Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The last one?
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
The last one?
When I bought my T-100 Bonneville new in 2003, I told my wife that it would probably be my last motorcycle purchase. I even sort of believed it myself ( doubt that given my history, she believed me) I was 53, had planned on retiring at 62. Wasn't riding fast anymore. Thought I would be happy with the Bonneville for the rest of my riding days. It was a lovely motorcycle. Beautiful, smooth, seemed powerful " enough", and I suppose for 1 up riding locally it was. My wife and I towed it to Arizona and spent 2 weeks touring all the National Parks on it. Problem was, it wasn't suited for that. Two small, not powerful enough, not enough braking ability. So I sold the Triumph to my younger brother (he still has it)

I then bought a used 750 Nighthawk. A little bigger that the Triumph, about 50% more power. Again it was great solo around town, But when my wife and I rode the Natchez Trace on it from Tenn to Misissippi we again discovered it wasn't a good 2 up bike...and to tell the truth even with a Plexifairing 3 and soft luggage it still lacked as a tourer even solo. But I enjoyed riding it on Sundays to lunch with my brother on the Triumph, so I kept it.

I then bought a new leftover Yamaha FZ-1, an awesome bike both as a sport bike, and as a tourer. Gobs of power, awesome brakes. My wife was never really comfortable on it though and my son wanted it badly so I sold it to him (he still owns it) and I bought a left over 2006 Honda ST 1300. I now had my dedicated 2 up touring bike, that had plenty of room, power, storage, comfort and brakes and a I still had the 750 Honda for riding around town, but I missed the power and braking of the FZ-1 so I found a used one and bought it. And kept the Nighthawk for riding around with my brother on the Triumph.

In the meantime my wife had bought a new Yamaha 400 Majesty scooter, but she felt funny riding around on a scooter while I was riding a motorcycle, so I found a used one just like hers and bought it so I could scooter around with my wife.

So now I had my 2 up tourer, my sport bike and solo tourer, my roadster and my scooter. The garage and stable was in my opinion " nearly perfect"

Then Honda announced they would be bringing the CB 1100 to the U.S. I always said if they brought it I would buy one ( but it seemed like that was never going to happen), but then it did. Oh lord, what do I do. I offered my brother my FZ-1 at a good price (yes he still has it lol) and sold my 750 Nighthawk to a guy that worked with my son and bought the 2013 CB 1100...and wouldn't you know it, less than a year later Honda announces an updated CB 1100 which suited me more so what is a guy to do? I made a deal for a 2014 by trading in my 2013 CB 1100 and my scooter.

If you are following..since I bought my " last" motorcycle, I have bought SEVEN more " last" motorcycles. Rolleyes

But you know what? I really " think" this is the last one this time. Really. ..... I swear honey!

Now, how many of you have bought your last motorcycle?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-17-2014 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ss2wheels Offline
Running Like a Top

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
RE: The last one?
I wrote when I first joined to this forum that I told my wife that my 2011 black 103 inch HD Streetglide was my last bike purchase at 56 yo, I had just recently sold my DR650 that I had kind of half motarded, really fun to go to work and back! Then bikeless for about 2 weeks, the garage just looked wierd. I told my wife I think I just want a 5000.00 bike that I dont have to stress out about just to ride to work and back and on sundays my only day off, love my Vstar 1100 silverado, I guess im in great shape it is all I need, Damn you Honda for building the 2014 Deluxe.Like you Ferret I am waiting as patiently as possible,I love this forum because now I know for sure that I am not alone in going through about 50 bikes since the day I got my bike permit at 16yo, and you know what, everyone needs at least 2 just incase of a dead battery!
03-17-2014 01:51 PM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
This was my last, CB1100 should last until I die or get too old to ride, after all I said " my 900 Ninja has lasted 25 years".
03-17-2014 02:02 PM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

I bought my Nighthawk thinking it would be the next to last one. If I could ever get my hands on a CB1100 that would be it for me but who knows. I am really enjoying my NH right now and I tell ya its a lot of bang for the buck and I really like it a lot. Its those demons in the back of my head that scare me when these 14's start showing up used.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
03-17-2014 02:20 PM
Mick65 Offline
1st Service Completed

England
I think I wrote only in Jan this year that this CB would be the last bike I'm buying, well my lovely wife has had 3 pillion rides and said she would like another bike of her own, so this coming Saturday it looks like we are getting a Moto Guzzi Nevada Classic.
We have to travel 220 mls to view it so fingers crossed, well the CB looked abit lonely in the garage on its own.....Happy days.....this will be the last bike I'm buying .

Promise..Rolleyes

Anyone tried one of these..
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2014 02:38 PM by Mick65.)
03-17-2014 02:24 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
The last one?
I am not even close to buying my last bike. At 56 I've only just begun. Since the CB1100 I've bought a Kawasaki ZRX 1200R and a 1970 Triumph Bonneville. I'm selling, trading and buying towards an ever elusive goal of the ideal (for me) stable. That being said, I've Got two kids approaching college and I'm looking at retirement in 10 years, so, there will come a time when I'm down to a few, or perhaps one, bike. And it very well might be the CB1100. Or not.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
03-17-2014 02:54 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
The last one?
I feel a it out of place here amongst such dedicated bike owners but, who I got back into riding at 55, I thought the VT750C I bought would see me out. But at about the same time Honda released the CB1100 in Australia, I sat on one and wanted it, but wasn't prepared to pay the A$15,000 asking price. So I resigned myself not unhappily to the Shadow. Then, last year, a mate persuaded me that, if I really, really wanted the CB1100, I should buy a second hand one. It took a bit of work to persuade my wife, but I bought the CB and I think I hope it will last until I no longer want or am able to ride.

Any of you who have ever read "The Wind in the Willows" will recall Mr Toad, a chap who flitted from one obsession to the next. I've a sense that I've more than a little of Mr Toad in me, so it remains to be seen whether some new obsession emerges.

For those of you wrestling with the same demons, good luck!
03-17-2014 03:28 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(03-17-2014 02:24 PM)Mick65 Wrote:  I think I wrote only in Jan this year that this CB would be the last bike I'm buying, well my lovely wife has had 3 pillion rides and said she would like another bike of her own, so this coming Saturday it looks like we are getting a Moto Guzzi Nevada Classic.
We have to travel 220 mls to view it so fingers crossed, well the CB looked abit lonely in the garage on its own.....Happy days.....this will be the last bike I'm buying .

Promise..Rolleyes

Anyone tried one of these..

I've ridden it's twin brother, the V7 Special. Nice bike with decent handling but very much under powered for a 700cc+ bike in my opinion. I bought a Bonneville SE instead which I felt handled better and had far more power. The Guzzi's seat is way better than the Triumph though.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
03-17-2014 03:33 PM
jchoby Offline
1st Service Completed

Ohio
No… I'm kind of looking for a mid 70's CB like the one I originally owned…. There are a few more things I'd like to have in the garage…Triumph, BMW R1200RT….the list could go on
03-17-2014 03:36 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
You blokes are all mainlining motorcycles and will never, never, never kick the habit. I, on the other hand, am strong willed, sure of purpose and know that I can stay clean. I keep away from showrooms and avoid mc magazines. I can keep clean, can't I? Please tell my wife I can. Please.........please.........please..
03-17-2014 07:38 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
I literally, yesterday, put on a T32. br . . .m in sc — 07:52 AM
2021 Guzzi V7 Special
TooSlo, you really dig in this forum t . . .TooSlo — 07:17 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100