Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boots
howlindaug Offline
1st Service Completed

SW Michigan
RE: Boots
I use these Chippewa boots, model 27422, also called Firefighter boots. Even though they have laces, they are knotted at the top and are only there to customize the fit. You get in and out of them via a heavy-duty zipper. Any boot that I can pull on that doesn't have zippers, laces, or buckles I find don't give a good fit. If they are big enough so I can get my foot into them, they feel loose once on. I have a wide foot, and these are wide. I have the D-width boots. They also go up to EE in width. Once broken in these are incredible boots.

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2014 03:03 PM by howlindaug.)
03-08-2014 03:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
So, to supplement my "moon boots", I just ordered a plain black 6" Red Wing boot for those days when I may actually walk away from my motorcycle and don't want to look too weird.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-sho...boot-black
03-08-2014 03:46 PM
Ryanizzle Offline
Break-In Period

San Francisco, CA
(03-01-2014 04:13 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  What boots do you recommend?

I have a pair of pull-on waterproof boots I picked up at Cycle Gear pretty cheap. They do a good job but have no insulation (or very little) and they have neither the style nor the comfort to be worn off the bike for any length of time.

I am considering a pair of workboot-styled boots. Looked at a pair of Red Wings that I liked, but I'm hesitant because I'm worried about malleolus protection. Ferret will REALLY think I have champagne taste in gear when he sees what I'm considering: Stylmartin Indian Boots. Pretty pricey, but they get great reviews, can be re-soled, and will look pretty good and be comfortable with a pair of jeans at work. Any thoughts, besides that they're expensive?

What boots do you recommend?

I have the Stylmartin Indians. Overall, I like the boots, but there are a few quirks:

First big one is its availability in the US- it's hard to find; even on Revzilla, you're lucky if they have it in stock in your size (go by your Euro size). I had mine imported from the UK; had to pay international shipping & customs fees Undecided

They're a little bulky, but I can still wear them under a pair of jeans.

The placement of the ankle pads is a little off; it grazes my ankle, giving me mild discomfort on the bike, specifically while feet are touching the ground while parking, at a full stop, etc. But it's not a total deal-breaker, I just think for its price it should've been better.

Laces feel thin and cheap, like they could loosen themselves while you're riding. But it's a tall enough boot that I never worry about loose laces, especially while wearing under jeans.

Overall it's a nice boot, I can wear them 40 hrs/week to and from work. Not trying to scare you with all the negatives about it, just wanna give you a heads up on what to expect.
03-08-2014 11:39 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Great info! Thanks. I knew about the size issues. I'm concerned (maybe too much) about ankle protection in general, and the Stylmartins seem to have what I need, but I need them to be comfortable off the bike, too. I'll watch that. If I get them, I'll walk around the house with them before riding just to be sure. I know they are hard to find, so I may wind up looking at something else, too. Always good to know the pros and cons. Thanks again.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-09-2014 08:26 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
If I thought that they would fit, I'd be sporting a pair of these:

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
03-09-2014 09:11 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I don't love pull on boots, but these have that buckle at the bottom that could help them fit me better. Who makes them?

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-09-2014 09:14 AM
Damfino Offline
Running Like a Top

Camp Crystal Lake
These are what I've worn since my FedEx Ground days. They aren't motorcycle specific, but they're light on your feet. I wore many 'work style' boots before the Ecco's and always felt like I was wearing concrete blocks on my feet.

http://us.shop.ecco.com/ECCO-Track-6-GTX...=men-boots

[hr]
[align=center][b]1976 CB750
2014 CB1100DLX #0241
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler
1977 XL75 (Long Gone)[/b][/align]

[URL=https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cb1100/2014/Damfino/272248]https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/272248.png[/URL]
03-09-2014 09:40 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(03-09-2014 09:14 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  I don't love pull on boots, but these have that buckle at the bottom that could help them fit me better. Who makes them?

They're made by Sidi exclusively for Aerostich. In addition to the buckle, they also have an internal lacing system.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
03-09-2014 09:48 AM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
(03-09-2014 09:40 AM)Damfino Wrote:  These are what I've worn since my FedEx Ground days. They aren't motorcycle specific, but they're light on your feet. I wore many 'work style' boots before the Ecco's and always felt like I was wearing concrete blocks on my feet.

http://us.shop.ecco.com/ECCO-Track-6-GTX...=men-boots

These look nice for a plain non-motorcycle specific boot.
03-09-2014 11:52 AM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
about 7 years ago I bought a pair of Tourmaster Solution Waterproof Road boots and have been very happy with them.
I paid just under $130 for the pair and they are very comfortable on and off the bike.
I have walked in them for whole days and no sore feet.
As I have wide feet I use the size 13 and can use thick socks in the winter,plus they are very waterproof in the rain,perhaps not in the pool !
Saying all this a riding buddy of mine just bought the same but they do not seem as strong as the ones I bought,seems they used some lighter materials,he still likes them very much.
Sometimes I question the wisdom of companies in making things cheaper instead of increasing the price of the product.
03-09-2014 01:51 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
First time out this season now that I . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM
Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!
Yikes A-man! Glad to read you sailed th . . .GoldOxide — 02:39 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit challeng . . .Gone in 60 — 02:15 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,379

Full Statistics