Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Engine clicking/ticking metallic noise! WTF?
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
Engine clicking/ticking metallic noise! WTF?
Ok, so my bike's only got 350 miles on when I take it for a ride tonight, and notice when I rev it up a bit at some traffic lights some nasty noises. Sounds like a metallic 'ting ting' which I'm imagining to be huge lumps of swarf destroying my engine.

It's when I stopped and checked it seems to be when I open the throttle from idle as in 'blipping the throttle' that this nasty noise eminates.

I've read the other threads concerning fuel injectors etc, but WHY would mine only start making these noises after 350 plus miles?

P.s checked the oil sight glass after 5 mins stationary at a pub I stopped at and couldn't see any line at all..looked solid, and yes I wiped the glass.

Help!Undecided
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 04:23 PM by Tortuga.)
04-11-2014 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Engine clicking/ticking metallic noise! WTF?
Seems all Hondas I've ever owned came from the factory overfilled. I no longer worry about it, but will probably drain mine this weekend and refresh out of principal, but I wouldn't be afraid to run mine to the 600 mile service. I'm halfway there already. Drain some if it makes you feel better.

The ticking noise we have identified as injectors seems to be loudest when accelerating just after shifting into second gear, but it is there all the time, just loudest when under load, thats why many of us unfamiliar with injector noises thought it was pre detonation from too low of a grade of fuel.

If you think it might be something more ominous, I suggest you swing by the shop where you bought the bike and let them listen to it.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-11-2014 05:07 PM
dBuster Offline
Running Like a Top

La Crosse, WI
On my noisy bike thread you can hear the ticks I believe, along with the bad noise. The ticks though are there and normal. If you think it is different do a video and share so we all can hear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

04-11-2014 09:00 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(04-11-2014 04:09 PM)Tortuga Wrote:  It's when I stopped and checked it seems to be when I open the throttle from idle as in 'blipping the throttle' that this nasty noise eminates.

Hey Tortuga,

I think I know which sound you're talking about. The most noticable of the ticking sounds is under hard acceleration. It's a rhythmic ticking that starts when the throttle is opened substantially.

On the ticking thread last year, I also noted that there is a similar ticking when you blip the throttle at idle. This one is not rhythmic and only consists of one or two ticks when you open the throttle, then one or two when you close it. I believe these ticks have the same source as the "wide open throttle" ticking. It appears to be switches or relays in FI system responding to the change in throttle position. Mine has been doing it since new.

I think the problem is that these bikes are so quiet, you can easily hear all of the electro mechanical noises that are usually covered up by a noisier bike.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
04-11-2014 11:40 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
You guys are all my heroes!Thanks

You've consoled me that my bike isn't going to explode any second now. I will keep an ear out and maybe drop the oil as a precaution.

I forgot to mention, since my bike was a year old when I got it but had only covered 104 miles, the dealership serviced it for me (supposedly) before I picked it up, so if it is overfilled it is their fault rather than the japs who made it.

I also doubt they put the prescribed 10-30W oil in as I envisage a bulk tank of 10-40W in the corner of the workshop and a mechanic who couldn't care less what oil he uses!

Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age (early forties) lol.

Cool
04-12-2014 01:00 AM
wildezt Offline
Running Like a Top

United States
Early forties ??? Pftttt.....tis nothing...!

let's roll...The ferret
04-12-2014 06:01 AM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
I agree with dealer bulk tank, we have a Nissan Murano that came with "free" oil changes, the oil cap and manual said to use 5-30, when I specified they use that weight they said it would be extra because that is special...so essentially they were offering free oil only in the wrong weight, if I wanted the recommended weight, I had to pay....I switched dealers regardless of free or not.
04-12-2014 07:13 AM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
(04-12-2014 07:13 AM)HikerToo Wrote:  I agree with dealer bulk tank, we have a Nissan Murano that came with "free" oil changes, the oil cap and manual said to use 5-30, when I specified they use that weight they said it would be extra because that is special...so essentially they were offering free oil only in the wrong weight, if I wanted the recommended weight, I had to pay....I switched dealers regardless of free or not.
That's absurd. Not using the specified oil can void the warranty. Of course you switched dealers.

Don't anyone wear earplugs? I wouldn't hear the noise if it was there, which it ain't.

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 05:17 PM by Red Mist.)
04-12-2014 05:15 PM
dBuster Offline
Running Like a Top

La Crosse, WI
Re: RE: Engine clicking/ticking metallic noise! WTF?
That's absurd. Not using the specified oil can void the warranty.
[/quote]

So when my dealership did my first service and they did not use the recommended 10w30 they voided my warranty!?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

04-12-2014 05:30 PM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
(04-12-2014 05:30 PM)dBuster Wrote:  So when my dealership did my first service and they did not use the recommended 10w30 they voided my warranty!?

What did they use? Fish oil?ROFL
Don't they show that on the work order?

"4 quarts Cod Liver Oil"
"1 Cotton Wad Filter"

I service all my own bikes and keep records of the purchases of oil, filters, and other items. So I know for sure what was poured in. My bikes only have a one-year warranty anyway and one of 'em is up, the others will be up soon. So if they break after that it's on me anyway.

But back to the car...if the guy had a deal for free maintenance (many dealers do this now for at least two years) then they gotta use the oil recommended by the manufacturer, not whatever they have layin' around, or whatever's convenient. So that ain't right and the guy was smart to find another dealership. And he'd have had a good case to make to Nissan Corporate about this.

And anyhoo it's just plain stoopid for a service department to say they would refuse to use the oil that is clearly recommended on the oil filler cap!

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
04-12-2014 10:29 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,754

Full Statistics

>