, I'll dive off my bike and tackle the rider coming the other way just to give 'em a hug. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2014 09:53 PM by calamarichris.)
02-21-2014 09:53 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(02-21-2014 09:53 PM)calamarichris Wrote:  
(02-21-2014 09:46 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Did you have to take both hands off the bars to do that?

If the weather's really good and I'm enjoying the ride enough, I'll dive off my bike and tackle the rider coming the other way just to give 'em a hug. Big Grin

ROFL

Geez! What a pity we're not on the same continent! Big Grin
02-21-2014 09:55 PM
Greg Offline
1st Service Completed

Central Florida
Most of the time, where I ride, seeing an oncoming bike is a novelty. Since I assume cagers are intent on killing me, I acknowledge other riders who share my vulnerability in one way or another unless my situation requires full attention and coordination of left and right hands and both feet.

Sometimes I wiggle three fingers on my left hand or drop my left arm with two fingers extended. Sometimes, while riding on a separated road, another rider will wave at me even though there is 50 feet of grass separating us. I try to wave back even though he may already be behind me.

Being in Central Florida means that on some weekends there will be lots and lots of other riders on the roads. My town is a favorite destination for riding clubs. On those days there's no point in waving. The 10 or 15 oncoming riders don't wave and I would look like a fool traveling 1/4 mile or more with one hand in the air.

One situation I've never figured out is whether I should acknowledge another rider who going the same direction next to me. I've tried various waves but it always seems weird and I've never gotten a response. I've pretty much given up on waving to guys going the same direction as I am.
02-21-2014 10:14 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>