Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
At a Loss for words.
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
RE: At a Loss for words.
I hax something similar happen to me when I bought my first 93 750 nighthawk. I had it for 8 days and totalled it I an odd low speed crash in a parking lot. The killer was breaking 3 of the fins off the head, otherwise it wouldn't have been that bad.
I'm glad you got it replaced. Now go have fun and be safe!
04-30-2014 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
At a Loss for words.
Good news, Strangeone. Enjoy the new bike. Again.
04-30-2014 03:08 PM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
Good news, Strangeone. Happy trails!
05-01-2014 09:47 AM
Red Mist Offline
Running Like a Top

USA
(04-14-2014 03:04 PM)Tortuga Wrote:  Having ruminated on this for a few hours I'd be keen to suggest the rider for one, but ALL OF US re-assess our riding technique and look for ways to sharpen them.

I'm a rider with nearly 30 years riding experience under my belt, most of which was legal and on road.

I worked as an instructor and learnt as I taught.

I do believe Keith Code and his California Race School offer a lot of good advice that ALL should pay attention to.

Accidents are often avoidable if we don't get sucked into 'target fixation' which is the main cause of single vehicle bike accidents.

The OP stated that he 'sat the bike up' which seems to be the cause of many crashes. Sometimes 'looking where you want to go' prevents 'going where you look'!

I don't want to appear harsh, I've just seen many avoidable accident from poor planning (for the worst case scenario..as the police ride) or target fixation.

Maybe I should start a new thread to keep this poor guy out of it?
Yes, you should. Let's harp, hammer, and shame people into taking closed-course schools. Oddly enough, Tortuga and I have been riding exactly the same number of years, 30. I have never had such an accident, and I often wonder why. However when I truly assess the reasons, it all adds up to training and experience.

Yes, there are situations that just have no out. But as Tortuga says, the vast majority of these accidents are just "incidents along the way" for certain riders who have the instantaneous skillset to avoid them. I chalk mine up first to lots and lots of dirt riding, rear-wheel steering, learning to really slide both ends of the bike and judge traction under braking as well as acceleration; and second, to thousands of miles of track time after doing a lot of reputable schools.

That shite starts to come in as "muscle memory" after a few years.

All that said, anyone of us can go out tomorrow and eat shite, regardless of all the schools, dirt riding, and track days in the world.

But the odds are much more in our favor with training. We are operating a machine, and the more skillful we are, the less likely to have a problem. That's not ego, it's just factual.

I been trying to get my neighbor to go to a track day for a long time, and he just won't have anything to do with it. It scares him.

Lemme say I would rather be on a racetrack with everyone going the same direction and no SUVs coming over the yellow than trying to "hone my skills" on the local winding road. Sure, you might have someone give you a close shave, but even if you fall down you most likely won't get hurt.

I was at a couple of track days last weekend and saw three accidents. All three riders walked away, no problems. The ambulance never rolled.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. The ambulance and paramedics are on-site. Try that on your favorite mountain road.

I have taught scores of new riders to ride on the racetrack and have a good sense of what it's all about. Every one of them came away a better rider.

So please, ride defensively, don't ride in a hurry, and get all the training you can. A racetrack is a hell of a lot safer than a public road.

[i]Does anybody remember laughter?[/i]
-Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant ROFL
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 08:23 PM by Red Mist.)
05-01-2014 08:22 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
+1. I spent about 3 years club racing and that did more for honing my skills than anything else. You quickly learn to ride a bike to its limits (in a relatively safe environment), which translates into great accident avoidance skills on the road.

Ever since then I've never felt the need to go all out on the street. It's a pretty poor substitute for a good road course.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
05-01-2014 09:02 PM
strangeone78 Offline
Break-In Period

United States
(04-30-2014 07:14 AM)strangeone78 Wrote:  Good News, My insurance came through and i will be picking up my new 2013 CB1100 this Friday. - This time I plan to keep it on the road!!! Cool

I got it, rode it all weekend. still an awesome bike. VIN #100

2013 CB1100, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 1982 CB900F, 1986 Rebel (bobber/rat rod), 1976 Harley Davidson 1000 Iron Head, 1985 CB450SC /Nighthawk,
05-06-2014 01:59 PM
Tortuga Offline
High Mileage

UK
(05-01-2014 08:22 PM)Red Mist Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 03:04 PM)Tortuga Wrote:  Having ruminated on this for a few hours I'd be keen to suggest the rider for one, but ALL OF US re-assess our riding technique and look for ways to sharpen them.

I'm a rider with nearly 30 years riding experience under my belt, most of which was legal and on road.

I worked as an instructor and learnt as I taught.

I do believe Keith Code and his California Race School offer a lot of good advice that ALL should pay attention to.

Accidents are often avoidable if we don't get sucked into 'target fixation' which is the main cause of single vehicle bike accidents.

The OP stated that he 'sat the bike up' which seems to be the cause of many crashes. Sometimes 'looking where you want to go' prevents 'going where you look'!

I don't want to appear harsh, I've just seen many avoidable accident from poor planning (for the worst case scenario..as the police ride) or target fixation.

Maybe I should start a new thread to keep this poor guy out of it?
Yes, you should. Let's harp, hammer, and shame people into taking closed-course schools. Oddly enough, Tortuga and I have been riding exactly the same number of years, 30. I have never had such an accident, and I often wonder why. However when I truly assess the reasons, it all adds up to training and experience.

Yes, there are situations that just have no out. But as Tortuga says, the vast majority of these accidents are just "incidents along the way" for certain riders who have the instantaneous skillset to avoid them. I chalk mine up first to lots and lots of dirt riding, rear-wheel steering, learning to really slide both ends of the bike and judge traction under braking as well as acceleration; and second, to thousands of miles of track time after doing a lot of reputable schools.

That shite starts to come in as "muscle memory" after a few years.

All that said, anyone of us can go out tomorrow and eat shite, regardless of all the schools, dirt riding, and track days in the world.

But the odds are much more in our favor with training. We are operating a machine, and the more skillful we are, the less likely to have a problem. That's not ego, it's just factual.

I been trying to get my neighbor to go to a track day for a long time, and he just won't have anything to do with it. It scares him.

Lemme say I would rather be on a racetrack with everyone going the same direction and no SUVs coming over the yellow than trying to "hone my skills" on the local winding road. Sure, you might have someone give you a close shave, but even if you fall down you most likely won't get hurt.

I was at a couple of track days last weekend and saw three accidents. All three riders walked away, no problems. The ambulance never rolled.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. The ambulance and paramedics are on-site. Try that on your favorite mountain road.

I have taught scores of new riders to ride on the racetrack and have a good sense of what it's all about. Every one of them came away a better rider.

So please, ride defensively, don't ride in a hurry, and get all the training you can. A racetrack is a hell of a lot safer than a public road.

Well said, that man!

(05-01-2014 09:02 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  +1. I spent about 3 years club racing and that did more for honing my skills than anything else. You quickly learn to ride a bike to its limits (in a relatively safe environment), which translates into great accident avoidance skills on the road.

Ever since then I've never felt the need to go all out on the street. It's a pretty poor substitute for a good road course.

Quite right, there's a 'time and a place' for everything.

(05-06-2014 01:59 PM)strangeone78 Wrote:  
(04-30-2014 07:14 AM)strangeone78 Wrote:  Good News, My insurance came through and i will be picking up my new 2013 CB1100 this Friday. - This time I plan to keep it on the road!!! Cool

I got it, rode it all weekend. still an awesome bike. VIN #100

It all worked out good in the end then, and great to get to lucky number too. Rock on, be safe.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 02:27 PM by Tortuga.)
05-06-2014 02:25 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,755

Full Statistics