Campaign to bring the CB1100 back to Australia
Daniel how far you from Russellville ?
05-07-2014 10:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
danielquin Offline
Break-In Period

USA
RE: Campaign to bring the CB1100 back to Australia
I live right outside of Fayetteville so about two hours.
05-10-2014 05:50 AM
Tezza Offline
1st Service Completed

Queensland Australia
I purchased my white model in 2010 for $14600AU. I recently called into a Honda dealer and one of the staff came out to check out the bike. He was also disappointed that they no longer supply that model.
If I can keep it looking as pristine as my 1973 Kawasaki Z1 then it may become a collectors item some day.
12-08-2014 02:36 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
It may well, Tezza. I've yet to meet someone who dismisses the bike, so it remains curious to me that Honda hasn't sold more of them. It may be, I suppose, that many of the people to whom they appeal either have a bike and don't really want to change or aren't willing to take the plunge and get back into riding.

I've thought about this recently in the context of the propaganda about the CB1100 on the Honda World website. It's hard not to assume reading it that they aren't proud of the bike and want to push it, but it doesn't seem to translate into marketing action in markets like Australia.

Go figure.
12-08-2014 02:33 PM
mike1161 Offline
Break-In Period

New Port Richey, FL
I've been hanging around this forum since mid 2013, since I really love the CB1100, and especially the 2014 DLX model. I really hope the campaign is successful!
In reading this thread and a couple of others, I'm also kind of worried that Honda isn't going to have a 2015 for the US. Looking at a few dealer websites, they aren't showing the CB1100 for 2015. Haven't called to actually talk to any local dealers, though. Some other forum members have said that they may announce the CB a bit later on.
I'd love to pick up an DLX model, but right now it just isn't in the cards for me financially. The only way I could do it would be to sell my restored 1970 Suzuki T350 and then finance the rest, but right now I'm still having a hard time thinking of letting the old 2 stroker go.... And my daily rider is a Thruxton, which I really want to keep. Well, I suppose if they do discontinue the CB for 2015, there's always the option of getting a used, well cared for 2014 at some point down the road.

2012 Triumph Thruxton, '96 Triumph Trident
12-09-2014 06:30 AM
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
I applaud the effort to try and convince Honda to keep the CB in production, but seriously doubt if hearing from those of us that already own one will have any impact. After all, how many of us are potential buyers? Close to none.

I feel Honda already has too many models in production. They have to ax the slowest sellers in order to try something else. It's a business decision, not colored by our love, fondness, or nostalgia.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
12-09-2014 06:55 AM
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
(05-06-2014 08:35 PM)Ridem32 Wrote:  The CB1100 even in the USA is a slow seller. Most guys over the age of. 50 buy them. Most people don't know how nice they are till they ride one. Honda can't afford to keep building such a bike with low sells. Buy the end of this year the 14 will drop in price at dealers. Lots of dealers still have the 13 models it's sad but true. I don't know how many members are on this forum but only about 10 of us have the deluxe model I found a deluxe at a dealer today one state next to me for $10,400 in stock. & he has 4 13 models left over.
Michael
Hey, I'm not over 50 shaddup Angry

Dealers in the U.S. will deal on the 13s, if they have 14s in the shop... Most want the bigger tank & extra gear.

I have seen leftovers as low as 8. However, I found a used one for 6 with only 1k...its basically new...

The problem with it is simple.. You can get a lot of other bikes, new or used for that money that can do as much, if not more...

[u]'13 cb1100[/u] came with black grab rails, headlight & side covers, hagofuku front/rear fenders, and cats eye blinkers.[u]Added by me[/u]: Staintune Slip-on, Moriwaki sliders, Sport Trunk Seat, Lucas black taillight
12-09-2014 03:17 PM
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
Heck, you can still find a couple of other model Hondas, brand new 2010 model year, still sitting on the dealers floor.

I don't know what the issue is with our CB1100s. Maybe the market just wasn't that big in the first place. Maybe not that many of the older guys that know all about and appreciate what the CBs of the 70s and 80s were, and how many of them were in the market for a new bike, and how many have the $$$ to spend on an new one? Heck, if you just want a CB to play around with you can still buy a mint original or even a restored one from 1980-something for 2K that will run for another 30 years, you don't have to drop 11K + tax on a new one just to ride on weekends. Honda was and is probably in competition with their own used bike market.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about US. We appreciate what the 1100 is, and we ride ours.

And how many young 20-something riders will even take the time to check out the CB? After all, it's their fathers bike from back in the old days to them. Everyone they know that rides, rides a crotch rocket.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 04:09 PM by ClassicVW.)
12-09-2014 03:57 PM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
I visited a dealer in S NH today that has a leftover '14 black STD. Another dealer ten miles from me has a leftover '13 which has been sitting on the floor for two years now. A third dealer has sold two '14 black models but still has a '13 STD, a '13 ABS, a '14 STD and a '14 DLX. Most bikes I see in my town are Harleys, partly because of the dealer in town and also because people still like Harleys. A trip to the BMW dealer showed that the R Nine T sold out last year, made it much more limited numbers, but, took sales away from the CB1100 nevertheless. Harley is the number one reason for slower CB1100 sales. People need to take a test ride. Ridin is believing.
12-09-2014 04:15 PM
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
There are people that will buy a BMW and not consider anything else. Same with Honda. The RNineT was in very limited numbers, I think dealers got an allotment based on their sales, so many smaller dealers got only one. The RNineT is like 5 or 6 grand more than what you could buy a new CB for, so maybe not a direct competitor.

--George
12-09-2014 04:31 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,756

Full Statistics

>