Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Flashed ECU for CB1100
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
Flashed ECU for CB1100
There is a company based in Europe with a presents in California with tuners across the USA. ECUnleashed has been around for a long time and works with track teams. I have personal had work done on several bikes.

Just went to there website and BOOM the have added the CB1100. I will be putting in a call to them when they open to get more info. Go to the link below where you can find a local tuner and lets see what they have. I'm very surprised they took the time for R&D for this bike.

http://ecunleashed.com/product/2013-honda-cb1100-2/

All Honda ECU's must go out to California to be flashed. Honda unlike Kawi or Suzuki can not be flashed by the external pins and must be drilled to access an internal pin. The turn around time is two weeks. Still waiting on what the flash includes.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 08:00 AM by CIP57.)
03-25-2014 06:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
RE: Flashed ECU for CB1100
I'll ask Nels at 2 wheel dynoworks which is on their dealers liist. When he did my pcv map, he mentioned he had been flashing certain bike ecus that various guys globally had cracked certain ecus, but not mine. Sometimes guys would just send in the ecu to be done.

hopefully he has details of what exactly the ecu changes would be. For ecu tuning his price list is 199+.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2014 07:51 AM by Deanohh.)
03-25-2014 07:46 AM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
(03-25-2014 07:46 AM)Deanohh Wrote:  I'll ask Nels at 2 wheel dynoworks which is on their dealers liist. When he did my pcv map, he mentioned he had been flashing certain bike ecus that various guys globally had cracked certain ecus, but not mine. Sometimes guys would just send in the ecu to be done.

hopefully he has details of what exactly the ecu changes would be. For ecu tuning his price list is 199+.

Thanks Dean
I have a e-mail into the company. Lets collect all info before we make a determination on exactly what we can expect.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2014 08:02 AM by CIP57.)
03-25-2014 08:01 AM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
How do the ECU flash files get applied?
Once purchased do you own it, apply as needed, maybe via USB?
Do they give you the factory/OEM one to go back to if needed?
or do they need the ECU in person to apply it?
03-25-2014 12:24 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(03-25-2014 12:24 PM)HikerToo Wrote:  How do the ECU flash files get applied?

From my limited experience it's the latter. Normally the dealer/tuner will have a laptop with some software on to perform the flash.

He'll connect the cable from the PC to the bike's ECU port and then run the update. Old ECU map is smoke, and if he fudges it up, so's your ECU Big Grin

Has anyone considered the warranty/reliability implications of this work?

I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but it bought this bike because Honda spent a guzzillion yen designing it. If I wanted to go as fast as possible I'd have just bought a CB1000R and tuned the socks off it!

I want my bike for a long time, not a good time! Shy
03-25-2014 12:39 PM
thessler3 Offline
1st Service Completed

Hamburg, NJ, USA
For those that don't like the speed limiter it sounds like everyone's prayers are answered. I hope to see a detailed writeup soon.

68 CL350, 66 Bonneville, 73 Ducati 750GT, 73 Guzzi V7 Sport, 71 Norton, 76 BMW R90S, 79 GS1000, 81 & 82 GS1100, 75 CB750F, 85 FXRS, 84 Aspencade, 90 Harley Convertible, 95 & 2002 Monsters, 05 Sportster R, 99 Buell S3T, 01 & 04 Speed Triple, 07 Superduke, 07 Tuono V2, Tuono V4, 03 Gold Wing & more
03-25-2014 12:45 PM
Inline4 Offline
(aka Plungerhead)

Memphis, TN area
I wish I knew WTF you guys are talking about! Big Grin
Right now I'm missing the usefulness of my Morgan CarbTune II. ROFL
Actually as most of you know, dialing in a bank of four carbs after a re-jet can be daunting as hell too, but at least I "somewhat" understand what's going on! Tongue

When in doubt, [i]GAS IT!!!![/i]
03-25-2014 04:18 PM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
ECU reflash is simply reprogramming the parameters of the electronic control unit. Anything in there that's changeable can be changed, such as fuel mapping, ignition timing curves (per gear), factory speed restrictions, engine braking, and so on.

You have to remove your ECU and send it to the provider.

ECU reflashing is done by trial and error oftentimes. Dyno tuning is a must for establishing the parameters.

The ECU can be reflashed to the stock program or changed at any time, for most ECUs.

The CB1100 has been up on that website for months but as to whether they have actually developed an effective and safe flash, that remains to be seen.

(03-25-2014 12:39 PM)Tortuga Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 12:24 PM)HikerToo Wrote:  How do the ECU flash files get applied?

From my limited experience it's the latter. Normally the dealer/tuner will have a laptop with some software on to perform the flash.

He'll connect the cable from the PC to the bike's ECU port and then run the update. Old ECU map is smoke, and if he fudges it up, so's your ECU Big Grin

Has anyone considered the warranty/reliability implications of this work?

I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but it bought this bike because Honda spent a guzzillion yen designing it. If I wanted to go as fast as possible I'd have just bought a CB1000R and tuned the socks off it!

I want my bike for a long time, not a good time! Shy
Truth is the CB1100 runs very well as is; some bikes do respond well to a good reflash, though.

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2014 04:30 PM by Red Mist.)
03-25-2014 04:29 PM
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
For the Triumph, I got a Volkswagon type cable and download a free program and it accesses the ecu directly, with check boxes and fill ins for fueling, rpm limit, o2 on or off, air injecton on or off, speedo correction %, and other parameters. Your change what you want, reset, and your done. Except in 2013 they locked us out and the newer Triumphs done give us access.

Anyway talking with Nels, he had done a lot of the common bikes.... zx10's, R1's, R6's, Cbr600r's etc. hasn't done a CB1100. Says its a bit of an unknown until results of the work can be verified before and after on dyno. Says most Hondas cost more to do because several parameters are not accessable with the pins. On those, the ecu must be sent to California and work done at ecunleased because they have to drill a hole in the case to access the circuit board trace(s) they need.... then afterwards unsolder their wire and epoxy up the hole. If they break it they buy a new one. Some bikes get huge hp results like the ZX10 20-30 hp... but the CB600R is tuned so well at the factory to compete with r6's that they get no hp gain at all from the process.

He would like a photo of the ecu with serial number to send an inquiry as to what can be manipulated. Fuel, rev limiter, timing?, speed limiter are probable, eliminate need for PCV?.. not sure what else until they do one. Not sure if the bike they have the data for was stock or had add on's. I can get him the photo if a few days so he can make a specific inquiry. Depending on if the ecu needs to go down there to be opened up or not it might cost $500. You can't change anything in real time like with the PCV. Has to be changed, dynod, changed, dynod, until satisfied.[/align] My bike is running pretty good with the PCV already so I'll need more details

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
03-25-2014 05:31 PM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
(03-25-2014 04:18 PM)Inline4 Wrote:  I wish I knew WTF you guys are talking about! Big Grin
Right now I'm missing the usefulness of my Morgan CarbTune II. ROFL
Actually as most of you know, dialing in a bank of four carbs after a re-jet can be daunting as hell too, but at least I "somewhat" understand what's going on! Tongue

Bikes come to the states and have to meet strict emission control. Bikes sent to Europe usually have a different flash than the USA, although probably not the case with the CB1100.

The flash company will Dyno the bike to get the best performance by removing certain codes

Timing retard ( which usually is 1, 2, and 3rd gear which can be fooled with a Timing retarder eliminator by Ivans making the bike always think its in fourth gear Timing retard forces the bike to decel at open throttle at lower RPM's ( our bike show little to no timing retard )

Optimizes your fuel and air ratio same as a PC5 and permanently locks them in ( you can still run a PC5 to tweak if necessary no need for a reflash)

Eliminates top speed restriction and 02 sensor

Air intake flappers

Pc5's tend to lose there parameters and need to be tweaked once in a while, a flash will not.

Benefits for this bike:
02 sensor gone
Speed limiter gone
Optimized fuel and air ratio ( removal of catalytic converter a big plus )

At this point mine is stock ( i do like HondaJon's setup ) but want to optimize fuel ratio and get rid of the speed limiter and 02 sensor.

I'm sure there is more to explain but our bikes are very simple compared to the sport bikes today.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 05:18 AM by CIP57.)
03-26-2014 04:05 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Mr. P: Sounds like another situation th . . .GoldOxide — 05:42 AM
peterbaron — 05:37 AM