Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....
Pauley Offline
Running Like a Top

SF Bay Area, CA
RE: Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....
Yipes. Does not sound right. Hope it's minor. Please keep us posted on the resolution.
03-30-2014 12:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
Sorry guys I just can't stay away.

1. You read your oil level with engine warm and off, letting oil settle for a couple minutes. Bike on center stand if I remember right. When cold it might fill up the whole window so check warm.

2. That rattle low in the crankcase can be the balancer shaft gears. That funny spline shaft with the little arm on it that doesn't seem to do anything adjusts it. Too loose and it rattles.....too tight and the gears whine. You can use a piece of hose like a stethoscope to pinpoint the sound.... If its head valves or down low.

3. Its up to the dealer to fix this under warranty I think, although it might be just an adjustment which they might have set(incorrectly) at servicing. I think you need experience to do it properly.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
03-30-2014 12:19 PM
dBuster Offline
Running Like a Top

La Crosse, WI
The oil was checked when warm... AND on the center stand.

I agree it will be the dealership to fix it!

Wonder if they will give me a loaner? A new 2014 as a loaner! One can hope...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 09:21 PM by dBuster.)
03-30-2014 12:35 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
How was it on the way back from the service?
03-30-2014 01:21 PM
dBuster Offline
Running Like a Top

La Crosse, WI
Re: Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....
It was fine on the way home from service. I did have my helmet on for the trip home maybe I didn't notice it...

Frustrating it is not being able to ride now.. I just hope it is something easy for them to fix.

03-30-2014 01:53 PM
vfrpaul98 Offline
1st Service Completed

cumming ga
balancer shaft gear lash needs to be tightened up a tad. let the dealer make the adjustment so he will recognize it next time. you notice that slight throttle makes the noise go away, the balancer drive and driven gears are now loaded and not able to chatter back and forth at idle.
Paul.
03-30-2014 02:14 PM
CIP57 Offline
High Mileage

NY & NC
D,
I hate bringing anything to the dealer. If it was my bike, i would pick up a new Honda filter and Honda 10-30 ( not 40) syn. oil. Put in 4 full qts. Warm the bike up until it reaches its normal idle on the center stand. If you still have the rap bring it in. When i put 5-40 in my bike at the first oil change i had that lower end rap. Who knows what kind of oil the dealer put in your bike.

Does not look like your bike was on the center stand but you should see oil on the bottom level line when running with 4 full qts. i don't see anything. After a fresh oil change put your bike on the center stand in a area where you always check your oil. confirm that reading and work off that during oil checks. This bike is very hard to get a true reading.

1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
03-30-2014 03:42 PM
dBuster Offline
Running Like a Top

La Crosse, WI
Re: Getting ready for the riding season greeted by bad sounds....
When I took those videos the bike was on the side stand. When it is on the center stand you do see oil at the bottom of the sight glass level mark. It is super clean oil and is difficult to see. Maybe I should have done the videos with the center stand but that is hind sight.

As far as the dealership, we have to trust someone. The bike is under warranty so they mess it up they get it fixed. Now my xs850 wouldn't be serviced there, after all it is 34 years old, older than the kids working the service department...

I keep running through my head the worst but I am hoping for the best. Being an American Legion Rider, part of membership you must have a bike to do the fund raising rides... Hopefully I get it fixed before the first ride...

03-30-2014 05:29 PM
vfrpaul98 Offline
1st Service Completed

cumming ga
(03-30-2014 02:14 PM)vfrpaul98 Wrote:  balancer shaft gear lash needs to be tightened up a tad. let the dealer make the adjustment so he will recognize it next time. you notice that slight throttle makes the noise go away, the balancer drive and driven gears are now loaded and not able to chatter back and forth at idle.
Paul.
please ask the dealer to accurately check the engine idle rpm cold and hot to verify it is within factory spec 1100 rpm+/-100rpm. low idle rpm can cause this gear chatter noise.
this test cannot be done by reading the bikes factory tach. it must be checked using an electronic tach accurate to 50 rpm or the HONDA HDS TOOL or HONDA'S DR.H laptop diagnostic system. a good dealer will have either.
Paul.
03-30-2014 06:03 PM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
(03-30-2014 06:03 PM)vfrpaul98 Wrote:  
(03-30-2014 02:14 PM)vfrpaul98 Wrote:  balancer shaft gear lash needs to be tightened up a tad. let the dealer make the adjustment so he will recognize it next time. you notice that slight throttle makes the noise go away, the balancer drive and driven gears are now loaded and not able to chatter back and forth at idle.
Paul.
please ask the dealer to accurately check the engine idle rpm cold and hot to verify it is within factory spec 1100 rpm+/-100rpm. low idle rpm can cause this gear chatter noise.
this test cannot be done by reading the bikes factory tach. it must be checked using an electronic tach accurate to 50 rpm or the HONDA HDS TOOL or HONDA'S DR.H laptop diagnostic system. a good dealer will have either.
Paul.
Follow Paul's advice. BTW the KLR650 has a very similar issue, involving a part everyone has elected to call the "doohickey". Sounds like something is rattling to pieces, it's just the balancer adjustment out of whack.

http://www.klrworld.com/index.php?option...Itemid=227

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
03-30-2014 06:49 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
It's fun to read all these comments...ma . . .pdedse — 06:56 AM