Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Loud Pipes
thumper Offline
Running Like a Top

Bakersfield, CA.
RE: Loud Pipes
I'll be brief, as this is a hot topic.

If loud pipes really save lives, then by the same logic, shouldn't the siren on my patrol car point backwards? Idea

***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander***
[size=x-small][color=#000000]The Stable--[/color][color=#0000CD]TEx[/color],[color=#FF0000]CB11A[/color],[color=#32CD32]ZX6R[/color][/size]
03-09-2014 03:55 AM
Find all posts by this user
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

(03-09-2014 03:55 AM)thumper Wrote:  I'll be brief, as this is a hot topic.

If loud pipes really save lives, then by the same logic, shouldn't the siren on my patrol car point backwards? Idea

When I hear a siren it always takes me a minute to figure out which way or where its coming from. But, it gets my attention and that is the point. Its a different noise kinda like loud exhausts that you are not used to hearing. We are all riders here and we are probably tuned in more to what is going on around us that the average guy/gal in a car that is busy putting on their lipstick or texting.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
03-09-2014 04:31 AM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
I spent the night at a friends house in Daytona during Bike Week a few years ago. He was right on the river, and I was up at dawn enjoying the quiet, the birds. As the morning went on, a din of motorcycle noise began to rise until it was as thick as a summer fog. I asked my host and a few other people what they thought about it, and without exception they said they were happy to have the tourists in town spending money.

Personally I've reached a point where loud pipes don't appeal to me like they used to. But you know that those guys on their Hawgs aren't going to enjoy themselves if they can't make a racket. Is it REALLY that intrusive on anyone's life to have a loud bike go by from time to time? If Daytona can put up with thousands of them for weeks at a time, I have to think the rest of us can.

Go hagofuku yourself.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 05:05 AM by The Spaceman.)
03-09-2014 04:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

Sitting here thinking about it a little more. I cant stand the kids that have a 500 dollar car with a 2500 boom box in them that ride up and down the road blasting rap music. That is noise polution to me and annoys the heck out of me.Angry So, I see the OP's point although it doesnt bother me any. I just thought it was fair to point out what bothers some of us doesnt others.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
03-09-2014 05:14 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I was a little worried about this thread and considered adding this subject of the things we can't talk about list, but so far you guys have done an admirable job. Lets keep it up.

It may all be a moot point someday as the Gubmint will undoubtedly pass legislation requiring the use of stamped exhausts that meet noise and emissions requirements eventually, but enforcement would be a nightmare.

http://roadwarrior.blogs.pressdemocrat.c...torcycles/

for fun google "Ban on loud motorcycles"

BTW I got my one and only loud pipes ticket with a set of fishtail mufflers on a Harley Panhead in 1969 in the Village of Fairfax, Ohio. I was 19 then and didn't think they were too loud. The officer who could not get his nightstick in the end of the pipes to verify silencers disagreed. So did the Mayor in the Mayor's Court in the village I got busted in. If I remember correctly it cost me $37 plus court costs.... around $50 total. A weeks wages in 1969 for this kid.

In the intervening years I have come to appreciate a quiet set of pipes.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-09-2014 06:24 AM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
I've found that most, not all mind you, proponents of the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" argument -- if you can call it that -- are generally people to whom a great ride is a 30 mile trip to the bar with 100 of their closest friends in tow.

IMO it's just a juvenile rationalization of a juvenile notion of what creates safety. What really saves lives is being alert (situational awareness), knowing how to ride your machine in an emergency situation, and wearing the proper gear, among other things. Myself, I hate the whole 'argument.' Now if you want to argue that you like how the bike sounds with louder pipes, I'll have that debate with you, because then you're not assigning some dubious safety rationale to louder pipes.

If you're depending on loud pipes to save your life in a sea of phone talking, texting, loud-music-listening drivers, good luck with all that I say.
03-09-2014 07:22 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
As I follow this discussion, I keep coming back to this: how are we defining "loud"?

The answer that you would have received from me when I was 18 probably would have been a bit different than you would from me now at age 51 and yet again in another 10 or 20 years should I be so fortunate. Such are the joys of getting old.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
03-09-2014 07:38 AM
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA
The problem with the loud pipes is even though 'we' as riders may be 'ok' with it... the general non-riding public can get very annoyed. And that hurts the sport because they equate all motorcycles and motorcyclists as being a noisy nuisance.
My Harley has stock pipes... and it is not loud at all. Yet, down the street a bit another guy has a Road King with a modified exhaust and every time he fires it up, I get annoyed. And when he rides down the hill out of the neighborhood you hear his engine braking... way too loud. So when people look at that, they think all bikes are annoying, especially Harley's. It's not the bike... It's the owner who modified it.
I'm with Greg on the one...

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
03-09-2014 07:44 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
So what do you say to the person that is annoyed by your stock Harley and feels that it is too loud?

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
03-09-2014 07:54 AM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(03-09-2014 07:44 AM)ride4now Wrote:  The problem with the loud pipes is even though 'we' as riders may be 'ok' with it... the general non-riding public can get very annoyed. And that hurts the sport because they equate all motorcycles and motorcyclists as being a noisy nuisance.
My Harley has stock pipes... and it is not loud at all. Yet, down the street a bit another guy has a Road King with a modified exhaust and every time he fires it up, I get annoyed. And when he rides down the hill out of the neighborhood you hear his engine braking... way too loud. So when people look at that, they think all bikes are annoying, especially Harley's. It's not the bike... It's the owner who modified it.
I'm with Greg on the one...

The town I live in is full of yayhoos like your neighbor. I think if you were to pyschoanalyze most of these people, I think you'd find that they crave attention, and in their juvenile mindset, they think that being loud will get the attention they crave, which no doubt it does, but they pay no attention to whether the attention is good or bad. You cannot be a faux badass if your bike isn't obnoxiously loud. It doesn't annoy only the non-riding public, it annoys the hell out of me. I'm talking about the straight pipes that are so loud they hurt the ears. I have nothing against a baffled, or even non-baffled aftermarket exhaust that stays below the level of obnoxious, why I even own a few of those myself.

Anyone else care to join in the pychoanalysis of riders with obnoxiously loud exhaust? Big Grin

(03-09-2014 07:54 AM)Guth Wrote:  So what do you say to the person that is annoyed by your stock Harley and feels that it is too loud?

Guth, that's an easy one. "The exhaust on my Harley is EPA/DOT approved, meets all state and federal regulations, and is 100 percent legal. If you feel otherwise, please feel free to inquire with the proper authorities on your own time." Thumbs Up
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 08:01 AM by Scoobynut.)
03-09-2014 07:58 AM
Thread Closed 

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM