Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Loud Pipes
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
RE: Loud Pipes
(03-09-2014 10:11 AM)Red Mist Wrote:  Now ain't nobody here gonna tell me that when he was in his teens and twenties and thirties, he didn't put a pipe on his bike or do some kind of crazy stuff and do a lot of courtin' and sparkin'.

I can and will. I have NEVER put a pipe on any of my bikes. The most I have ever done is a windshield and I changed the color of my tank on this bike. I have never like loud pipes, even when I was younger. They are an annoyance to most people, especially if they have small children.
03-09-2014 10:21 AM
Find all posts by this user
Damfino Offline
Running Like a Top

Camp Crystal Lake
(03-09-2014 09:51 AM)Red Mist Wrote:  Naw, folks, we have hit the DOLDRUMS here with this CB1100 forum. We are just becalmed in a millpond sea. I have been hankerin' to post some irrelevant, annoyin', controversial stuff that's sure to stir up a hornet's nest but it's apparent that I ain't the only one bored to tears with this winter and actually with this bike. Ain't sayin' she's not a beauty but unlike a adventure bike or superbike, she just don't get the blood moving. The CB1100 is the equivalent of a rolling case of arteriosclerosis, she's just phlegmatic in the extreme. That's why we get to carryin' on agin' each other about nonsense like ethanol, what to call a pig, growin' corn, and world peace. Ever' single dang thread on this here forum turns into a opinion-fest within about six posts.

I think the deal is we like the bike but there jest ain't much to say 'er do about it so we get to jawin' about ever'thing under the sun, which includes all topics up to and includin' whether we can akchully heer our arteries hardenin'.

I have to agree somewhat with your point here, these are new bikes and therefore there isn't a lot of threads about wrenching or restoring which tend to make up the majority of posts on the SOHC4 forum. But there's nothing wrong with that, having a place to come to, to swap stories with others that share a common interest in the CB1100 and motorcycling is a fine thing. Even if it's just to fling poop at the wall to see what sticks. The best thing is to remain civil and respect other riders opinions, that way if there's ever a group ride/get together you can still look each other in the eye. Thumbs Up

[hr]
[align=center][b]1976 CB750
2014 CB1100DLX #0241
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler
1977 XL75 (Long Gone)[/b][/align]

[URL=https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cb1100/2014/Damfino/272248]https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/272248.png[/URL]
03-09-2014 10:27 AM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
(03-09-2014 10:06 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Those that like to stir it up usually do get bored here rather quickly and go find some place else to argue.

Why not let the boys blow off a little steam now and then? I haven't seen any name callin' recently.

Ain't there such a thing as a "happy medium" which we call "light-hearted and good-natured banter"? Seems a darn shame if we can't poke some fun around here.

Truth be told the amount of useful information regarding my CB1100 that I have gotten on this forum is just about equivalent to zero, zip, nada. I have had a few laughs, a few chuckles, a few good times. We are all just sufferin' from cabin fever; take that away, and what's left?Sad

(03-09-2014 10:27 AM)Damfino Wrote:  I have to agree somewhat with your point here, these are new bikes and therefore there isn't a lot of threads about wrenching or restoring which tend to make up the majority of posts on the SOHC4 forum. But there's nothing wrong with that, having a place to come to, to swap stories with others that share a common interest in the CB1100 and motorcycling is a fine thing. Even if it's just to fling poop at the wall to see what sticks. The best thing is to remain civil and respect other riders opinions, that way if there's ever a group ride/get together you can still look each other in the eye. Thumbs Up
Well that's what I said. You get on a superbike or adventure bike forum, guys are doing a whole lot more adventurous style riding, high-speed riding, bike modifications and so on. So there's a lot more to discuss and argy about. Somehow those forums keep going despite all the controversy and hot blood.

I dunno, if there are a lotta guys on this forum who never busted the speed limit or did anything illegal or dangerous or were a scofflaw once or twice in their misspent youths, I guess I can conclude I got the right bike but the wrong forum!ROFL

But I guess there are a couple of us here that may have just "bent" the law a little bit here and there, judging from a few of the posts about Yoshimura and Staintune and TwoBros and other loud-assed pipes they've put on.Clap

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 10:39 AM by Red Mist.)
03-09-2014 10:28 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I don't believe that loud pipes save lives....but loud, but not screaming loud, pipes sound pretty cool.

I don't need the man telling me what to do, man. ya dig? Wink

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-09-2014 10:38 AM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
(03-09-2014 10:38 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  I don't believe that loud pipes save lives....but loud, but not screaming loud, pipes sound pretty cool.

I don't need the man telling me what to do, man. ya dig? Wink
I dig, baby, I dig!!!Beer

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
03-09-2014 10:40 AM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(03-09-2014 10:11 AM)Red Mist Wrote:  Now ain't nobody here gonna tell me that when he was in his teens and twenties and thirties, he didn't put a pipe on his bike or do some kind of crazy stuff and do a lot of courtin' and sparkin'.

Now then, along comes kids and wife and house and mebbe a few nice bikes and cars and airplanes and boats, and all that stuff and over time we start to worry about losing those accumulations of worldly goods. So's we start to notice all the stupid dangerous stuff everyone else is doing that threatens our peaceable, productive lives.

Then we decide it's dangerous, wrong, stupid, misguided, and there oughta be a law.

Well, except for the stupid, dangerous stuff that we've decided is OK for us to do.ROFL

All o' my bikes are perfectly stock now and quiet as a cadre of churchmice and they're gonna stay that way. But it's the first time in 30 years. A lot of my bikes had loud pipes, some were well nigh earsplittin' and somehow I managed to make it all those years without anybody tryin' to pound my head because of the racket.

Now here is a philosophical-like qwestion: Should we all pay some kinda penance for our misguided youth?

Oh, I got the answer: bein' pissed off at the younguns for their youthful, reckless, ignorant abandon IS PENANCE.ROFLROFLROFL

Sure, even though I'm a little older now (50) I can make some allowances for youthful exuberance; however, all visual evidence I've seen is that most of the people with loud pipes on their cruisers -- and that is the most common type of bike around here -- are around my age or older. It's a lot harder to excuse obnoxious exhaust in our age group. I'm all for people acting young even when they're not, but not so much when it mindlessly intrudes upon other people's peace and quiet.

Super loud exhaust at our age marks you out as a dimwit IMO. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go yell at some kids on my lawn. Tongue
03-09-2014 11:14 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(03-09-2014 10:28 AM)Red Mist Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 10:06 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Those that like to stir it up usually do get bored here rather quickly and go find some place else to argue.

Why not let the boys blow off a little steam now and then? I haven't seen any name callin' recently.

Ain't there such a thing as a "happy medium" which we call "light-hearted and good-natured banter"? Seems a darn shame if we can't poke some fun around here.

Truth be told the amount of useful information regarding my CB1100 that I have gotten on this forum is just about equivalent to zero, zip, nada. I have had a few laughs, a few chuckles, a few good times. We are all just sufferin' from cabin fever; take that away, and what's left?Sad

You get on a superbike or adventure bike forum, guys are doing a whole lot more adventurous style riding, high-speed riding, bike modifications and so on. So there's a lot more to discuss and argy about. Somehow those forums keep going despite all the controversy and hot blood.

I guess I can conclude I got the right bike but the wrong forum!ROFL

Nothing wrong with lighthearted and good natured banter as long as it doesn't cross over into name calling, slandering and hard feelings. I think Harley riders have taken a pretty serious hit in this thread even though they are not the only ones who ride around with loud pipes. Several on this board also ride Harleys. If I were them I would be offended, and disgusted with it. To me it has crossed the line of
" lighthearted and good natured banter" just as I feared it would when the thread was first posted. Members have told us over and over again how they like the civility and the tone of this forum, and we intend to do everything in our power to keep it that way. Sorry if that doesn't suit you. Some instigators have left on their own, some have been asked never to return and a few have been banned permanently. Anyone is welcome here as long as they play well with others and their main focus is the Honda CB 1100.

I am sorry you are not finding out much useful info about your CB 1100. It appears as if you have started 3 threads since you joined last month, one in which you are very complimentary and descriptive on the attributes of the CB 1100. Not sure exactly what information you are seeking, however if you have specific questions about the bike, feel free to start a thread and ask them up and we will see if we can find an answer that suits you.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-09-2014 11:23 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(03-09-2014 10:28 AM)Red Mist Wrote:  Why not let the boys blow off a little steam now and then? I haven't seen any name callin' recently.

Sure people can poke fun, as long as they don't get carried away. The problem is that some people eventually do tend to get carried away. When it comes to the topic at hand, most people are going to do what they want regardless of someone else feeling the need to rant. So like I said, I'll give this discussion a chance, as long as it remains a civil discussion, but if things get to the point where the only thing resulting from this thread is bitter feelings then I'll shut it down. The tone of this forum was established very early on and that hasn't changed. While some forums might survive with controversy and hot-blooded exchanges, this one will survive without it (or maybe not, but that's how just how it is).

Sorry to hear that you've gained no useful information regarding the CB1100 on this site. I'm hoping that you're the exception rather than the rule. But, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Wink

After further thought, I'm going to go ahead an lock this thread. No hard feelings on my part, but the way I see it is that the best thing that can come from this particular discussion is if people on opposite sides of the topic can simply agree to disagree. If people can't do that then it is unfortunate at best.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 12:08 PM by Guth.)
03-09-2014 11:34 AM
Thread Closed 

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM